Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilmaviel View Post
hmm, the url is the same but it should work now
now it works, great update, thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 AM
X-Fi2 App Master

Absolutely amazing update, I now have nothing to suggest!! Brilliant.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:03 PM

Awesome new version! It lags significantly less. A few things I think could be done to improve it further:
- A square showing the size of the eraser, now you can't really see where you're erasing since it's the same as the background.
- A border for the color choosing similar to the other tools, when you switch to white bg it looks odd with the black still there for those buttons.
- An eraser icon matching the color choosing icons, or the other way around. Keep the style the same.

I don't think those changes would be all too hard to make.

Edit: And a bug I've found. Sometimes when you clear it draws a line to the left side before clearing.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM

thanks for the suggestions. the eraser will be the size of the brush you are using. as for the interface and an eraser outline, i plan to make a drop down menu for choosing a specific color and one for more tools, but to get the picture back after its covered up it needs to be saved. so it might be a while till a good saving system is worked out.

as for the bug, it happens if you draw too fast too (sometimes). i dont know what causes it, it might go away if the touch.up code is left out but i have not tested this much.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:41 PM

I made some modification to the Paint app so I use different buttons and have a gray area around the color chooser now too. But with my new buttons I noticed there's some clipping error on the last button when I used the same sized buttons as in the original. I guess it just got more visible with my version of buttons. I moved the buttons up 1 pixel and 1 pixel to the left, so it's now x=0 and y=0+40n. There's still a one pixel difference between the top and bottom, but that's unavoidable I think with this number of buttons.

Want me to E-mail you my version so you can try it?

EDIT: Tried to get the color marker to also go 1 pixel left and up, but can't find the code for it. I've never programmed in LUA so I'm learning as I go along xD
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Last edited by Habhome; 01-29-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Want me to E-mail you my version so you can try it?
you can post it here if you like, a few different version for people to choose from...

as for the clipping, i had the same problems with the white background so i drew a black box behind the buttons to hide it, the code for the box should be at line 56.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
you can post it here if you like, a few different version for people to choose from...

as for the clipping, i had the same problems with the white background so i drew a black box behind the buttons to hide it, the code for the box should be at line 56.
Ok, I'll check that line out. And as for posting it here, I'll see if I can find a hosting service, I might be a member of "Megaupload" I think.

EDIT: Okay, now I got into this and am creating an entirely new skin for the app, with a minor new function, that the white color choosing button changes to black when you have white background. Still experimenting with this code so I have a few bugs to exterminate before it's usable.

Last edited by Habhome; 01-29-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:15 AM

Here is the app with some modifications I have made which I personally think improved the app. I included a .txt disclaimer and credited you cilmaviel of course ^^

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QVCEH7K6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint V 1.4 - Habhome
The main code for this app was made by cilmaviel @ http://www.anythingbutipod.com/

My contributions to this app is the following:

Layout:
1. New buttons
2. New app Icon

Behavior:
1. When you select the eraser it remembers your previous color
for when you deselect the eraser. Also the color marker does
not automatically jump to the white/black color.
2. When you switch to white background it now changes the white
color button to black.

Enjoy!

~ Habhome
It'd be nice with some opinions from others ^^

Edit: Whops, noticed a bug myself. When you have black/white chosen and switch bg color it doesn't automatically switch the color itself. Worked before, must have changed something. I'll check into it.

Edit2: There, fixed the app and updated the dl link.

Last edited by Habhome; 01-30-2010 at 06:52 AM.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:02 PM

great job on the interface, i decided to update to 1.5 with your changes and i couple of my own.

new version is here...
http://www.mediafire.com/?f3mwyawtdig

i also updated the first post with the new link and changes

oh, and so far the line bug while drawing is gone, it might show up while clearing the screen though

Old 01-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
great job on the interface, i decided to update to 1.5 with your changes and i couple of my own.

new version is here...
http://www.mediafire.com/?f3mwyawtdig

i also updated the first post with the new link and changes

oh, and so far the line bug while drawing is gone, it might show up while clearing the screen though
Glad you like it. It was fun modding it =P I'm just a young wannabe-programmer with some PS skills xD

One thing I noticed with the addition of the eraser being shown while erasing. First, if you have the 3x3 it is still a 2x2 eraser. And second, it is really laggy when you try to do precision erasing. It is standing still only to jump straight to where you are after a while.

