android
Old 01-06-2010, 06:52 PM

Default Great news!

E-Mail back and forth with Creatives developers.

....and as I was copying the message here I read the :this is only for you don't copy or we'll sue you" part.

Suffice to say we'll be getting help from Creative in the near future.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2010, 10:05 PM

So is that a good thing? or bad?

Like they don't mind us tinkering with the firmware/apps? Or they want us to stop they'll send the lawsuit on our door? lol

Old 01-06-2010, 10:25 PM

While doing a little bit of browsing I ran across this article talking about a software design contest for the X-Fi2 that Creative is hosting in China. A link to Creative's Chinese page describing the contest is here. On that page is also a link to the "Design Contest Kit Software" that I would imaging is also in Chinese.

Anyway... just doin' my part to spread rumors and such.

EDIT: Okay... you guys are in for a treat. The "Design Contest Kit Software" download was a PDF File and several videos. The videos are of several more games including 'Solitaire' and a Galaxian type 'Fighter' game all running on the X-Fi2. Even though the PDF is mostly in Chinese there seems to be mention of a 'ZEN_X-Fi2_Simulator', as well as a bunch of stuff about LUA.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Your friendly neighborhood
Dark Lord

Last edited by LordXenos; 01-06-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 PM

Good thing, they are putting a package together(in english) for us and will release it soon.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXenos View Post
While doing a little bit of browsing I ran across this article talking about a software design contest for the X-Fi2 that Creative is hosting in China. A link to Creative's Chinese page describing the contest is here. On that page is also a link to the "Design Contest Kit Software" that I would imaging is also in Chinese.

Anyway... just doin' my part to spread rumors and such.

EDIT: Okay... you guys are in for a treat. The "Design Contest Kit Software" download was a PDF File and several videos. The videos are of several more games including 'Solitaire' and a Galaxian type 'Fighter' game all running on the X-Fi2. Even though the PDF is mostly in Chinese there seems to be mention of a 'ZEN_X-Fi2_Simulator', as well as a bunch of stuff about LUA.

Enjoy!
DP I know, excuse it.

Just finished downloading that pack. The accelerometer demo video made me soo happy. I was afraid that the accelerometer wasn't that sensitive! Can't wait! Going to see if I can find any info from the pdf.

Translation of pdf:

