android
Old 02-24-2010, 10:49 AM

And another thing. When you do save a file (I checked the data which it auto saves to) then it doesn't save the new lines. Everything ends up in one big line, and where there should have been a line the words a re stuck together without even a space in between.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 PM

Hi! If not hardness, add please the Russian lay-out
ps I am sorry for my "English", I from Ukraine, and English know badly, therefore took advantage of translator

Old 02-24-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revol View Post
ps I am sorry for my "English", I from Ukraine, and English know badly, therefore took advantage of translator
Russian layout. Do you mean with the russian letters or the regular roman ones but not qwerty?
Perhaps keyboard layouts could be another option feature to implement in a later version when everything else is working.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
Russian layout. Do you mean with the russian letters or the regular roman ones but not qwerty?
Perhaps keyboard layouts could be another option feature to implement in a later version when everything else is working.
It would be not bad, if there simply was a choice of lay-out in Options, and among other languages there was Russian. In any case it is one of the most interesting and functionings applications now, for our player

Old 02-24-2010, 03:59 PM
X-Fi2 App Master

I vote Japanese! I'm in the process of learning it so it'd be quite useful.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:28 PM

The hold functionality for the backspace needs refining. First of all the button "flickers" up and down, which doesn't look really good, and there is a delay to it when you release making it easy to erase too much.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 PM

I tried to reply to all the posts in this thread, a few times. Everytime I get caught up in the "hmm maybe I should just try it.. oh doesn't work.. what if I change this...." loop.

So, well, proper replys (answers) are coming, it's just that I'm working on them to make them working
Sorry for the delay.
Word wrapping is actually working very well in the load() function, but while trying to add it to the regular typing ( draw() ) some problems came up..

Last edited by Brett_val; 02-25-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 AM

Try saving the saved file as a lua file.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Please, could someone explain clearly how to load an existing file copied from the computer to be able to read it? Does it have to be .txt ? Or .lua? In which folder should i place it in order to be easier load it? What would be the procedure in the Noteee-fi app?
Thanks

Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiva76 View Post
Please, could someone explain clearly how to load an existing file copied from the computer to be able to read it? Does it have to be .txt ? Or .lua? In which folder should i place it in order to be easier load it? What would be the procedure in the Noteee-fi app?
Thanks
You can load a .txt. And easiest is to place it in the same folder as the main.lua. Then you only have to type filename.txt when in the load screen.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Bug list:
1. When changing button color the enter button does not change color
2. Back button in Options and Meny do not change either, stays semi-transparent.
3. Saved file, wrote in name and pressed enter, the app crashed. (Kept my preferences though, nice!)

Suggestions:
1. Implement a function for tapping where you want the cursor in the text.
2. if that function is added you can make the cursor keys optional.

Impression:
Just pure WIN! Definitely the best utility-app this far! Some minor bugs to sort out, but awesome job! I hope this can inspire other people to make awesome apps.
I'm glad you like it ! And also many thanks for testing it.
1. The enter button is not transparant.. It's acually just the back-button that I edited. I could just use the space-button and write "enter" in it, that way it would stay transparant.. But I like this arrow better.
2. Ah I see, forgot about that. Fixed now.
3. Hmm yeah I encountered that too.. But not always though. Anyway I changed something in lines 558-560, and since then it worked better for me.. I hope it's better now. Oh what filename did you type? Maybe some characters aren't allowed or something.
1. I added tapping to change cursor position Its not perfect and sometimes selects a line below or above where you tap, but its a start..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmd View Post
if i try to save file as then i get ERROR but the auto save works as it did before.
The app is looking really nice though =)
Thank you
I changed something on the saving part.. is it better now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsAccount View Post
This app looks really nice and professional! It's fantastic! I can't figure out where the apostrophe is though...
Thanks man, glad that you like it!
And about the apostrophe, when I figured out how to use the " in the app, I changed the apostrophe for the " . But an apostrophe is needed too.. but the way the keyboard is now, I need to take a character out before I can add it back.. any suggestions? The ~ is maybe not so necessary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeniwan View Post
Nice app.
He is very handy.
THANKS!
Maybe you can create a function that you can delete the saved file.
And perhaps a function that you can the scroll list of saved files.
Good idea, a scrollable filelist would have much more room.
Deleting files is possible in v.2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeniwan View Post
Maybe you can also insert characters like this:

