android
Old 02-11-2010, 05:17 PM

So it has gapless playback with LAME mp3?

If so this is a perfect player to replace my annoying ZEN.

It has my two most wanted features gapless and MSC.

Cowon, Microsoft, Apple, and Rockbox seem to be the only ones with gapless playback.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, it's gapless with LAME and FLAC. With FHG, Xing, and such it's hit or miss - some of those indeed do play gapless as well, but not all. Didn't try Vorbis yet, and don't touch WMA crap with a 10-foot-pole.

Can't say if it's better or worse than the iPod wheel, that seems to be a personal choice that differs from person to person. I personally don't particularly like the iPod's circular motion approach. It seems to be made for people with no organization in their files, for people scrolling through one huge mess of a list. I prefer the linear approach of the i9. Compared to the i7 the responsiveness improved certainly a lot.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 PM

I watched the video EnzoTen made and it looks better than the iPod clickwheel to me.

LAME and FLAC are the only formats I use so that is good. I think this player is a winner.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
What exactly is it that you don't like about the i9?

FWIW; I find it so extremely much better than the i7, it's not even funny: UI usability, UI design, slimness, gapless, ViVA, album art (i.e. screen resolution), native video support, video out.
I guess there isn't really a "problem" with i9 in the point of view of a buyer w/o a Cowon product.

I was mainly speaking in regards to upgrading, the i9 offers basically only a "better ui" but I still highly doubt the UI / style is even comparable to nearly anything iRiver pushes out. Therefore, I don't see the ui/style even being presented as a possible achievement of any kind.

I don't think native video support is something the i7 is in need of as I see the S9 the optimal choice for video. I guess video out is neat, but I don't have any want for it. Album art annoys me as it usually just annoys my text.

As for gapless, the i7 is gapless enough for me? I play flacs / mp3 / ogg on my cowon, and I haven't ever noticed a gap between songs.

If I were to say things I'd rather they have done? I would have rathered for them to have spent more money into getting a nice battery use / touch screen ( or even an AMOLED screen ) as opposed to trying to attempt to be "stylish". I think that if anyone had a true requirement for style, Cowon wouldn't even be a possible brand which is expected considering their products ( including the i9 ) are ugly.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmwyso View Post
I think that if anyone had a true requirement for style, Cowon wouldn't even be a possible brand which is expected considering their products ( including the i9 ) are ugly.
I think the S9 and i9 are pretty sexy, and I don't think I would trust anything from iRiver these days.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I guess there isn't really a "problem" with i9 in the point of view of a buyer w/o a Cowon product.

I was mainly speaking in regards to upgrading, the i9 offers basically only a "better ui" but I still highly doubt the UI / style is even comparable to nearly anything iRiver pushes out. Therefore, I don't see the ui/style even being presented as a possible achievement of any kind.

I don't think native video support is something the i7 is in need of as I see the S9 the optimal choice for video. I guess video out is neat, but I don't have any want for it. Album art annoys me as it usually just annoys my text.

As for gapless, the i7 is gapless enough for me? I play flacs / mp3 / ogg on my cowon, and I haven't ever noticed a gap between songs.

If I were to say things I'd rather they have done? I would have rathered for them to have spent more money into getting a nice battery use / touch screen ( or even an AMOLED screen ) as opposed to trying to attempt to be "stylish". I think that if anyone had a true requirement for style, Cowon wouldn't even be a possible brand which is expected considering their products ( including the i9 ) are ugly.
Seems it's all a matter of perspective - you have your priorities and I have mine. The points I raised make no sense to you, and yours make absolutely none for me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I think the S9 and i9 are pretty sexy, and I don't think I would trust anything from iRiver these days.
Indeed, the i9 looks amazing in person - definitely the sexiest player Cowon has ever made. The glass front plate with the subtle white LED backlight is really easy on the eye, the slimness, the curves, ...

Old 02-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned

iRiver are shit these days - forgettable clone players. I played around with a B30 and it was garbage, utterly pointless crappy interface.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine
iRiver are shit these days - forgettable clone players. I played around with a B30 and it was garbage, utterly pointless crappy interface.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/wp-con...iver-spinn.jpg

Who did they clone this off of?

As far as components... I've heard iRiver does very poorly, and I would never question Cowon's quality of components.

If we are going to discuss a "cloning factor", Cowon is becoming a huge clone ( in style ). The i9 is basically every other cell phone I've ever seen, except that it may be slimmer.

