android
  #21  
Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
@ Marvin:

Man, I am VERY SAD to hear about your S540 troubles...Really hope you can get this sorted out...

Good luck buddy,
-lestatar
Thanks, lestatar. I just tried it again, plugged it into the computer first, then the wall charger after, and no response. So I guess sometime in the next couple weeks, after another paycheck or two, I'll have to think about sending it in like Matt described before.

If that all goes well, and I have a working S545 again, I'll be leaving it in MTP this time.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #22  
Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 AM
Dreamnine Dreamnine is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scotland, EU
Posts: 3,225
Default

Don't tell Sony what you tried to do lol...
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old 02-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Don't tell Sony what you tried to do lol...
Good point! It's too bad, because the only reason I tried it was the potential for faster loading times. Other than that, the whole MTP-MSC thing didn't matter at all.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 AM
Dreamnine Dreamnine is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scotland, EU
Posts: 3,225
Default

I remember when I got the X it seemed to take forever to put stuff on - Sonys are definitely slower, but it was around 25GBs worth and I was impatient.
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old 02-04-2010, 03:17 AM
CDMP3PlayerFan CDMP3PlayerFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMc3 View Post
I'll add that I'm transferring my music via Windows Explorer drag-and-drop. For the people who have year tags working with MTP, are you using syncing software or drag-and-drop?

Matt
I've left my player in the default MTP mode. I've used the following programs to transfer my music to my player and the year shows up with each of them: MediaMonkey, Windows Media Player, and Content Transfer. The year shows up whether I sync my player or I send my music to my player though the software. It's when I transfer the music to my player via Windows Explorer that the year doesn't show up.
__________________
In Use
Player: iPod Classic (160gb), Sony NWZ-E465 (16gb Flash Player)
Music Management Software:
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old 02-04-2010, 09:21 AM
MattMc3 MattMc3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington, USA
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
It's when I transfer the music to my player via Windows Explorer that the year doesn't show up.
That's what it looks like. So drag-and-drop via Windows Explorer loses the Year tag, and syncing or transferring via other software keeps it. I though it was an MTP issue but I guess not. Thanks for your input.

Matt
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 PM
lestatar's Avatar
lestatar lestatar is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hong Kong now, but NYC always
Posts: 4,657
Default

@ Marvin:

Listen, just a thought...I know you have tried everything to bring back your S545. But...

How about running/leaving it on somehow, try to drain completely the battery? Then after it is well and truly "dead", try the hard reset again.

Can't hurt right?


@ rest of the thread re: YEAR tags...

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, from Day1 of my E345, using Winamp to sync/copy music onto the device, all my tags display 100% correctly.

The only time I use Win Drag/Drop is to copy over videos to the E345.

Since the E and the S are sister/cousin devices, I can only assume what works for 1 will work for the other...

for what it's worth at this point...

cheers,
-lestatar
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old 02-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
@ Marvin:

Listen, just a thought...I know you have tried everything to bring back your S545. But...

How about running/leaving it on somehow, try to drain completely the battery? Then after it is well and truly "dead", try the hard reset again.

Can't hurt right?


cheers,
-lestatar
I would do that, if i could only get it to turn on at all. But it just seems to be lifeless.

Edit: I just plugged it into the wall charger after I posted, walked away for a few minutes, not expecting anything, and I just looked over and it was coming to life!
The battery had drained completely, apparently. After a few minutes, I pulled the cord from the wall charger, and plugged it back into the computer, and voila!! The proper drivers reinstalled, nice as can be, and all appears to be as it was before. Now I just have to fill it up with tunes again.....good thing I'm not busy the next couple hours
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 02-05-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Dreamnine Dreamnine is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scotland, EU
Posts: 3,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I would do that, if i could only get it to turn on at all. But it just seems to be lifeless.

