android
Old 01-25-2010, 09:17 AM

Default Awful digital hiss at max volume

Hi,

Had my p3 for two months, noticed an underlying hiss. Have now isolated it to the player itself--even present when no music is playing. Only noticeable when volume turned up to 20, by max volume it is very apparent and really spoils the music for me. It's still only audible when the music goes quiet, or when none is playing, but I bought the p3 for sound quality and am sorely disappointed. Is this a problem with the player that others have noticed, or is it just mine, and I should try sending it off to Samsung?

Thanks for your help

Seth

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 PM

I'm not trying to be an arse, but why...would ANYONE who isn't going deaf have their P3 turned up to 20 with headphones in their ears!?

I turn it up to 7-8 and I'm more than happy, and I'm only 16

Anywho, enough of my judging...I find that the P3 isn't the only player that has this "hissing" problem. From my experience, most speakers or electronic devices that are capable of music playback (including DVD players, surround sounds, computers) all produce a hissing sound at high volume, but once the music comes in, it shouldn't be a problem.

I have no idea what the hissing sound is from though, and it's late, and I'm too lazy to do a search

Hope that helps

ps. try changing headphones, or hook them up to speakers and see if the problem persists, because the hissing SHOULD NOT still be audible when the music is playing

Cheers

Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 AM

I listen to mine generally at 20.....(sorry for being off topic)

Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM

I listen to mine at 16 sometimes, just because of the headphones I use...

Old 01-28-2010, 12:45 AM

i use $20 sony earbuds but it depends if im inside or outside. Usually it's around 15. it's been at 20 before but that's really not good for the ears.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 PM

What headphones are you using? That might contribute to it, I experience no "hiss".

Also, the quality of the songs you have put on there will also contribute to a hiss. Less than 192KB/s MP3s will probably have a hiss in the background due to compressing.

Also, you'd be foolish to have it that loud. It saps the battery and your sense of hearing.

20 is as far as I go.

Try different (more expensive) headphones and see if it is still there.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Using IEMs I rarely go past 8

Mostly because I have a completely custom DNSe EQ, 3D at 3 and Bass at 2, with clarity maxed out and street mode on 2, and the music enhancer thingy on

So yea, it'd probably equal about 12 or something if I was on Normal or Rock or Studio etc.

With my RP HTX7s, their sensitivity is only 99dB, not very efficient, so I need to turn the volume up to 13 or 14 even on DNSe

Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Default Hiss hiss

Hiya,

horses for courses; I spent £65 on klipsch earphones so they should be decent quality, but what can I say, I'm obviously going deaf. Plus I listen to music while running on a treadmill, so there's a lot of background noise. And i just like it very loud.

That said, the hiss was worse with my old earphones, which weren't up to much. And it's worse when the dnse is on certain settings, so that's a way of controlling it.

thanks for your responses,
Seth

Old 02-12-2010, 08:59 AM

hha i usually have mine at 8-10 somewhere in there, and the headphones i use make it really loud, so thats probaly why, adn i have the bass turned all the way up lol

Old 02-13-2010, 03:35 AM

holy shit, if i put mine past 10 i feel like my head may explode...are you guys using iems at 20?

Old 02-13-2010, 06:06 AM

The max I put mine is on 15, if I'm at a very noisy place, then MAYBE 20. I understand what you mean by hissing, but that's only when I make my DNSE settings really crisp, and when I'm playing certain songs that will 'hiss'. But in general, I hardly ever experience any hissing, and when I do, it's only small, I don't mind.

I find that the best earphones are the default ones in the box, I think they're designed to match the DNSE for the best quality of audio possible, so if you use those, there shouldn't be hissing. Sadly, mine broke.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBottles View Post
Less than 192KB/s MP3s will probably have a hiss in the background due to compressing.
Perhaps less than 192 kbps and still no compression artefacts: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....uiet_listening.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 PM

Holy crap... I generally listen to mine at 20-30.
This thread just sorta changed to what volume you generally listen to. Lol

Old 02-13-2010, 11:11 PM

I also hear a static sound at the upper numbers. I don't know what it is.

Off Topic: I listen at 3-7 bars/points of volume.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:20 AM

Likewise with only IEM's I have yet to surpass 12 bars. There's no way I could up the volume enough to check for any hiss. There isn't any if I use the external speaker anyway.
Buying new phones like you have done is probably the best idea - let us know if they sort the problem.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Banned

8-11 is what I set the volume to.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumluff View Post
Likewise with only IEM's I have yet to surpass 12 bars. There's no way I could up the volume enough to check for any hiss. There isn't any if I use the external speaker anyway.
Buying new phones like you have done is probably the best idea - let us know if they sort the problem.
If you're able to hear the hiss, you don't need music to be on. Just pause your music, and crank up the volume to thirty, and you will hear it.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:21 PM

Ah, well I've just done that and yes there is a hiss once you go above 26. So get some earphones where you don't have to raise the volume so high and then you've got no issue. Max volume? Sheeesh :P

Old 02-14-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumluff View Post
Ah, well I've just done that and yes there is a hiss once you go above 26. So get some earphones where you don't have to raise the volume so high and then you've got no issue. Max volume? Sheeesh :P

You talking to me or the original poster? (Thread starter, whatever)

._.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:04 PM

Whoops, it's late and I've been drinking, didn't realise you weren't the original poster. I was responding to you regarding the hiss test. Following comment is for thread starter, whatever XD

Tags
hiss, p3, problem