android
Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Reserved Space-How to get rid of it?

Hi all,

For some reason my ZHD has 1GB of reserved space on it. It has come to 1GB because of the numerous times I reinstalled the firmware and told the software to "Forget" the player because of technical issues. This reserved space is really annoying me especially since it's taking up 1GB of my player's space. Is there any way to get rid of it all? I know what the purpose of the reserved space is and I have no use for this feature.

Thanks,

-McDougal

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 PM

I was wondering the same thing until I tried to keep putting music on to see what would happen and it resized the reserved space accordingly. Try that, and see if it just un-reserves it, as unlikely as that sounds.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned

1GB is reserved for your "Friends".

Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 PM

just go to settings and you will see it then move it to 0

Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks everybody for the replies. Master Chief, I have no "Friends", so the reserved space is not important to me. ZUNE-HD, I went to settings and moved it down to 0 and it lowered it from 1GB to 200mb or so. It's low enough that I don't really care anymore, so thanks all for the quick help! And ajmcginty, I don't have enough music yet to completely fill up my Zune, but thanks for trying to help!

-McDougal

Retired Devices:

Old 02-01-2010, 08:43 PM

wow i dont see it anymore

Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 PM

oh ok. i guess since i have friends i cant see it anymore

Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 AM

So is there no way to get rid of Reserved Space completely?

Old 04-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok guys, I know this thread is old but I didn't want to start a new thread. Anyway, I am having two problems with my ZHD that are really frustrating me. The first problem is this reserved space thing again. I've tried everything to get rid of it, I've tried reinstalling the firmware, erasing all content and forgetting player, I've tried reinstalling the Zune software. I've even done an hour or so of Googling to try to resolve this problem myself with no luck. Right now I have about 800MB of reserved space with the setting on the Zune software set to "0%". As I said before, I have no need for this feature, and I know what the space is there for. All I want to know is how to get rid of it completely and possibly prevent it from appearing again. Now on to the second problem. The second problem is the artist info. My favorite band, Muse, is not getting it's artist info synced. Every artist I have has it's info. I've tried adjusting the metadata setting in the Zune software, and I've tried leaving it connected overnight with no luck. I've also done an hour of Googling on this issue. Currently there is no bio, pictures, etc. on my device. This is very frustrating to me because before I had all this info, and this is my favorite band too. Sorry for the long post, but I'm just having so many problems now.

Thanks!

-McDougal

Retired Devices:

Old 04-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
All I want to know is how to get rid of it completely and possibly prevent it from appearing again.
Sorry, it's not possible to completely remove this feature.

Quote:
Now on to the second problem. The second problem is the artist info. My favorite band, Muse, is not getting it's artist info synced. Every artist I have has it's info. I've tried adjusting the metadata setting in the Zune software, and I've tried leaving it connected overnight with no luck. I've also done an hour of Googling on this issue. Currently there is no bio, pictures, etc. on my device. This is very frustrating to me because before I had all this info, and this is my favorite band too.

-McDougal
Great taste, I love Muse too.

Not exactly sure how to fix this issue except for deleting them completely from the device and resyncing. Or using ZuneConsole.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Sorry, it's not possible to completely remove this feature.

Great taste, I love Muse too.

Not exactly sure how to fix this issue except for deleting them completely from the device and resyncing. Or using ZuneConsole.
Ah well... I guess I can live with it for now, even though it's kind of disappointing that you can't get rid of it. Anyways, thanks for the compliment! I've also tried deleting them completely and resyncing them with no luck. What do you mean by "ZuneConsole"? Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Retired Devices:

Old 04-17-2010, 02:25 PM

The reserved stores files (temp) from installing apps and the firmware. Once rebooted any temp files are removed leaving only whats needed by the firmware until you install something else.
I've set mine to 0% but it still stays around 150-220mb of space and it is impossible to get it completely gone.

Set it to 0% to gain as much space as possible and reboot the device from time to time.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Ah well... I guess I can live with it for now, even though it's kind of disappointing that you can't get rid of it. Anyways, thanks for the compliment! I've also tried deleting them completely and resyncing them with no luck. What do you mean by "ZuneConsole"? Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks for the help!
YW. Google it! It allows you to add your own bios and photos of an artist. It might be worth it for you since it's only one artist. If you were wanting a lot it wouldn't be worth the time IMO.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
YW. Google it! It allows you to add your own bios and photos of an artist. It might be worth it for you since it's only one artist. If you were wanting a lot it wouldn't be worth the time IMO.
Ok I've downloaded the ZuneConsole. After downloading it, I ran it and followed the directions I got from online. However, I don't know how to get it on my Zune. Do you know how to do this?

Thanks!

-McDougal

Retired Devices:

Old 04-17-2010, 04:00 PM

I don't have a ZHD so I've never tried it. According to the ZuneConsole Tutorial:

Quote:
So now that we hooked ZuneConsole, it is ready to serve our custom content to our Zune HD.
To test that, go to your favorite browser (if it’s already open, you need to restart it) and enter the
following URL in the address bar:
http://image.catalog.zune.net/v3.0/e...ype=image/jpeg
This is the URL your Zune uses to fetch the background image for the Artist with the UUID “2f120000‐
0600‐11db‐89ca‐0019b92a3933”, e.g. Kansas. If you used another UUID in this tutorial, replace the
Kansas UUID with yours. Remember, this is just to test if we hooked everything up right, it’s not an
integral part of the process. Means you don’t need to do that every time.
Now plug‐in the Zune HD via the USB cable. You’ll see the Zune Software popping up. In this example,
we’ve been adding custom content for the Artist “Kansas”, so we’ll add an album of them to our
Zune.

After everything’s been synced (Zune Status: “Sync complete” or “Connected”), we close the Zune
software, so our Zune goes back to its usual mode.
Now here’s the important thing: Leave the Zune plugged‐in for a while and check from time to time if
your content has been updated (e.g. select “Music” and then the artist you added custom info to).
It may take up to 30 seconds for each artist to update.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:14 PM

I am not sure I believe the Zune Software on the whole Reserved Space thing anyway. Right now, with 5% Reserved Space, the software says I have Reserved Space taking up 18.52GB and Music taking up 685.42MB.