Edit: I just plugged it into the wall charger after I posted, walked away for a few minutes, not expecting anything, and I just looked over and it was coming to life!
The battery had drained completely, apparently. After a few minutes, I pulled the cord from the wall charger, and plugged it back into the computer, and voila!! The proper drivers reinstalled, nice as can be, and all appears to be as it was before. Now I just have to fill it up with tunes again.....good thing I'm not busy the next couple hours
Back from the dead!
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old 02-05-2010, 03:04 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Back from the dead!
No more tricks.....this time I'm leaving it as an MTP device. It never failed when it was set up that way before.

Just threw a couple thousand songs on it, and was pleased to discover that even after two formats, pressing the reset button a couple times, and everything else the last couple of days, all my settings and saved EQ's are still there.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #31  
Old 02-05-2010, 03:32 AM
Dreamnine Dreamnine is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Scotland, EU
Posts: 3,225
Default

I don't have any wall chargers but I'm paranoid about letting any of my players run down so much that they can't start (although I know this wasn't the case with your S545).
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
MattMc3 MattMc3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington, USA
Posts: 161
Default

@Marvin: Good news! I hear that MSC mode might transfer those files a little faster. Might want to give that a shot next time

I forgot to post this earlier, but I used to have an older Creative player I would frequently run until the the unit powered off. The battery would be drained and the DAP appeared to be totally "dead" - it wouldn't turn on, charge, or be recognized by the PC. A couple of times I got it working again by leaving it connected to the the PC and then rebooting the PC while the DAP was still connected. For whatever reason that woke the DAP up. It wouldn't always work, but somtimes it did. Just one more thing to try if it happens again.

Matt
Reply With Quote

  #33  
Old 02-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMc3 View Post
@Marvin: Good news! I hear that MSC mode might transfer those files a little faster. Might want to give that a shot next time

I forgot to post this earlier, but I used to have an older Creative player I would frequently run until the the unit powered off. The battery would be drained and the DAP appeared to be totally "dead" - it wouldn't turn on, charge, or be recognized by the PC. A couple of times I got it working again by leaving it connected to the the PC and then rebooting the PC while the DAP was still connected. For whatever reason that woke the DAP up. It wouldn't always work, but somtimes it did. Just one more thing to try if it happens again.

Matt
I actually did try that. And even the night before I had tried the AC charger bit, to no avail. So I really have no answer as to why it works now, especially given that during the whole MSC experiment, it was connected and fully charged.

For whatever reason, it works now, and that's all that matters.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #34  
Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 AM
lestatar's Avatar
lestatar lestatar is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hong Kong now, but NYC always
Posts: 4,657
Default

@ Marvin:

AWESOME NEWS!

Good for you man! But...

I am kinda sneaky and yes, occasionally guilty of being morally suspect so...

...were I you, having gone through this little hiccup, I "might" be inclined to buy a brand new S545 from someplace with an ironclad [and loosely inspected] refund policy and "mistakenly" return your old unit for a refund, whilst keeping the "new" device...

Of course, I am not "advising" you to do this...But as my lawyer is fond of saying:

"I am merely pointing out that this MIGHT BE possible, should YOU decide to pursue such a course of action..."

Try not to think too badly of me...my heart is in the right place!



cheers and congrats again Dr. Frankenstein...[IT'S ALIVE!!!],
-lestatar

Last edited by lestatar; 02-06-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #35  
Old 02-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
@ Marvin:

AWESOME NEWS!

Good for you man! But...

I am kinda sneaky and yes, occasionally guilty of being morally suspect so...

...were I you, having gone through this little hiccup, I "might" be inclined to buy a brand new S545 from someplace with an ironclad [and loosely inspected] refund policy and "mistakenly" return your old unit for a refund, whilst keeping the "new" device...

Of course, I am not "advising" you to do this...But as my lawyer is fond of saying:

"I am merely pointing out that this MIGHT BE possible, should YOU decide to pursue such a course of action..."

