android
Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Default choppy track change on anything >1.28

Hi,

I just bought a P3 after christmas :-) I quite like it. It was delivered with the 1.28 firmware installed. Since I thought improved touchscreen performance and better video/codec support promised by newer firmwares sounded tempting I gave them a try. It really felt smoother and the animations in Album Art view are elegant and actually explain the wipe gestures...
However in roughly 50% of the cases, when I wipe to the next track, the playback does not stop and come back smoothly (as it does in 1.28) but it stutters for a moment (goes off comes back with a moment of choppy playback) and only then switches to the new track.
I am usually not that picky but that is annoying the hell out of me! Is anybody experiencing the same? Any solutions.
This is all in shuffle mode with a mix of mp3 and m4a files...

thanks

Kai

ps.: I tried the one after 1.28 and the two latest firmware versions all showing the same behaviour

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM

If you could test with a batch of just mp3, and then again with a batch of just m4a and report your results. It might be having to think extra for possible format/decoder changes for each song, which in turn may cause it to hiccup.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. For testing purposes I now went back to 2.20 and tried to only playback mp3. The only way I found to do this was to create a playlist of the albums I knew were mp3s but I found playlists are limited to 200 songs...?
Anyway, for this playlist it works now. No choppy playback when switching!
However now I wonder if that is due to the mp3 format or the fact that it only looks through a much smaller number of songs now (200 of the playlist as opposed to the >1000 songs I have overall)?
I guess there might be no way of finding out except for converting all my m4a files to mp3 (which will be a bit of a nightmare).
Does anyone by chance know a (free) software to do this (preferably Linux but Windows would be fine as well)?

thanks

Kai

Old 01-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Ok, so I created another playlist only with m4a and even though it was a rather small list (about 20) it had the playback problems. So it seems related to the m4a format. Now, I am happy not to use iTunes anymore but I know many people that still do, so I think Samsung should improve m4a support if only for proper use of all its tags and album art...

thanks

Kai

ps.: any suggestions for conversion apps still welcome (yes I will use the search function as well) :-)

Old 01-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Might be album art. How big is the album art on each track? 300x300 is the recommended size.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM

I was thinking testing by dropping files into seperate folders then test by file browser to each folder.

But yeah, using the playlist option works. As for the playlist limit, 200 for the 5 internal playlists and 400 with external playlists (emodio or notepad created).

As for file conversion and free, I'd suggest "Super". It's free and does a really good job and handles just about every format under the sun. The website design is crap but the rest is good. And it is spyware/malware and adware free. It is a windows based program though. So maybe use with wine?

Old 01-23-2010, 07:18 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.
It really seems to be an mp3 versus aac thing (not the album art cause I have the same problem with aacs that don't have any).

As for the conversion tools I am now using soundconverter on Ubuntu. Not too powerful but does what I need.

-k