Well, I tried that, but the player doesn't display them. Instead of those characters, it shows something that looks like a chinese character... I also don't see them anywhere else in the player so I'm afraid it can only display them as the characters without the accents if they appear in a text that you want to load. I already did this for the (gets displayed as a regular i). If there's no other way I'll do this for all those characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLoke View Post
unicode support !!! haha. no more competition from me Brett. i scraped my Epad idea. working on another app
Haha did you gave up. No just kidding What are you working on now then?
I think I once got a message while saving the lua file that it contained unicode characters, and therefore needed a different format, so I didn't save it..
I also don't think those characters are supported by the player. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone?

Quote:
Did some more testing.
The load function works perfectly fine from what I can gather, saving crashes the app, as I said before.
One thing I noticed is that while typing in file names the keyboard behaves differently. The shift button works as caps lock, and the num keyboard doesn't retract automatically as it does during normal writing.

Another suggestion.
Is it possible to allow the app to wrap text from a file it has loaded? I prefer left-right scrolling off but loaded texts generally go outside the boundaries of the screen. Also of course make it so it wraps the entire word down to the next line, instead of cutting it up.

The next advanced thing to do might be to allow (as in Word and similar) to let the user chose if the right margin should be straight or if it can be "ragged". This would of course be hard when painting out he text, to separate the words more and such. But it'd be a nice addition once the basics are all down.
Text wrapping was also suggested by JJLoke earlier, but I didn't understand it then. I gave it a try in v2.5, and while wrapping words on loading a file was quite easy, wordwrapping in regular typing was a little more complex than I thought. But I think it's working pretty well now. Just one thing; while typing it creates a new empty line and places the wrapped word in the new line. I tried to add it to the next line but I have to make a lot of changes for that, so I may do that later.
Keyboard is now also more like when regular typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idroy View Post
Wow... Pretty sweet . You only need to fix the save error, and maybe the cursor buttons,(first time I saw them I didn't know what they do) make them arrow-shaped or something.
Yeah those buttons are indeed a little weird.. but Im going to remove them anyway when the touch function for the cursor is reliable enough.
Quote:
And another thing. When you do save a file (I checked the data which it auto saves to) then it doesn't save the new lines. Everything ends up in one big line, and where there should have been a line the words a re stuck together without even a space in between.
I noticed that too, and at first I thought too that the enters were not saved. But when you open the file in Notepad++ or in Word, the different lines are shown. So its just that regular windows-notepad doesnt show the enters.( which the app adds by writing \n to the file.)
Quote:
Quote:
It would be not bad, if there simply was a choice of lay-out in Options, and among other languages there was Russian. In any case it is one of the most interesting and functionings applications now, for our player
Like Habhome said, do you mean the Russian alphabet or another layout of the qwerty keyboard?
I could add options to change the keyboard layout, but I'm not sure if I can add Russian characters, because the player doesn't even seem to support characters like ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsAccount View Post
I vote Japanese! I'm in the process of learning it so it'd be quite useful.
Haha well if you could explain where to put each character I could give it a try, I dont know any Japanese

Quote:
The hold functionality for the backspace needs refining. First of all the button "flickers" up and down, which doesn't look really good, and there is a delay to it when you release making it easy to erase too much.
That flickering is intentional, because of the delay. This way you can see if it is still backspacing. Im not sure what I can do about the delay..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiva76 View Post
Thanks
The file can have any name, as long as it contains only text. If the file is readable in windows notepad then the app will read it.
Just place it in the "Notepad" folder in the player, go to menu-> load file -> new
and enter the name of the file, including the extension (usually .txt.)
For example, if the file is called notes.txt, just type in notes.txt and press enter.