Try not to think too badly of me...my heart is in the right place!



cheers and congrats again Dr. Frankenstein...[IT'S ALIVE!!!],
-lestatar
Nope, I don't think badly of you at all. It is actually a good idea, but the hassle and expense of getting to the same store twice, make it not so practical.
I appreciate the suggestion though....and I still may at some point buy an E345 too, as a stablemate for my S545, Q2, and the Clip+ that is on its way. Who knows, an E345 could replace the Q2, perhaps....
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #36  
Old 02-14-2010, 07:57 PM
MattMc3 MattMc3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington, USA
Posts: 161
Default

Earlier in this thread we talked about the slow transfer speeds of loading music onto our Walkmans. Today I edited a bunch of my MP3's and decided to reload everything. Transferring 11GB onto my S545 took 80 minutes. Then I transferred the same 11GB onto my Imation 16GB thumb drive (for my car stereo) and it took 22 minutes. What a shame.

Matt
Reply With Quote

  #37  
Old 02-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMc3 View Post
Earlier in this thread we talked about the slow transfer speeds of loading music onto our Walkmans. Today I edited a bunch of my MP3's and decided to reload everything. Transferring 11GB onto my S545 took 80 minutes. Then I transferred the same 11GB onto my Imation 16GB thumb drive (for my car stereo) and it took 22 minutes. What a shame.

Matt
It is a bummer.....outside of my ill-fated attempt to use MSC with it, the slow transfer is really my only complaint with mine. Although if I'd known the E345 would be so similar, minus the speakers, I might have gone that route....but I had no way of knowing it at the time , and after hearing all the horror stories about the previous E-series, I didn't dare. No regrets though....I'm happy with it, as long as I don't have to reload it from empty very often.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #38  
Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 AM
jsk68 jsk68 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15
Default

if thats the only issue we have I think were doing good lol, I'd rather have slow transfers than crappy sound quality, I actually watch more video's on mine than listen to music (loaded up a bunch of top gear reruns) the video quality is outstanding.
__________________
NWZ-S545, Sennheiser HD-555, Fiio E3, Foobar2000, ASUS Xonar D2.
Reply With Quote

  #39  
Old 02-15-2010, 03:34 AM
CDMP3PlayerFan CDMP3PlayerFan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It is a bummer.....outside of my ill-fated attempt to use MSC with it, the slow transfer is really my only complaint with mine. Although if I'd known the E345 would be so similar, minus the speakers, I might have gone that route....but I had no way of knowing it at the time , and after hearing all the horror stories about the previous E-series, I didn't dare. No regrets though....I'm happy with it, as long as I don't have to reload it from empty very often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk68 View Post
if thats the only issue we have I think were doing good lol, I'd rather have slow transfers than crappy sound quality, I actually watch more video's on mine than listen to music (loaded up a bunch of top gear reruns) the video quality is outstanding.
The whole transfer speed hasn't been much of an issue for me since I rarely delete everything on my Walkman. I estimate that over 90 percent of my Walkman's contents remain on it at all times. Plus I rarely put videos or pictures (excluding album art) on my player.

My Walkman DAP does have its quirks. However, once I learned how to deal with them my player became a simple and reliable player with great sound quality. It may not have all of the features of the other players, but what it has works great.
__________________
In Use
Player: iPod Classic (160gb), Sony NWZ-E465 (16gb Flash Player)
Music Management Software:
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro
Reply With Quote

  #40  
Old 02-15-2010, 03:40 AM
jsk68 jsk68 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
The whole transfer speed hasn't been much of an issue for me since I rarely delete everything on my Walkman. I estimate that over 90 percent of my Walkman's contents remain on it at all times. Plus I rarely put videos or pictures (excluding album art) on my player.

My Walkman DAP does have its quirks. However, once I learned how to deal with them my player became a simple and reliable player with great sound quality. It may not have all of the features of the other players, but what it has works great.

I totally agree, I'd buy another if something happened mine.
__________________
NWZ-S545, Sennheiser HD-555, Fiio E3, Foobar2000, ASUS Xonar D2.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
s545

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 PM.