android
Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 PM

Default Creative Centrale

G'day folks,
I recently bought a ZEN X-Fi2 and I'm very happy with the device & with the quality of the audio (after using the cheap ALDI video2go MP4 player for some time).
However, I'm having some troubles with the Creative Centrale software and seek some advice please.
Is it possible to sort titles/artists/genres, etc. as you can with Windows Media Player? Secondly, how do you "force" it to transfer files to the X-Fi2? I've clicked on the Transfer tab & nothing seems to happen (other than the initial 100 or so audio files that transferred across, the first time I used it). Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 PM

I have avoided the Creative software wherever possible. I have transferred all my music by dragging and dropping with just Windows Explorer. I have also heard of other people using Windows Media Player to move files more exclusively (just playlists of favorite songs instead of whole albums)

Cheers,
Your friendly neighborhood
Dark Lord

Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Centrale software

Thanks LordXenos, sounds like a good idea. Creative Centrale looks good, but perhaps they haven't got it quite right yet. The full (expected) functionality isn't all there, or at least doesn't seem to be. It certainly isn't mentioned in the (dare I call it a) manual.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiebloke01 View Post
Is it possible to sort titles/artists/genres, etc. as you can with Windows Media Player?
Yes, but not as pretty. Click the little down arrow next to Library and you can select Album, Artist, genre, All track, Playlist, etc..

That said, it's the worst music app that came with any of my players. JMHO.

Last edited by Olley; 01-15-2010 at 09:07 PM.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Default Very helpful suggestion

Thanks Olley.
I would never have thought to click on those miniscule arrows! But you are quite right & that was most helpful, thanks.
Perhaps you could also tell me please how to force the transfer? WIN Media Player won't let me look at the files on my X-Fi2, Vista won't let me look at audio files properly (you can only get their stupid audio file viewer which doesn't show file types/extensions) and Ceative Centrale won't let me see what's on my PC and I don't know how to correctly transfer the audio files anyway.
I tried sync-ing, but that just rearranges all my audio files & seems to duplicate many of them. Instead of placing them in playlists (as per my original file structure), it places them all in the root directory on my X-Fi2.
The X-Fi2 itself is great & no problems with that; but I'm almost ready to give up & just listen to those audio files that I have (somehow) managed to transfer.
Most grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll look into centrale some more when I get home tonight. I have to confess that I use Windows Media Player (11) with my X-Fi2. and haven't had any problems. It even lets me see what's on the device once it's chosen as the device to sync to. To sync stuiff to it you just drag you chosen files over to the sync panel (on the right), and when you have everything you want there you tell it to begin Sync.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 AM

Personally, I never got the idea of synchonizing. To me that word means: making everything the same, i.e. same files on both pc and player. So I never tried it.. I know you can make sync-lists, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

I like to keep it simple and open the player on my computer with windows explorer, it allows me to see what's on the device, what's on my computer, and copy by drag&drop. It even allows some tag editing. And when you place everything in folders the windows explorer is very convenient to keep track of what's on it and what's not.

For advanced tag editing Mp3Tag is a nice program.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 PM

Anyone figure out to get movies onto teh xfi 2 faster yet?? Through creative centrale it takes over 2 hours and sumtimes don't even work. As opposed to teh old vision m that only took like 2 minutes.... i know you can drag and drop through explorer nut then when you play it on teh av out .. it skips and freezes and goes outta sync!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 PM

@moosejoose: Try a lower average bitrate for your movies. The X-Fi2 seems limited in power. The sweet spot that I have found is 700-800 kbps. Also, I hear that playing video from a microSD card is smoother.

Cheers,
Your friendly neighborhood
Dark Lord

Last edited by LordXenos; 01-15-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added some advice

Old 01-15-2010, 07:45 PM

try playing videos from the microsd card instead of the regular memory

Old 01-16-2010, 07:19 PM

Lol thanks for teh suggestions...i had figured out that converting them down would make em work better .. but my complaint is why did teh vision m take movies on without converting and had no issues playing them .. and as for teh microcard.. good idea but i bought the 32 gig machine so i didnt need teh microcard... hopefully creative comes up with a solution soon.. Thanks alot guys .. great site!!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 AM

Hi Guys. After lots more experimentation (and your helpful assistance), I have figured out some more things, which might help some other folk (on other forum threads):
1. To see what's on my X-Fi2, Windows Media Player MUST be in the SYNC mode (by clicking on that tab) not in the LIBRARY mode. I've changed many of the options so that it now only syncs when I tell it to do so - although that's still a bit "hit & miss" - but it seems to be working quite well now.
2. In Creative Centrale, the best way I've found to add a song to a playlist, is to right-click on an album/song/artist/all tracks etc. and click "Add to Playlist" then select the desired playlist (once you've created it, of course) from the dropdown menu. You can even add a whole album/artist/genre, etc. to the desired playlist.
3. Sorting can best be done in List View (icon at top right, 3rd line down), then click once or twice on the heading tab (ie. duration, artist).