Code:
   1. Lua engine and ZEN X-Fi2 describes Copyright  2009-2010 Creative Technology Ltd. 
   2. Main content:  small and powerful Lua language  Lua Applications  Lua application prospects  ZEN X-Fi2 - Touch your X-Fi Music Heaven  Lua engine - expand your ZEN X-Fi2  ZEN X-Fi2 because you and different 
   3. A small and powerful Lua • Lua language description: Lua is a small scripting language. The language is designed for embedded applications, so as to provide a flexible application, expansion and customization capabilities. 
   4. Small but powerful Lua • Lua language description: Lua script can easily be C / C + + code to call, you can turn call the C / C + + function, which makes Lua in your application can be widely used. Not only as an extension script can be used as an ordinary configuration files instead of XML, Ini and other file formats, and easier to understand and maintain. Lua is written by the standard C code simple and beautiful, in almost all operating systems and platforms can be compiled and run. A complete Lua interpreter, but 200k, all the scripts in the current engines, Lua is the fastest speed. All this determines the Lua as an embedded scripting the best choice. 
   5. A small and powerful Lua • Lua features: Lightweight - Lua language only includes a streamlined core and basic libraries. This makes Lua small, start fast, and thus embedded in other programs where appropriate. Extensible - Lua is not as many other "large" language as including many features. However, Lua can easily be extended: by the host language (usually C or C + +) to provide these functions, Lua can use them, like the already built-in functioning. Other features - Lua also has some other features: supports both process-oriented programming and object-oriented programming; automatic memory management; to provide a series of data structures, including arrays, linked lists, collections, dictionary, hash table, etc.; language built-in regular expression -type matching; closure (closure); function can also be seen as a value; to provide multi-threading support; and so on. 
   6. Small but powerful extension of Lua • Read: 1.http: / / www.Luaer.cn China Lua Developer 2.http: / / bbs.Luaer.cn Lua Forum 3.http: / / manual.Luaer. cn Lua online manual 4.http: / / Lua-users.org/wiki / Lua Wikipedia 5.http: / / www.Luaforge.net/ Lua source code repository 6.http: / / www.Lua.org Lua's official Website 7.http: / / book.Luaer.cn Lua online tutorial to learn Lua 
   7. Lua Application Examples • PSP - will be widely used in Lua is highly popular PSP handheld entertainment device, built-in Lua engine, the user can not only play games for the PSP, if there is Lua base to write an own small P games, but also a people very much looking forward to things. 
   8. Lua Application Examples • PSP - will be widely used in Lua is LuaPlayer side of the PSP in the PC emulator, enthusiasts use it, you can easily develop a variety of small game. Unique scalability, as well as the support of many fans, making PSP games are constantly growing family. 
   9. Lua Application Examples • World of Warcraft - the Lua Applications Lua to a near perfect handheld entertainment device, not only in the outstanding performance in some big games the same excellence. World of Warcraft client built-in Lua engine, its plug-ins using the Lua language to complete the game enthusiasts use a variety of plug-ins can be a rich experience of more dazzling interface and convenient operation. Right picture to use Lua scripts to enhance implementation of Warcraft chat assistant plug-in. 
  10. Lua Application Examples • World of Warcraft - will be applied to almost perfect Lua installed the appropriate plug-in, the user can interface into your favorite style, you can get in the game for all their help: Dan Lian, team, tasks, maps, collecting, etc. can also query task, a button lift, backpack management, mail management, career help, injury statistics and so on. So many powerful features can be achieved through the Lua scripts. Of course, the user can not only use the plug-in, World of Warcraft provides a rich API, users can use Lua to write their own plug-ins in order to meet their own needs. Details can refer to: http://wiki.cwowaddon.com 
  11. Lua application prospects due to Lua extensible features, Lua in various fields has been widely used. In addition to applications in games, but also widely used in networking, databases, and other fields. Lua easy to use features, to a certain extent, reduce the complexity of the code is implemented, the program developers can put more energy into the framework design, new technology research. Configuration, extending a variety of plug-ins Lua engine, custom application / gaming / embedded devices 
  12. ZEN X-Fi2 - Touch your X-Fi Music Heaven ZEN X-Fi2 is the classic ZEN family of products in the first touch screen player, ZEN X-Fi2 with you, arrive in pure music heaven. Built-in X-Fi audio to enhance your listening experience will be greatly satisfied. X-Fi industry-leading ultra-fidelity sound, will bring you more fullness, the real performance of the sound field, and more musical detail. 
  13. ZEN X-Fi2 - Touch your X-Fi Music Heaven ZEN X-Fi2 also possesses large-screen video output, RSS web subscriptions, built-in speaker, 8GB/16GB/32GB large-capacity, MicroSD expansion of capacity. More features, more entertainment, among the best in the fingertips touch, ZEN X-Fi2 lets you easily grasp. Can be found at Creative's official website for more information: http://sg.creative.com/ 
  14. Lua engine - expand your ZEN X-Fi2 ZEN X-Fi2 the first built-in LUA is an innovative virtual machine products. Users can write on demand a variety of applications, such as: calculator, dictionary and other tools application, sudoku, snowballing and other puzzle games. 
  15. Lua engine - expand your ZEN X-Fi2  ZEN X-Fi2 scalable modules - GUI ZEN X-Fi2 with 26 million colors, 3.0-inch TFT touch wide-screen resolution of 400  240. You can restore the color details of the real . • Support for screen rotation. • Support for basic graphics operations, such as filling, draw lines, draw a rectangle and so on. • Support for a variety of common image formats such as BMP, JPEG, and PNG. • Support for UNICODE characters, and can randomly change the font, size, color and so on. 
  16. Lua engine - expand your ZEN X-Fi2 ➢ ZEN X-Fi2 scalable modules - sound module according to the needs of the application timely play a specific sound files, you can make an application to be richer performance. This module allows users to easily achieve today's popular piano, Jin Orchestra games. ● Support ● beep sound support PCM format wave file playback ● support for sound adjustment, mute setting ● support for speakers and headphones to switch 
  17. Lua engine - expand your ZEN X-Fi2  ZEN X-Fi2 scalable modules - control module control module is mainly responsible for the user's operation, by the application based on user action-driven applications, to control the application's purpose. • touch screen can be closely monitored at any time to monitor key events • events • Sensors can be closely monitored events ZEN X-Fi2 built-in 3D acceleration sensor, the application can always monitor the player's X, Y, Z three directions of acceleration. Some of the popular games, such as balance balls, cars and so can be used to achieve three-dimensional acceleration sensor. 
  18. Lua engine - expand your ZEN X-Fi2 innovation in upcoming global launch ZEN X-Fi2 development package, mainly include:  ZEN X-Fi2 Developer's Guide  ZEN X-Fi2 API Interface Details  ZEN X-Fi2 in the PC end of the simulation software  graphics modules, sound modules, control module of the demo program 
  19. Lua engine - expand your ZEN X-Fi2 ZEN X-Fi2 in the PC side of the simulation software - ZEN_X-Fi2_Simulator With the PC side of the simulation software, fans can easily write in LUA scripts on a PC, to simulate running results. PC terminal emulator under the photo shows the main interface: 
  20. Lua engine - expand your ZEN X-Fi2 respected in today's era of personalized, hand-held entertainment device manufacturers to provide a variety of users more freedom to customize, extend functionality. Innovation in product development will focus on the future of Lua technology, launched a series of functions with a Lua virtual machine a new product, users enjoy the innovative products and our high-quality music, it is also free to play to their creativity. 
  21. ZEN X-Fi2 because you and different built-in Lua engine ZEN X-Fi2 since the release by the majority of fans support and attention, more and more people to join the ZEN X-Fi2, and ZEN X-Fi2 to achieve their creative dreams. If you have good ideas, please visit: Creativity Unlimited - Creative Software Design Competition: http://www.creativelua.com/ ZEN X-Fi2 look forward to your joining!

