android
Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 PM

Default Firmware Issue / Not Recognized by Computer

I bought this mp3 player secondhand. I was so pleased with my vision:m of 3 years that I purchased another said to "work perfectly". Pfft.

It came to me flashing "firmware error" and constant reboots. I loaded recovery mode, cleared the hdd, and trashed the firmware, knowing that I had the file on my computer.

The player now only loads in recovery mode. No matter what firmware I try to load on it, (older versions and the 'new' one) I cannot get any os to recognize it. XP 32 bit, win7 32bit, etc. On windows 7, it does not recognize the player. I go into device manager and see the yellow ! (there's something wrong sign) I try to get it to find the correct drivers but it doesn't work. I even try to load your software onto any os, but it won't work without the player being recognized.

I'm in a pickle. I've tried dozens of things as I've looked up the problem. It seems to be somewhat prevalent without one unifying solution.

I would appreciate any advice that could be given to me.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There are two possibilities that come to mind: Either you are loading the wrong firmware, or your player's hard drive is bad.

Even though they have the same name, the 30GB ZVM and the 60GB ZVM are different enough that they require their own unique firmware. You cannot load firmware meant for the 60GB ZVM onto a 30GB ZVM, and you cannot load 30GB ZVM firmware onto a 60GB ZVM. Since it is possible to place a larger-capacity drive into either model, it is important to go by what it says on the back of the player rather than by how the hard drive reports itself.

If, despite loading the correct firmware onto the device, it is still rejecting the firmware and reporting errors, then the problem is quite likely a failed hard drive.