Then, if you want to add this file to the loadlist, go to menu->save current file.
The filename should appear in the box. Just press enter and it's saved in the loadlist

For next update I maybe make it so that it automatically adds loaded files to the loadlist, I think that would be a lot easier.

I hope I made this clear.
If there is anything else, just ask

Last edited by Brett_val; 02-27-2010 at 12:47 AM.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 AM

Nice with the new read mode!
This far I have encountered one bug and that is when you activate the numeric keyboard, the cursor jump so the second character on the first line. Perhaps this was the bug you yourself mention in the first post?

Saving still doesn't work for me. I typed in test.txt as filename, and got an error.

Wrapping happens even if it is a space that makes it exceed the line, so it moves the word down even though it isn't necessary.

In portrait mode it should perhaps rewrap the text for those who's disabled left right scrolling. Now it is outside the screen anyway.

Last edited by Habhome; 02-27-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:33 AM

here is my text wrap idea:

each character input will increase a variable by one. so for the word "hello" it will have a variable of 5. a spacebar entry will clear the variable to 0. if variable is >=2 and end of screen is true, then go backwards the number of variable input and bring down to next line

there may be a simpler way though

Old 02-27-2010, 09:16 AM

Im giving some suggestions n also noticed quite a number of bugs here:

1)
Quote:
I have encountered one bug and that is when you activate the numeric keyboard, the cursor jump so the second character on the first line.
True, The curser kept on heading to the second character on the numeric keyboard. However, i also noticed it also move to another character in read-mode

2)
Quote:

Saving still doesn't work for me. I typed in test.txt as filename, and got an error.
Ya, i tried saving it by pressing the enter button by it will say "Error Occured!". Only autosave can work.

3) Wen u click on "fullstop" n some other symbols now, it automatically goes to the capital alphabats keyboard (i noe tat it was on purpose n i like tat idea) however, i noticed tat now, if u click the space button on the keyboard mentioned above, the letters automatically turns to small letters (which wasnt wat happen on the previous version). Tats a bit inconvenient.

4) I also noticed tat wen u activate "show current line, total characters n filename", the filename is placed the top of the screen which is always blockin the characters on the first line, perhaps u could place it beside the "characters n current line".

5) I think u should remove the curser keyboard thing which moves the curser above the keyboard (hope u understand wat i mean) since u can move the curser by tapping now. Its also accurate enough so tat isnt a need for the curser keyboard thing.

Perhaps u could fix all these bugs n release v2.51 (similar to wat u did to version v2.4) instead of a totally new version first.

Last edited by fzbm123; 02-27-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Nice with the new read mode!
This far I have encountered one bug and that is when you activate the numeric keyboard, the cursor jump so the second character on the first line. Perhaps this was the bug you yourself mention in the first post?

Wrapping happens even if it is a space that makes it exceed the line, so it moves the word down even though it isn't necessary.

In portrait mode it should perhaps rewrap the text for those who's disabled left right scrolling. Now it is outside the screen anyway.
Yeah that was the bug of interferance with the tapping cursor.. I changed some things now and it should be better.
About saving, I made a mistake in the saving code. A function that is needed wasn't loaded at the start, but only after a load had been done. When I tested it I always loaded a file first, and therefore I did not notice it.

That's also better now, and I hope that you can finally save your text

And about the wrapping, when you reach the max linelength (value set on line 97) it starts looking for a space, and wraps the characters behind that space to a new line. I made it so that it ignores spaces at the end of a line because behind that it has nothing to wrap.
But I changed that, now it just places the space on a new line. While this does result in more lines, it may look better..