Last edited by ThievingSix; 01-07-2010 at 02:23 AM.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 AM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

Brilliant - Although i'm a little sad that the old notepad coding going to be superseded (it's so rewarding when it works) this might attract professional game companies (such as popcap) to make and sell very high quality apps.

That file on the chinese website says "website not found" when I follow the link. Could anyone who has downloaded it please rehost it on mediafire or something (only takes a second). Thank you

Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 AM

I don't see how it's been superseded, the LUA code still needs to be typed plain text.

Original link: http://redsist.ustc.edu*****2009/creative/data.zip

For some reason I can't post this link.

http://
redsist.ustc.edu.cn
/2009/
creative/
data.zip

Add the pieces.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

Oh I see - for some reason I was thinking they were gunna bring out a graphical IDE for it. Hurrah - all my learning over the last few weeks isn't wasted. The runner will be brilliant though, no more having to keep plugging it into the computer to discover you accidently only put one = in an if statement :P

Thanks for the file

Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM

It's the dotcn/ that make problems,,,
Looks like anything but ipod is blocking links to China.

The pdf only, if you don't want to DL 120MB. and the mpg video's
http://www.exras.netne.net/pdf_only.zip

Great news about the SDK thingy.

Jan_DK

Last edited by Jan_DK; 01-07-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 PM

all this and they cant fix the lousy volume control.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Help me see if understand what's happening here:

1 - The X-Fi2 supports a scripting language called LUA that simply runs and doesn't need compiling? True, partially true, or false?

2 - Creative is sponsoring an app design competition and providing a PC-Based simulator for testing LUA code? True, partially true, or false?

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post

1 - The X-Fi2 supports a scripting language called LUA that simply runs and doesn't need compiling?
Yes, the applications the users create at this time do not need compiling.
The applications that comes with the firmware is compiled, and can be decompiled partially with "Luadec".

Quote:
2 - Creative is sponsoring an app design competition and providing a PC-Based simulator for testing LUA code? True, partially true, or false?
Thanks!
Some of the screen shots in the pdf could indicate that.

Jan_DK

Old 01-07-2010, 03:18 PM

Thumb Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThievingSix View Post
E-Mail back and forth with Creatives developers.

....and as I was copying the message here I read the :this is only for you don't copy or we'll sue you" part.

Suffice to say we'll be getting help from Creative in the near future.
I've got a similar email to yours (I assume, though we might have entirely different good news) - very much looking forward to it...

Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks, Jan_DK. Looks like I need to shake the dust off my programming skills and look into this further.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 PM

This is really really great news
Thank god they're not like sony who tries as hard as they can to stop homebrew.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post

1 - The X-Fi2 supports a scripting language called LUA that simply runs and doesn't need compiling? True, partially true, or false?

Thanks!
1) It gets compiled when you run the lua script. Or you can pre-compile it to speed up the start time of the application.

2) For China? Yes. For others? Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00st View Post
I've got a similar email to yours (I assume, though we might have entirely different good news) - very much looking forward to it...
Was your email saying they'll tell us when the SDK will be ready for us to download?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:48 PM

I don't think they'll ever make the volume indicator bigger. It's just a question off getting used to the touch-screen. I've had many problems regarding this as well also with the back & options buttons on the right hand sides. A Stylus works great though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzmofo View Post
all this and they cant fix the lousy volume control.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:49 AM

The pdf only is now available for download at http://tinyurl.com/CreativeLUA (That's just a quick link to the translated chinese site by google). The site http://tinyurl.com/CreativeLUA2 which is the translated creativelua.com is now also up. Some threads seem to be blocked with a 403 error. Trying to find some sort of information!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 AM

it would be ironic if they didnt fix the volume considering its the number one xfi-2 complaint by a longshot.
im hoping one of the geniuses around here can fix the volume control or map out the os so we can do it ourselves.

and im pretty sure that a stylus will end up scratching your screen.

try using your pinky finger.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:50 AM

$100,000 question

when all of these wonderful apps are completed, how & where is Creative going to make them available to us?

I've seen no signs of a Creative app store on their website or in the near future....

heck, I have yet to see signs of real life out of the Creative tech support group.

Dave