Ultra Senior Member

Default Windows 7 Phone official:

Windows Phone 7 Series is official, and Microsoft is playing to win

C/O Engadget

Quote:
Windows Phone 7 Series is official, and Microsoft is playing to win

By Joshua Topolsky posted Feb 15th 2010 9:00AM
Breaking News

Windows Phone 7 Series. Get used to the name, because it's now a part of the smartphone vernacular... however verbose it may seem. Today Microsoft launches one of its most ambitious (if not most ambitious) projects: the rebranding of Windows Mobile. The company is introducing the new mobile OS at Mobile World Congress 2010, in Barcelona, and if the press is anything to be believed, this is just the beginning. The phone operating system does away with pretty much every scrap of previous mobile efforts from Microsoft, from the look and feel down to the underlying code -- everything is brand new. 7 Series has rebuilt Windows Mobile from the ground up, featuring a completely altered home screen and user interface experience, robust Xbox LIVE and Zune integration, and vastly new and improved social networking tools. Gone is the familiar Start screen, now replaced with "tiles" which scroll vertically and can be customized as quick launches, links to contacts, or self contained widgets. The look of the OS has also been radically upended, mirroring the Zune HD experience closely, replete with that large, iconic text for menus, and content transitions which elegantly (and dimensionally) slide a user into and out of different views. The OS is also heavily focused on social networking, providing integrated contact pages which show status updates from multiple services and allow fast jumps to richer cloud content (such as photo galleries). The Xbox integration will include LIVE games, avatars, and profiles, while the Zune end of things appears to be a carbon copy of the standalone device's features (including FM radio).

Besides just flipping the script on the brand, the company seems to be taking a much more vertical approach with hardware and user experience, dictating rigid specs for 7 Series devices (a specific CPU and speed, screen aspect ratio and resolution, memory, and even button configuration), and doing away with carrier or partner UI customizations such as Sense or TouchWiz. That's right -- there will be a single Windows Phone identity regardless of carrier or device brand. Those new phones will likely look similar at first, featuring a high res touchscreen, three front-facing buttons (back, start, and perhaps not shockingly, a Bing key), and little else.

Carrier partnerships are far and wide, including AT&T, Deutsche Telekom AG, Orange, SFR, Sprint, Telecom Italia, Telefónica, Telstra, T-Mobile USA, Verizon Wireless and Vodafone, while hardware partners include Dell, Garmin-Asus, HTC, HP, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba and Qualcomm. We're told that we likely won't get to see any third-party devices at MWC, though Microsoft is showing off dev units of unknown origin, and the first handsets are supposed to hit the market by the holidays of this year.

We had chance to go hands-on with a device before the announcement, and we've got some detail to share on just what the experience is like, so click here to read our hands-on impressions (with lots of pics and video on the way!).

Windows Phone 7 Series Interface

Windows Mobile 7

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

DAMMIT. you beated me to it
What are your thoughts on this TDS? Im betting this will only be available in the US, like the zune\ hd

Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Here's a 22min video demo of Windows Phone 7 on MSDN.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Everything I've read deals with the software...I wanna see specs. Plus, I'm sorry, but getting this would be getting in on the ground floor when Apple elevator is steadily climbing and Android isn't far behind. And seeing the way the apps are rolling out for the Zune HD, I don't think MS will ever catch up. I'm on the Android bandwagon...

Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 PM

@sumxetc There arent any specs yet because no devices have been made for it yet. Did you notice they were using an unmarked phone?I highly doubt any mobile phone company has finalized anything for it yet, as its only due for release at the end of this year. The only thing to go on at the moment, is that MS is requiring manufacturers to meet certain specs to run WP7, namely, GPS, touch screen, and accelerometer.
All this is mentioned in the video @aimran linked to.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouss View Post
DAMMIT. you beated me to it
What are your thoughts on this TDS? Im betting this will only be available in the US, like the zune\ hd
It will be global. While the Zune HD is US only, it's pretty much just a "portal" to the Zune software, which MS wants to make global and on numerous devices. We saw the start of this with the limited integration with the Xbox 360. Windows Mobile has been sold globally, no reason that Windows Phone should be any different. The misconception is that Windows Phone 7 IS the Zune software. It isn't. It does have Zune functionality integrated though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
Everything I've read deals with the software...I wanna see specs. Plus, I'm sorry, but getting this would be getting in on the ground floor when Apple elevator is steadily climbing and Android isn't far behind. And seeing the way the apps are rolling out for the Zune HD, I don't think MS will ever catch up. I'm on the Android bandwagon...
For hardware, it's using Tegra 2. Tegra 2 utilizes a dual-core Cortex A9 CPU (Iphone 3GS is single-core Cortex A8). The GPU elements of the Tegra 2 are based on the GeForce 9, scaled down of course. This means support for DirectX 10.0 on a scaled down platform (remember, Tegra APX was DX 9.0C).

