android
Old 02-03-2010, 06:47 AM

Default library won't read Id3 tags

Just got my new P3 and seeing as this seems to be the only place owners hang out I have a question.

I can't get it to read some of id3 tags on my music. Everything has valid tags having been tagged for years with winamp and recently with music brainz I a know everything is tagged up fine.

But in library artists are missing or tracks are missing from albums and in file browser the files are there and play but only file names show up no tag info.

And I know for a fact the tags are fine having been double and triple checked.

Has anyone had this problem or can suggest a fix?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 PM

You could try going to the settings menu and find the "update library" selection. The unplug P3 from PC "library update" doesn't always update the changes correctly.

If the songs were added at different times, it could cause them not to show up in the lists you are speaking about.

Try the manual library update and see if that fixes it.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorscot View Post
Just got my new P3 and seeing as this seems to be the only place owners hang out I have a question.

I can't get it to read some of id3 tags on my music. Everything has valid tags having been tagged for years with winamp and recently with music brainz I a know everything is tagged up fine.

But in library artists are missing or tracks are missing from albums and in file browser the files are there and play but only file names show up no tag info.

And I know for a fact the tags are fine having been double and triple checked.

Has anyone had this problem or can suggest a fix?
Sorry to say but regardless of what you've just said, there probably is a 95% probability of it being the tags or the actual files. What version tags are you saving? What format are the files (mp3, wma, etc) and what bitrates are we talking about? Constant bitrate or variable?

You're going to have to find out what plays (and show up) and what doesn't. Find out what is different about the files that play and the ones that don't play. That mostly likely will lead you directly to the problem.

Where there any irregularities (sync disconnects, freeze ups, etc) during the sync or copying of the files?

Last edited by pgh1969pa; 02-05-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:23 PM

This happened to me too. Tags simply weren't read. I formated and reinstalled the firmware several times with the only result that no tags were read and the menus were emptied, apart from "Unknown" (which sometimes changes name to a filename or something in korean) where all files on the player are listed as their respective filenames. I sent a mail to Samsung's Swedish support about this, but I haven't got any response so I'll try again soon...

Old 02-06-2010, 05:29 PM

The manual update on the device seemed to fix this. Thanks for the advice. Everything at a glance seems to show up now so the library shows all the tracks with the correct tags from what I can see.

It was a totally strange thing to happen I had some albums that only showed one or two tracks in library view but showed up and played fine on the file browser. But the albums all seem to be complete and I can't spot anything missing.

Everything else about the player works just fine and dandy and since I replaced the earphones with something a little better than the ones that came with it I am more than happy now. It was a minor inconvenience having the library not work but it was starting to really get to me.

Thanks again for the help it hadn't even occurred to me to try that as it had said the library updated every time it disconnected.

P.S pgh1969pa All my files are tagged with v1 and 2 tags for ID3 as my old zen was another id3 based player not sure which version the P3 is using. Totally loving the P3 in comparison although I miss the fact the P3 doesn't have the option to rate tracks or play albums randomly or make auto playlists based on favourite tracks but that's pretty minor.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:18 AM

Glad I could help.

I had a similiar issue when I put an external playlist on. The first time it didn't have the the correct path to the songs so the playlist showed empty. Then after I fixed that problem the playlist continued to claim it was empty even though I checked it several times and the "library update" happened each disconnect from PC. Finally I did the manual "library update" and it refreshed every playlist in the P3 including internals, and built in filter lists.

Being you were pretty sure your tags were good plain old ID3 tags without any strange fields in the tags, all I could figure was the semi update was missing the changes you had made and only verifying what was already in it's lists, not anything new.

I too enjoy my P3 and will miss it when I'm forced to go crapple just before my 3 year extended warranty is up. I just might go crapple replacement then hunt down a 32 gig P3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
Sorry to say but regardless of what you've just said, there probably is a 95% probability of it being the tags or the actual files.
Yeah, looks like 95% was a bit exaggerated :-p

Problematic tags tend to glitch the player and cause intermittent reboots from my experience. Being it was just a not showing up issue, it really sounded like a very minimal chance it was bad tags. ;-)

Last edited by TomCat39; 02-07-2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: typo corrections

Old 02-07-2010, 05:59 PM

Why would you be forced to switch before the warranty expires? I quite intend to keep my p3 till it breaks(hopefully more than the 2 years my zen lasted) and given the build quality hopefully that will be at least 3 years.

I've so far managed to avoid the crapple, been a walkman man all my days with the exception being my foray into a zen(probably not doing that again) and would still be if they weren't so expensive. The big thing for me was always build quality; sony always had that in spades and I'm glad to see Samsung has the same even if they share sony's hallmark of crappy software.

The only reason I can think of switching for a good long while is if I can find a 64gb or bigger P3(or whatever Samsung releases after) but the 32gb I have is more than fine as its big enough to give plenty choice even though its still only a fraction of my actual library. Been buying 30gb players for 5 years now and its pretty much the sweet spot mp3 player wise in my opinion any smaller and you are constantly updating it and any bigger you can't find anything.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat39 View Post
Glad I could help.

Yeah, looks like 95% was a bit exaggerated :-p

Problematic tags tend to glitch the player and cause intermittent reboots from my experience. Being it was just a not showing up issue, it really sounded like a very minimal chance it was bad tags. ;-)
May be a little premature and it very well may still be a tag or file issue. Problem tags will case reboots in reading the tag or case the internal database to fail to completely update, thus the missing songs. Just because they are now read doesn't the problem is gone. Seen both happen on the T9, T10, and P2. Bad tag or file causes the new songs to fail to add to the database. A manual update and the files are there. I still had problems and ended up replacing the files in the end. I hope you're right but I wouldn't be too sure that the problem is resolved.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 AM

The tags aren't bad. The tags are all recently updated and checked with more than one type of tagging software and check out fine. My last player was also id3 tag based and had no problem with the same files. The problem seems to be that on disconnect the library isn't actually updated as I've tested that out and unless selected in settings the player won't update on its own.

The database seems stable, it seems to a be a firmware problem more than anything else.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:35 PM

And my tags check out too. The problem tags looked just great in WMP and MM. No problems with the version, unsupported charaters, or album art. I even blew the tags away with MM and started again. Still problematic. Once I blew the tags away and used mp3tag to retag my problem files did the issue go away for good and I didn't need to force the player to recognize the files via manual updating.