I also increased the max linelength from 380 to 390 to make it fit the screen a little better.. you can change that value on line 97.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLoke View Post
here is my text wrap idea:

each character input will increase a variable by one. so for the word "hello" it will have a variable of 5. a spacebar entry will clear the variable to 0. if variable is >=2 and end of screen is true, then go backwards the number of variable input and bring down to next line

there may be a simpler way though
I think that's very similar to what I did, only my code starts looking for a space and counting the characters when it reaches the end of a line. Maybe it's faster if it counts while typing, like you say. Thanks for the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzbm123 View Post
Im giving some suggestions n also noticed quite a number of bugs here:

1)
True, The curser kept on heading to the second character on the numeric keyboard. However, i also noticed it also move to another character in read-mode

2)

Ya, i tried saving it by pressing the enter button by it will say "Error Occured!". Only autosave can work.

3) Wen u click on "fullstop" n some other symbols now, it automatically goes to the capital alphabats keyboard (i noe tat it was on purpose n i like tat idea) however, i noticed tat now, if u click the space button on the keyboard mentioned above, the letters automatically turns to small letters (which wasnt wat happen on the previous version). Tats a bit inconvenient.

4) I also noticed tat wen u activate "show current line, total characters n filename", the filename is placed the top of the screen which is always blockin the characters on the first line, perhaps u could place it beside the "characters n current line".

5) I think u should remove the curser keyboard thing which moves the curser above the keyboard (hope u understand wat i mean) since u can move the curser by tapping now. Its also accurate enough so tat isnt a need for the curser keyboard thing.

Perhaps u could fix all these bugs n release v2.51 (similar to wat u did to version v2.4) instead of a totally new version first.
1. All coordinates with buttons are now excluded from the touchtap.. I think it's better now.

2. Also changed, does saving work now?

3. Aah I see.. while fixing other stuff I messed that up.. It's working again now.
I may make the whole "automatic caps" thingy optional, if it's bothering some people.

4. I kinda liked having it up there, but alright it's at the bottom now.
It's also blocking characters there, but does this look better?

5. I'm not sure about the accuracy of the touch-cursor. I think those cursor buttons are still needed. But I'll think of something else for them, because they look pretty ugly now.

Yeah I think I add more bugs than that I fix
So here is a bug fix update: v2.51 is now up.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_val View Post
So here is a bug fix update: v2.51 is now up.
thx a lot for the new update

Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 PM

thank you so much! this is perfect...
will use a lot to cheat on tests... its perfect!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM

i have a suggestion for a future version of this...
you could make a cell phone keyboard layout, because thats what we most use to write with our hands, i think. and so the buttons could be a little bit bigger which would help with precision... and in my case i would be able to write faster.
Horizontally it could be the normal keyboard, and vertically the "cell phone one". And in both ways possible to hide the keyboard for a read mode.

Thank you

Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplacido View Post
i have a suggestion for a future version of this...
you could make a cell phone keyboard layout, because thats what we most use to write with our hands, i think. and so the buttons could be a little bit bigger which would help with precision... and in my case i would be able to write faster.
Horizontally it could be the normal keyboard, and vertically the "cell phone one". And in both ways possible to hide the keyboard for a read mode.

Thank you
Hey that's a good one, I was thinking of adding the keyboard somehow to the portrait view mode, but I didn't want the keys to be really small or become stacked to six rows or something.
I have to make a totally new keyboard for it, but I think it's worth it.

Although, you probably mean T9, right? I'm not sure if I can imitate such a thing.. and if the player is constantly searching though a dictionary it could slow everything down.

Oh and about cheating on tests, don't you think it'll look a little weird that you have your mp3 player on you during tests? I used to print my notes on paper in a really small font, so small that even I could hardy read it, and hid in my pencil or something. But by the time I had the tests I hardly ever used it because I already knew what was on it The preparation of a cheat note is usually enough to remember the stuff.

Aren't there any more errors? I got so used to having something working for myself, and then discovering the faults through you guys that I can hardly believe it's really working fine for everyone now

Old 03-02-2010, 01:14 PM

the notepad works great saving and loading works now.
The options looks nice and the only thing i think would
be nice is some word wrapping. Read mode works great
but word wrapping for that would make it more useful.

The only other things would be side apps to work with the notepad,
like a calendar or planner.

Tags
application, notepad, x-fi 2