android
Old 01-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Default New Firmware: 1.11.01

Just wanted to make everyone aware of the firmware update that has been posted on Creative's website: Creative ZEN X-Fi2 Firmware 1.11.01

Quote:
Enhancements:
  • Reduces the press-and-hold time when you turn your player on.
  • Ensures a smooth process when turning the player off.
  • Improves the player's stability when using FM radio.

Cheers,
Your friendly neighborhood
Dark Lord

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2010, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the update!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 PM

Well this is great I had 2 major gripes with this player, glad to see 1 being fixed.

You just gotta press the power button for 2 seconds now & release it, the player starts off in a while. Great!

The other gripe was the video stutter issue that gets me thinking maybe the processor in it ain't powerful enough?

Coz "FLAC" files are limited to a certain bitrate & they skip if the bitrate goes higher. Same for the videos if the bitrate is high the vid freezes/skips.

I hope that's not the case if it is then it's a shocker honestly it would mean the Vision:M's processor packs more grunt than this one.

Or maybe they've limited the processor usage for videos/FLAC files to get a better battery life.

eg. How the PSP first launched had it's processor running at 230 MHz something instead off the mentioned specs off 333 MHz.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 PM

I haven't had a video stutter issue, what codec are you using(and other settings)?

233, and that might be something they did considering the already short battery life. Can't find any tech sheets on the processor though T.T

Old 01-08-2010, 02:53 AM

Yeah stuttering thingy doesn't happen if I re-encode videos. The normal one's which you get off torrents xvid/mp3 codec one's mostly all off them stutter at some point where as the same play perfect on the Vision:M.

That's what I thought maybe the processor is running at a reduced speed or something.

Any info. on the brand(company) the processor is off? SigmaTel? or some other brand? Texas Instruments?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluedream View Post
Yeah stuttering thingy doesn't happen if I re-encode videos. The normal one's which you get off torrents xvid/mp3 codec one's mostly all off them stutter at some point where as the same play perfect on the Vision:M.

That's what I thought maybe the processor is running at a reduced speed or something.

Any info. on the brand(company) the processor is off? SigmaTel? or some other brand? Texas Instruments?
It's a (SigmaTel) STMP3780.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 AM

Well of course I would expect them to need re-encoding. I'm surprised they work fine in the Vision:M without issue, I wonder what the cause is.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 AM

I have teh stuttering issue too. And same here i don't think i ha d to ever once renecode or convert a movie on my vision m .. anything played on tehr e .. now withis player i need at elast 2 hours if not more or not at all to get a movie on it to play in teh av out!!

Old 01-08-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejoose View Post
I have the stuttering issue too. I don't think I had to ever once reencode or convert a movie on my Vision:M. Anything played on there. Now with this player I need at least 2 hours, if not more, to get a movie on it to play in the AV-Out!
Had to.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM

my videos run WAY better off the microsd chip, no stuttering, no sync loss.

i think it's because the transflash memory uses the same bus as the proc or something like that.
anyway can anyone confirm that video is indeed playing better from the microsd for them?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:36 PM

I have been nagging & begging Creative to fix the issues with

#1 The Xfi2 is extremely buggy about recognizing album art, it doesn't matter what you use... fix IT....

Note: my X-fi had no problem with album art, but the X-fi2 seems to randomly decide which ones it will exhibit.

#2 PLEASE!! let me turn off the speaker permanently, until I want it on.

if they were to fix those 2 issues, I would be extremely happy...

Dave

Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 PM

These may seem like stupid questions but.....

If I install the new firmware will all my current settings and content stay on the player?

Will installing the new firmware cause any new problems?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 PM

yes on the first, no on the second.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 PM

I haven't checked via microSD I will do so by today & let you know if there's stuttering issue or not.

Regarding Album art question -

This thing will only display Album Art if it's embedded in the ID3 tag. Winamp won't help. The only program with a 100% result I found is iTunes, the other seems to be Creative Centrale.

XFi1 displayed Album art without an issue since it was a MTP device this ain't. Either they can make it MTP/MSC (giving the user freedom to choose) then it'll pick up Album-Arts via Windows Media Player.

I don't think they can fix it any other way. The player's software is as such.

Regarding Speaker, unplug your headphones. Make the Speaker volume 0. Then plug your headphones back.

This coz the headphone/ player speaker have different volume levels depending on the one connected.

That way you'll never hear the speaker. There's an option in Player settings to turn off speaker but I haven't tried it. I follow the routine mentioned above, works for me.

Edit - Checked the video via the microSD card no luck. It still freezes. Though the freezing was a little bit less say 25% less for the same file played on the player.

Last edited by skybluedream; 01-08-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_burrows View Post
These may seem like stupid questions but.....

If I install the new firmware will all my current settings and content stay on the player?

Will installing the new firmware cause any new problems?
Updating firmware will likely reset all of your settings back to factory default, but it will not disturb your content.

There is always risk involved with firmware installs. You should always have a complete backup of all your content.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 AM

I have 25 gig of music loaded onto my X-fi2 100% of it came from CD's and is in MP3 format...

I have tried WMP and Centrale..... both of them show the album art when open, but for some mysterious reason, 20% of the art show up on the Xfi2 screen.

There shoud be ZERO reason for me to download another 3rd party software to make the album art work...

if Creative would fix the issues associated with Centrale, there would be no problems.

I am extremely tired of their tech support repeatedly deferring me to FAQ filles that I have nothing to do with the actual problem.

when my X-fi2 dies, so does my association with Creative

Dave

Old 01-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Dave: You'll have the same 20% no-art problem with any other player. It's due to no agreement between WMP, Creative, and others as to a standard for art in media files. WMP puts art as seperate files in the folder with your ripped CDs, but not in the MP3s themselves. That's why art shows up in WMP. It's not mysterious. I don't use Centrale, but it no doubt has it's own strategy for finding and showing you the album art. The X-Fi2 knows only one place to look (in each MP3 file) for art to display, and it may be picky about how big (or small) that art image can be. If you're music includes some WMA or AAC or FLAC, etc., then you've got additional art problems. Each format does art differently, and some don't do art at all.

Look in any device forum here and you'll find "album art doesn't show" threads. It's and industry-wide "problem", and one reason Apple and the Zune only play a small subset of the possible music formats.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I have 25 gig of music loaded onto my X-fi2 100% of it came from CD's and is in MP3 format...

I have tried WMP and Centrale..... both of them show the album art when open, but for some mysterious reason, 20% of the art show up on the Xfi2 screen.

Dave
i use all flac files and so ill NEVER be able to see album art so stop whining like a big baby and fix your id3 tags.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:39 PM

baddazzmofo---

Regading whining,....You and I seem to be tied in whining on the internet about the X-fi2. Mine is for album art... yours is for a fix of the volume control.

: -)

I'd be really happy if Creative Tech Support were to give me instructions on how to fix the ID tags.... using Centrale!!!

Otherwise, I see no reason for them to be offering Centrale

Old 01-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Using centrale:

Highlight the song (by clicking once on it).
click on edit. (top menu)
Wait a few second for a properties window to pop up.
Edit any entry you see, or simply add info to the tags shown. Click + to add art.
When you have everything as you like it, click on OK.