I agree with you on Android though. I had high hopes for Windows Phone 7 series, given that my last two phones were WinMo 6.1 and 6.5. The fact that Windows Phone is locked down and doesn't support multi-tasking means that it's a Microsoft Iphone, with over 100k fewer apps.

As far as apps on the Zune HD vs. Windows Phone, MS has repeatedly stated that the Windows Phone app store will remain separate from the Zune HD apps. The Zune HD apps will be controlled as they are now, while the Windows Phone app store will be along the same lines as the Android and Iphone app stores. They will not be cross platform compatible. My guess based on this is that apps made for Windows Phone will not work on Zune HD, but apps made for Zune HD could possibly run on Windows Phone through the Zune software. Just a guess though.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I stand by my statement that it's a terrible move. Look at the iphone/touch. You make one app, and earn money from two different demographics. Why wouldn't a developer take advantage of that?

And yes, I realize that it was an unmarked phone and nothing is final. That's why i said i wanted to know what was coming in the way of hardware...

Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Is anyone aware of what language is being used to code for the apps?

Only I do computing, and in the summer I need a piece of coursework. Since I will be replacing my phone anyway, it seems smart to chose a smart phone and try writing my own program for it. Maemo doesn't look to be putting anything out other than some 4 inch Goliath (to go along with the fat N900), so it's going to be WiPho 7 or android that I try to develop for...

Old 02-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I stand by my statement that it's a terrible move. Look at the iphone/touch. You make one app, and earn money from two different demographics. Why wouldn't a developer take advantage of that?
I didn't say it was a smart move, I simply clarified that they're keeping the apps separate between Zune and Windows "Mobile." The Zune HD will only be able to play apps made for it, while Windows Mobile will be able to play apps made for WinMo, while potentially also playing Zune apps.

Quote:
And yes, I realize that it was an unmarked phone and nothing is final. That's why i said i wanted to know what was coming in the way of hardware...
All that's confirmed so far is Tegra 2, and that each manufacturer has to abide by a VERY strict set of rules regarding CPU, clock speed, screen resolution, etc. Some leeway will be given for the professional version.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebal View Post
Is anyone aware of what language is being used to code for the apps?

Only I do computing, and in the summer I need a piece of coursework. Since I will be replacing my phone anyway, it seems smart to chose a smart phone and try writing my own program for it. Maemo doesn't look to be putting anything out other than some 4 inch Goliath (to go along with the fat N900), so it's going to be WiPho 7 or android that I try to develop for...
Windows Phone 7 relies heavily on .NET and Silverlight. I'm guessing that's where you can start, but programming isn't my thing. I'm a hardware nut.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:27 PM

No multi-tasking?! Windows can do one

Old 02-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wonder if the things like app stores in Windows Mobile will be opened up to the Zune, since the Zune OS got opened up to Microsoft's phone department!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouss View Post
Wonder if the things like app stores in Windows Mobile will be opened up to the Zune, since the Zune OS got opened up to Microsoft's phone department!
In simpler terms: My computer can play NES games through emulation, but that doesn't mean my old NES can play my PC games. The hardware in Windows Phone is superior to that of the Zune HD, meaning app compatibility will generally only go in one direction.

Long winded explanation: Won't happen. While both the Zune HD and Windows Phone 7 are running off a kernel based on Windows CE 5.x, so is every version of Windows Mobile from 5 onward. Know what else uses parts of the Windows CE kernel? Some Sega Dreamcast games (using WinCE 2.x)! Care to try running those games on Zune or Windows Phone?