I'm not familiar with this part of the code so I'm not sure how to fix it myself.

On another note, you can remove those five program lines in clickbtn(x,y) marked with --, they don't contribute to the function of the program since they're just comments. I made them such to keep the code while still seeing how the app'd react without them, but I forgot to remove them when I was done.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:14 PM

the eraser shown is 1 pixel smaller around it, i did this to avoid any marks it may leave on the screen but i didn't test it as the same size. as for the sensitivity of the eraser, touch.move only seems to register a move event after the point has moved about 3-5 mm. if anyone knows of a way to get it to register this it would be great but until then it may just have to be the way it is. if you use some kind of stylus it helps a lot.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
the eraser shown is 1 pixel smaller around it, i did this to avoid any marks it may leave on the screen but i didn't test it as the same size.
Aha, I see. Well, if you draw the color out correctly you should be able to have it the same size since it'd always add the color in its previous position.

Quote:
as for the sensitivity of the eraser, touch.move only seems to register a move event after the point has moved about 3-5 mm. if anyone knows of a way to get it to register this it would be great but until then it may just have to be the way it is.
Should be possible. Compare with the image sliding when looking at pictures, it's smooth. Or the volume control, needs precision too. So it is possible.

I'm a newb programmer, especially with LUA, so I'm not sure how you could fix it unless there was a sensitivity variable you could set. Or force it to register a touch.up and then interpret the place you moved to as a touch.down, I dunno, but if that was how they did it then the touch.move would be useless. So there should be a way.

Quote:
if you use some kind of stylus it helps a lot.
I did.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:16 AM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

Quote:
touch.move only seems to register a move event after the point has moved about 3-5 mm
does touch.down() not work?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:37 AM

touch.down() does work, but after you start a move event it takes the 3-5 mm to register the new coordinates. try to very slowly move the volume control or the touch demo with a stylus and you will see what i mean. another thing habhome might be referring about it being laggy is that right now version 1.5 only uses every third message in the cue regarding touch.move(), if you remember the early versions... they used every message. i found that this can make it more real time as far as input but if you draw too fast it looks jagged and there is less precision, the program basicly works like connect the dots and the newer versions have fewer dots (unless you slow down). hope that makes more sense.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 AM

Default better way of using touch.move

i figured i would post this here since i used it to update this app, i also added a line "tool" just hold till the H appears i the bottom right then again somewhere else.

link to paint V1.6...
http://www.mediafire.com/?nvjhxzgjtty

aside from the new paint version.i was testing some ideas and i found a much better way to handle control.read and especially how to handle control.move. the fist part is if you put control.read in a while loop rather than an if statement it seem to work a little better as far as performance. that alone is not a huge gain but if also add a for loop that counts to about 1000, and only has control.read in it but does not use it for anything then the result is pretty much real time.

here is a link to a simple version of paint, so it is easier to see what i'm talking about.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mctymd0myve
i'm going to guess and say the the type lag experienced in the versions of paint is due to the read cue being overloaded with .move() messages. so adding the for loop keeps the cue clear and that it always uses the most recent messages (and realtime) messages. this may help a lot if anyone is making a top down scrolling shooter.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:43 AM
X-Fi2 App Master

Wow, V1.6 has literally no lag! That's AMAZING! I lovin the line tool aswell, well done chaps!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 AM

I got a new idea for something I can mod this with. We'll see if I can get it to work or not. Just another interface update.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:12 PM

Hey, great you fixed the lag! That's some important info for future games...

Just a little bug in V1.6:
The eraser doesn't do what it is supposed to do then you tap the screen.
When you tab with the erasor on a black background it leaves white squares (the "eraser pointer" stays on screen) and it leaves black squares on a white background.

And personally I prefer the color buttons from earlier versions .. but maybe that's just me.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:24 PM

very nice update

i'm waiting for other applications :O

Old 02-03-2010, 02:52 PM
X-Fi2 App Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_val View Post
And personally I prefer the color buttons from earlier versions .. but maybe that's just me.
Yep, it's just you