android
Old 01-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Default Harddrive Replacement On 60gb Zen Xtra Nomad

A couple years ago I bought a 60gb Creative Zen Xtra Nomad Jukebox on eBay. It served
me well til last week, but one day i picked it up and gave it a small static discharge/shock
It was on and playing at the time, it rebooted and went into 'Re-Building Library' mode
where it basically locked up. I never could get it to do anything there - even resetting
(and removing the battery as well) it would just go back to the same screen (where it
would sit and do nothing)...so i eventually went into Rescue Mode and re-formatted.

To make a long story short, I believe the player itself is ok, but think its harddrive was
damaged (I can load a very limited number of mp3's before it starts giving errors, (and it
will play those), also the drive makes this little spring-like clicking-type sound when
booting up, shutting down, and randomly when playing.

My main questions are -
1) Since this is a fairly old player it even worth fixing?

2) How hard is it to replace the drive in one of these? (taking apart looks easy enough
from the post i saw here on abi) But is it fairly simple like replacing one in a laptop or
desktop computer? (I've done that plenty of times) - do you just install new drive and
format? & maybe re-install firmware?? (or is there something more involved)?

3) Do i have to use the exact same model drive to make it work (easily that is)? -- i see
posts where users have installed larger drives i'm not looking to do anything complicated
here...just *try* to revive the player.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2010, 01:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmasLightGuy View Post
1) Since this is a fairly old player it even worth fixing?
Absolutely!

Quote:
2) How hard is it to replace the drive in one of these? (taking apart looks easy enough
from the post i saw here on abi) But is it fairly simple like replacing one in a laptop or
desktop computer? (I've done that plenty of times) - do you just install new drive and
format? & maybe re-install firmware?? (or is there something more involved)?
If I recall, it's two screws to pop off the backplate, then pop off the faceplate, and then four screws that hold down the hard drive. As MP3 players go, this is one of the easiest ones for hard drive replacements. And, yes, it is as easy as just popping out the old drive, sticking in the new one, putting it back together, and reloading firmware.

Quote:
3) Do i have to use the exact same model drive to make it work (easily that is)? -- i see
posts where users have installed larger drives i'm not looking to do anything complicated
here...just *try* to revive the player.
You do not need to use the same exact model. You can use any standard 2.5" PATA laptop drive - BUT: you should make sure that the drive you select does not pull more than 500mA, as pulling more current than that could damage your player's mainboard. Also, there is a limit to how much capacity the player can access. If I recall correctly, it is somewhere around 120GB. However, the limit isn't necessarily in addressable space, but rather in total number of records (files) the firmware can access.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 PM

The exact limit is: 131049MB (127GB)

A 120GB HDD will show as 114GB on unit.

You're safe until 550mAh.

As for files, depends. Somes reported 17000 songs, others 22550, a little over 30000 and so on.

Topic:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=37488

Old 01-11-2010, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the info ZenChick & Gradius...
Thats pretty much what i needed to know {plus i've been reading some more of the
other threads here today}
Ofcourse looking on eBay nobody gives the electrical ratings on drives ...sometimes
you can read it in the picture.

The original drive in mine is a Fujitusu MHT2060AT (and is rated .55a) - looks like thats
standard for 60GB zen's - I see that exact brand/model drive is available on eBay, as is
a 80GB version (MHT2080AT) which has the exact same current/power rating (don't
really need to upgrade to 80GB but if the price is right...)

Hopefully i just killed the drive and not something else in the player since its one
of the few (very few) that will work with win98

--------------------------
Also, is there any way to keep this forum from logging you out after just a few minutes
time?? that is very annoying LOL

Old 01-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Also, is there any way to keep this forum from logging you out after just a few minutes
time?? that is very annoying LOL
I agree wholeheartedly. It's a vBulletin issue that affects some vB forums and not others, which makes me think it's an obscure configuration setting somewhere that our admins haven't been able to find.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Ofcourse looking on eBay nobody gives the electrical ratings on drives ...sometimes you can read it in the picture.
You just need to know the model number, with that just enter on HD's company and check the specs from there.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmasLightGuy
Ofcourse looking on eBay nobody gives the electrical ratings on drives ...sometimes you can read it in the picture.
You just need to know the model number, with that just enter on HD's company and check the specs from there.
Thanks for the tip! ... Have a couple diff HD's on my watch list now

What'd be really cool would be one of those 64GB SSD's ... LOL ... but way too expensive

Old 03-31-2010, 02:43 AM

On my Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra, my old 60G drive apparently stopped working -- it would boot to the regular menu but then not let me scroll up or down or choose anything. I bought a 160G drive at the computer place, because that's what they had, and the guy there installed it for me. It boots into rescue mode alright and the computer recognizes it is there, I went ahead and installed firmware, and the thing still boots into rescue mode only. I tried to "format all" and "reload OS" and it said "harddisk problem". It just sits and spins, I can feel it -- just nothing happens. It will not boot to the regular player menu. The computer guru suggests that the problem is with the player itself and that I should get another one off eBay and try this drive in it. I just don't want to spend the $ on another player if this one is salvageable.