What I'm saying is that while the kernel can be the same, the underlying OS can still be very much different. The version of WinCE being used on the Zune HD is very much stripped down, just as the version used on Dreamcast was. It's done for a very narrow and specific purpose. The Dreamcast used WinCE for a few games, while the Zune uses it for media playback.

For Windows Mobile, the full suite of Windows CE is employed. This means that apps made specifically for Windows Phone 7 may or may not be easily ported to Zune HD. More than likely, Zune HD will remain a separate platform with the current closed app-store that it has. Windows Phone will be open to the new Windows app store, but I suspect that the Zune aspect of Windows Phone will allow it to play apps made for the Zune HD. It will be up to the developers to try to get their Windows Phone app over to the Zune Marketplace for use on the Zune HD.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:21 PM

let's hope they work on the interface.

I hope this is midori!! I hope they kill apple. kill. kill. kill. apple's domination over the market must end.

If this is also a nvidia tegra device I am sure gonna get one.

nvidia tegra+midori=WIN!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
let's hope they work on the interface.
I agree, it's a bit busy at times.

Quote:
I hope this is midori!! I hope they kill apple. kill. kill. kill. apple's domination over the market must end.
It's not Midori. That's a separate operating system that is a ways off, and is believed to be primarily for the enterprise/desktop market. Windows Phone 7 is still based off Windows CE 5.2, just like Windows Mobile 5.0, 6.0, 6.1, 6.5, and Zune HD are.

Quote:
If this is also a nvidia tegra device I am sure gonna get one.
Tegra 2 is the expected, but not officially confirmed, required chipset for Windows Phone 7.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 PM

awesome! Thanks for the info

Old 02-16-2010, 03:38 AM

The more competition in the touch screen smart phone market the better. I will keep an eye on this with interest.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 AM

I would actually like an interface on this phone to have the following criteria to make it worthwhile:

1) Crisp, clear graphics that can be read from a ways away->this is very important if the device will be used as a GPS mounted on the dashboard of a vehicle, the driver must be able to see it from the driver's seat very easily.

2)customizable look and feel->this is extremely important, becuase each user wants something different. This also makes the experienced optimised for each user. I, for example want a dark high contrast theme since it is easy on my sensitive eyes, I also want some eyecandy as well.

This interface pictured here is sharp, crisp, and legible, however there is very little to look at and it looks a tad boring. I suggest using graphical style from windows 7 to make it blend into the whole "7 experience" that MS made. That looks freindly, approachable, and still has a little eycandy but in a professional package. It looks much slicker and brings people into awe. The default interface pictured here kinda looks a little messy and doesnt bring you into it. it looks like the device can't do much. This kinda interface makes people take your device less seriously.

3) user exportable settings file for easy backup/recovery.

4)don't emphasise social networking as a main feature of the device becuase not all people use this and also if you do have this as a main feature, let the user be able to add the social networks of thier choice and NOT only facebook/myspace/twitter becuase I use multiple, I practically use everything but FB and twitter. I would like to be able to add, for example, gamerDNA or animeplanet or vampirefreaks or windows live, or livejournal, or blogspot stuff to my phone as well.

If they practice this they would gain a much more rich user experience.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:19 PM

I'm on the fence here. I applaud Microsoft for requiring certain minimum specs and I would KILL for Tegra 2 in my phone, but what's the point if its got no apps or multitasking? I truly despise locked down devices. I'm also not really a fan of the UI, it just looks strange to me. The Xperia X10 on the other hand, just looks downright sexy. It definitely looks cool, however, I seriously doubt its going to be the amazing gadget we all want it to be.

Also there's no chance in hell I'm putting up with Internet Explorer.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
there's no chance in hell I'm putting up with Internet Explorer.
Why do you care? On a portable device. there's no way you'll be viewing stuff that is that complicated, and even if you are, mobile browsers seem to have relatively little to do with their desktop counterparts. Safari mobile (what's on the itouch) is really not much better than ie mobile. Just be glad you're not getting the crap that's on the psp.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 AM

It's a matter of principle. I don't support IE at all for a number of reasons (primarily the laughable security, generally poor performance, and non-compliance with web standards), plus I've read more than a few articles that state IE mobile is slower than WebKit based ones.