android
Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 PM

Default Soldering More Internal Memory?

It's great to see that 32 GB MicroSD cards are on the way, but I think we can count on them costing an arm and a leg (maybe more) for quite some time yet. On the other hand, Class 4, 32 GB SD cards can be had for under $100. So my question is geared toward those looking to trick out their e200's on the cheap.

With extremely precise soldering, would it be possible to solder short connective wires from the pins of the MicroSD slot to the pins of an SD card taped/glued to the inside of the chassis? This would obviously kill the usability of the slot, but for 32 gigs, I could care less. Am I missing a technical detail that makes this a silly question?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftium View Post
With extremely precise soldering, would it be possible to solder short connective wires from the pins of the MicroSD slot to the pins of an SD card taped/glued to the inside of the chassis? This would obviously kill the usability of the slot, but for 32 gigs, I could care less. Am I missing a technical detail that makes this a silly question?
I don't think you can fit an SD card inside the e200. Theres not a lot of room in there.

But yes in principle theres no reason you can run out the SD bus pins a relatively short distance.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Administrator

There's a thread somewhere here in the forum where someone used a sd to microsd adapter something like this one to do what I think it is you're trying to do.

Too late at night for me to look for it now. Maybe someone else will remember where it's posted.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
There's a thread somewhere here in the forum where someone used a sd to microsd adapter something like this one to do what I think it is you're trying to do.

Too late at night for me to look for it now. Maybe someone else will remember where it's posted.
If anyone reading this knows what thread that skip's talking about, help a brother out; that's a tough forum search to implement. I haven't found it yet, but I'll keep looking.

The adapter would make a tight fit even tighter. I'm curious to find out whether the user got that to work or not. Plus it seems like the exposed ribbon would be damaged in virtually no time flat.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:24 PM

I bought one of those adapters from deal extreme for a couple bucks. Haven't tried it yet. I doubt there is any way to fit the full sized SD card inside the e200. My idea was to put the e200 (or clip or fuze) into a surrounding larger enclosure like the proverbial altoids tin, with the SD card outside the player but inside the enclosure where it wouldn't get banged on.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftium View Post
If anyone reading this knows what thread that skip's talking about, help a brother out ...
Not sure if this is what he was reffering to, but a friend and forum mod no9 did it to his Clip + with a SD to MicroSD/TransFlash Card Converter Module and Andreas wrote about it in our news here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Thanks WalkGood. I was almost at the point of thinking I imagined that adapter. Both my memory and search skills weren't working that morning. The post I was half remembering was Andreas article.

I guess I forgot about it as it didn't seem practical at that time due to the cost of a large capacity card and the ridiculously long refresh times. I just picked up a 16 GB microsd from Amazon for around $35 and forgot about it.