Just to make this point clear, I completely trust Cowon's components in every way, shape or form. I simply see Cowon making a minuscule attempt to try and grab a market that they never cared about before. On top of that, they are losing the attributes that their market actually does care about ( ex: battery power ). I personally see this becoming a trend for Cowon to start sacrificing components for style, and I am simply not pleased at the mere idea of it.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/wp-con...iver-spinn.jpg

Who did they clone this off of?

As far as components... I've heard iRiver does very poorly, and I would never question Cowon's quality of components.

If we are going to discuss a "cloning factor", Cowon is becoming a huge clone ( in style ). The i9 is basically every other cell phone I've ever seen, except that it may be slimmer.

Just to make this point clear, I completely trust Cowon's components in every way, shape or form. I simply see Cowon making a minuscule attempt to try and grab a market that they never cared about before. On top of that, they are losing the attributes that their market actually does care about ( ex: battery power ). I personally see this becoming a trend for Cowon to start sacrificing components for style, and I am simply not pleased at the mere idea of it.
I thought the only reason the i7 had good battery life is they had more room in it for a better battery since they didn't use a hard drive in it like they did with the i6. I would rather have a thinner more pocketable device than a fat brick. 29 hours isn't too bad anyway at least for me.

Last edited by eboyer93; 02-11-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboyer93 View Post
I thought the only reason the i7 had good battery life is they had more room in that ugly thing for a better battery since they didn't use a hard drive in it like they did with the i6. I would rather have a thinner more pocketable device than a fat brick. 29 hours isn't too bad anyway at least for me.
Careful, you'll draw the ire of WalkGood with statements like that.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
well its just my opinion

Old 02-11-2010, 10:46 PM

Wait, what is the difference between LAME MP3s and regular MP3s?

@dfkt: I'm surprised you really enjoy this player, since in the thread that first announced the i9, you were initially against it..

Don't judge a book by its cover eh?

Old 02-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I was biased because of overly bad experiences I already had with those kinds of interfaces. The i9 still doesn't achieve perfection for a vanity/looks-over-functionality interface approach that makes no sense and actually shouldn't exist - but surprisingly, it does work well enough.

I've tried the Samsung Q1 and Q2 before, and some iRiver with touchpad interface (forgot the name) - those were utterly abysmal and unusable, 100% style over substance. I also have quite a bit of experience with the i7 although I never owned one personally (it's been on permanent display in a store here, for years). The i7 was the second best of the touch-interface bunch (which doesn't mean much, since the i7 interface is seriously botched compared to the i9), after the old Creative ZV:M, which got the sliding part in combination with plenty of tactile buttons right. Now the i9 doesn't have as many real buttons as the ZV:M, but it certainly makes up for that with an intelligent and responsive touch field, and the same tactile button layout as the D2 or i7.

I gave the i9 to my girlfriend, and she doesn't complain... at least not as much as me.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I thought the only reason the i7 had good battery life is they had more room in it for a better battery since they didn't use a hard drive in it like they did with the i6. I would rather have a thinner more pocketable device than a fat brick. 29 hours isn't too bad anyway at least for me.
Quote:
Actually at first I found her ugly too, she grows on you very fast and it’s hard to believe from pictures, she’s actually a nice sexy size both in the hand or pocket. With her sound enhancements tweaked she really sounds great with the ue11/pico combo, I’m not getting rid of this one, even though I may get a new DAP soon. BTW, did you hear she can last longer than all night long ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-12-2010, 09:00 AM

I wouldn't mind having an i7 if it supported gapless because if it did it is much cheaper than the i9. But since it doesn't I won't be getting it.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I wouldn't mind having an i7 if it supported gapless because if it did it is much cheaper than the i9. But since it doesn't I won't be getting it.
I agree and why buy old tech, unless it's just a steal and it's not ...

Old 02-12-2010, 01:35 PM

How come they don't have a separate sub forum for the i9 because the i9 and i7/6 aren't that similar?

Old 02-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
How come they don't have a separate sub forum for the i9 because the i9 and i7/6 aren't that similar?
I tend to agree, we'll see what happens over time ...

Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sure, while the i6 and 7 are essentially the exact same player, just with HDD vs. flash memory, the i9 is their logical successor, as the name and interface suggests. We'll see how popular it gets. Maybe it deserves its own subforum once it gains more popularity.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:33 PM

Wow! Must admit i was surprised by the i9's review. I mean, it's been such a long time looking for a suitable replacement for my Creative Zen MicroPhoto. It's an old one from an old creative product line, but I grew so much fond of it: touch buttons, beautiful design and nice screen - for that time, sure

The only question I have by now is if the i9 can drive Head-Direct RE0 well enought without any amps. Can it? Well enough just like Sansa Clip+?