android
Old 01-29-2010, 07:14 PM

Default 2nd Broken P3 in a month

I'm furious. I plug it in to update music, or re-sync songs aftering update their ID3 tags. It goes okay. I disconnect. It says it's updating the library. Then - Nothing. No reset, doesn't charge. Just a black screen, and reset button that obviously does nothing, even when I hear the click.

The first one I sent back to play.com who replaced it, eventually. But after this, I'm sick of it breaking.

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this? If not:

What else is there in the market? Cowon S9 - a bit too expensive, and it uses mainly MTP (I'm on linux - dodgy compatibility there). Ipod Touch - wouldnt touch it with a barge pole tbh. Samsung P3 - ehm, no thanks.

Ideas?
Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-29-2010, 07:25 PM

I'm tempted to think one of your files is screwing around with your P3. =/

Old 01-29-2010, 07:31 PM

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised - but I don't know what. And it's not like I use my laptop for anything dangerous - Samsung's player should be able to cope with something so simple as this.

It's just so frustrating.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:32 PM

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised - but I don't know what. And it's not like I use my laptop for anything dangerous - Samsung's player should be able to cope with something so simple as this.

It's just so frustrating.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:08 PM

It's really odd, I'll give you that.

Are you sure you're not taking it out whilst it is still transferring? How are you sure the Reset does nothing? Are you sure when you pressed it the button audibly clicked?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:15 AM

I'm as sure as can be. Unless it's my USB ports on this laptop - it is a really old laptop .

But yes, I can hear it audibly click. I feel as though it is doing something - on a windows machine, when the P3 is plugged in and I click the reset, windows acts as though I have unplugged and then replugged it in. So the reset is doing something - just not what I want it to do.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:00 AM

Corrrupt tags more likely than broken P3s. Check your files.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:27 PM

yeah there can be a lot of unsupported and wild ID3 tags on your files. Certain apps use custom tagging and add fields that aren't standard and cause many players and cell phones headaches.

dBPowerAmp Reference give you a windows shell, tag editor that lets you check multiple files at once, letting you delete rogue tags off of thousands of files in one shot. Major time saver.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:45 AM

Surely, bad ID3 tags on my MP3s would only mess up my library in terms of those files alone, and not cause the device to not turn on, making it fully unoperational? If this is actually the case, surely this is a HUGE software design flaw.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Banned

I think you're right there; try it on a different PC/laptop, if it doesn't respond send it back.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 AM

I did. On a Windows Vista Premium machine, most reliable in the house.
Still absolutely nothing. In the process of sending it back for a refund.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned

That's sad. It seems that early buyers of the P3, electron, Tomcat, Crimson Raven, me and others have had no issues, but later P3s......

Old 02-01-2010, 09:01 AM

I did. On a Windows Vista Premium machine, most reliable in the house.
Still absolutely nothing. In the process of sending it back for a refund.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 AM

hmm, I'm really sorry to hear that man

Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchard92 View Post
Surely, bad ID3 tags on my MP3s would only mess up my library in terms of those files alone, and not cause the device to not turn on, making it fully unoperational? If this is actually the case, surely this is a HUGE software design flaw.

Surely, it could and has happened with some devices. The device detects corrupted db info, tries to restart and scan the library, fails and repeats. A corrupt library db can potential render some players inoperable. Who's to say what your problem is but it's seems rather curious that it happened after you altered some tags. A software flaw, absolutely....it does not fail in a safe manner. Possible....not only possible but I've had bad tags force prior Samsung players to go unstable. Pick your poison but if it were me, I'd retrace the steps I made right before it went dark.

Two defective players in a row is unusual. One errant owner taking down two players in a row has a higher probability. Whatever the problem is, good luck.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
That's sad. It seems that early buyers of the P3, electron, Tomcat, Crimson Raven, me and others have had no issues, but later P3s......
i only got my p3 on december 23rd, i've had no problems what so ever

Old 02-04-2010, 06:03 PM

mine works good as new....... mine lagged cause some files where screwing with it ... deleted the files and it works good now
btw:had it since august

Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 PM

I got my P3 in October, I can't say my experience has been problem free... But I still love my P3 to bits.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:28 AM

It's sad, he gave up on his player when it's really not the players fault. From what I can tell, he didn't try wiping all the files he put on it off to see if it would boot.

I would have made a wager it would have, then it would have just been a matter of finding the rogue file(s).

C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Actually Dreamine, I have had some issues with mine. I just haven't posted about them being I just worked it out slowly but surely. I've had the random reboots from bad tags. I've had UCI glitches from assigning a skin. I've also had playlsits that wouldn't update. Every problem, I've kept tinkering until I figured out what my problem was. I'm sort of used to it being the java based music player on my phone is even more fickle and I had to get that stable prior to ever owning a P3.

So I don't think it has to do with new or old. It has to do more with where the files come from. Most download and you never know what garbage is on them. Most of us at ABI though go to great lengths to manage our files so we're a little more adept at these issues and don't run into them as often, nor do we let them beat us into giving up in such a short time frame.

Last edited by TomCat39; 02-07-2010 at 02:35 AM. Reason: typo correction

Old 02-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Banned

I think my files and tags are fine - I just seem to have run into very few problems with the P3.

Of course, I'm happy with 2.07 which must be a year old now - the slower UI doesn't bother me, and I don't switch out my music too often.

My P3 sits on a chair and I either stream to my BT speakers or plug in my iems. I guess I've been pretty lucky with it.