android
Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Default DNSE 3.0 Problem

Ok, I don't have a YP-P3 but I have a YP-R1 and they both use DNSE 3.0, and I thought I would post here since the yp-r1 forum is dead, and it take's about a day or 2 to get a response.

On topic, this player sounds amazing but I have one problem that's been bugging me a lot. It's hard to describe but there is a slurping type affect from the singing when I'm listening to songs, and it is very harsh sounding. I have tweaked the setting a lot but it still occurs on most of my tracks. I have had issue's with my YP-R1 and this is my third one and the other players had the same problem, so it's not a fault in my player.

So since the YP-P3 has the same sound chip, I was wondering has anyone else here noticed a problem like this?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Banned

I'm not sure, but Concert Hall and it's configurable options sounds bad (to me at least), I always have that switched off; you might also want to have Clarity at 1 out of 2 instead of at max.

Are you sure your files are ok?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 PM

The singing in some of my files on my p2 sounds better.

Thanks for the help I already had clarity set to 1, but I disabled the concert hall setting and it helped, but the problem is still slightly there.
The problem is a lot worse on wma files than mp3 files, could this have anything to do with it?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Banned

My wma files sound fine - I don't have very many, though.

It could be that yours were badly ripped. Don't use the Audio Upscaler unless you really need it (it doesn't make much difference.) Also check your Street mode settings - they enhance the vocal - and check your master EQ as well as your regular EQ presets.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
My wma files sound fine - I don't have very many, though.

It could be that yours were badly ripped. Don't use the Audio Upscaler unless you really need it (it doesn't make much difference.) Also check your Street mode settings - they enhance the vocal - and check your master EQ as well as your regular EQ presets.
What do you mean by badly ripped?
Also yeah I find audio up scaler pretty useless, it also seems to enhance the problem, as does street mode.

Could you give me a good master EQ setting? I research the internet and found a really good preset EQ but I'm not sure about a good master EQ

Thanks for the help

Old 02-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

My master EQ I have the bass turned up one notch, but that's all. The best EQ setting is the one that sounds best for you, for your phones, genres etc.. It's good that there are 3 presets for DNSe3 so you can save a variety.

What bit-rate are your wma files? Are they cbr or vbr? I made the mistake when I didn't know any better of ripping some CDs I no longer have to the extreme setting wma vbr. They sound great, but go beyond 400kbps, some of them, thus wasting space. They play fine on all my players except my Cowon E2.

If you can, you might try re-ripping those songs that don't sound so good on your R1 to lame mpr vbr. There are good guides and plenty of people who can advise on this site.

Not that wma's should sound bad, but yours obviously aren't up to the standard of your mp3s.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the tip, my CD's are now ripping at a lot higher quality. Sadly the problems still there, and it's only really affecting my wma files and it's still very noticeable and annoying. Its made some albums unlistenable, oh well I'm just going have to stick with it

Thanks anyway

Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 PM

This is a problem with every single Samsung PMP to date.

When the Bass setting is turned up too high (Nothing to do with EQ), the treble, especially the "ch" "sh" and "t" sounds will become "slurpy" and harsh sounding.

I personally have gotten used to the slurpy sound, because I really love the bass of the Samsung PMPs.

If you really don't mind having less bass, then turn the Bass setting to 1 or completely off. The slurping sound should disappear completely.

ANOTHER WAY to get rid of the slurpy sound, is to turn clarity down to 1, or off completely. That way the Bass can still be kept quite high without slurpy sound.

I have been the owner of 4 Samsung PMPs, so I'm quite familiar with the slurping sound, and it has nothing to do with Street Mode, Audio Upscaler, or EQ as a matter of fact...

JUST MAKE SURE that you do not use Clarity and Bass together both at high settings, because that will cause the "slurpy" sounds.

Hope that helps

Old 02-03-2010, 11:44 PM

I always have the upscaler on, i find it makes a small difference, but overall a good one. and i do agree that having clarity up makes sounds a bit odd

Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoss View Post

When the Bass setting is turned up too high (Nothing to do with EQ), the treble, especially the "ch" "sh" and "t" sounds will become "slurpy" and harsh sounding.

I personally have gotten used to the slurpy sound, because I really love the bass of the Samsung PMPs.

If you really don't mind having less bass, then turn the Bass setting to 1 or completely off. The slurping sound should disappear completely.

ANOTHER WAY to get rid of the slurpy sound, is to turn clarity down to 1, or off completely. That way the Bass can still be kept quite high without slurpy sound.

I have been the owner of 4 Samsung PMPs, so I'm quite familiar with the slurping sound, and it has nothing to do with Street Mode, Audio Upscaler, or EQ as a matter of fact...

JUST MAKE SURE that you do not use Clarity and Bass together both at high settings, because that will cause the "slurpy" sounds.

Hope that helps

I have the Master EQ set to minimum base, and I use the "Dance" preset. Works like a charm.

And uh...yeah, pretty much every piece of advice has already been given that could help you.

Last edited by Crimson Raven; 02-04-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've never touched my Master EQ, or the street mode or audio upscaler. The "My DNSe" Bass, Clarity, and 7-band EQ are the only things I tweak.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoss View Post

Hope that helps
Yeah that helped a lot thanks, and yes it's really noticeable with 'ch' or 'sh'. It's also really noticeable when listening to Muse, but I turned down the Bass and the clarety and it helped a lot
I think it's also to do with the supposed 'premium' in ear earphones provided with the YP-R1. So I have ordered a pair of Sennheiser CX300 2, so hopefully that will improve the sound even more.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Better HeadPhones Better Sound...A Lot Better Than The Default Provided Earphones...

Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 AM

Default Bass and Clarity

As a newbie, where will I find the Bass and Clarity Settings please. I can only see the DNSE and EQ functions.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headache5678 View Post
As a newbie, where will I find the Bass and Clarity Settings please. I can only see the DNSE and EQ functions.
When you're listening to a tune, hit the DNSe option, then select myDNSe. Then edit one of the 3 user presets. Voila.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:48 AM

Thank you.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:55 PM

Yeah, I know the effect he's talking about. It can be annoying, but I look past it.