android
Old 02-22-2010, 05:30 PM

ok, now i know what you are talking about. i actually didn't do this on purpose, in fact i didn't anything... this comes from the accelerometer being mounted on the board crooked, you are lucky in that yours is mounted so that you tilt the player towards you, mine is mounted such that i have to tilt it a few degrees away and to the right to get it level. i added calibration to the list of things to implement.

Last edited by cilmaviel; 02-22-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 PM

Thumb Up

Downloaded this last night, and I must say you did an incredible job. The only thing I would like to see added is a timer. The graphics are nice, and the levels show a lot of promise, so I'm wishing you good luck and I'll be watching this thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 PM

i updated the first post with a new version. the crashing should be a little better, it seems to crash less. i planed to add a timer but its hard to get an exact time in seconds so i though about adding a bonus score timer (you get more points for finishing faster and none if you take too long) rather than a count down timer. i thought this might also be less aggravating on harder levels like 4. does anyone have a preference for timer type?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilmaviel View Post
i updated the first post with a new version. the crashing should be a little better, it seems to crash less. i planed to add a timer but its hard to get an exact time in seconds so i though about adding a bonus score timer (you get more points for finishing faster and none if you take too long) rather than a count down timer. i thought this might also be less aggravating on harder levels like 4. does anyone have a preference for timer type?
I'm not sure if a timer is needed when you have the banana thingies for scores, you'll want to collect them all and run a higher chance of failing the more you try and take. But if any I think it'd be something like the "super mario" timer, which makes you score less the longer you take.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 AM

I downloaded your game yesterday and i think you did a real good job. Thanks. One more suggestion: Is it possible for you to make the ball behave more realistic? If you tilt the device it moves but when you bring it in balance it stops moving. A real ball wouldn't do so. And if you tilt the screen the ball moves with a certain speed but it does not accelerate. I think you know what I mean.
I don't know how much work it is to realize my suggestions but I believe that it will make this game even much better than it already is.

I'm looking forward for this game beeing developed

greetings

Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 AM

A suggestion for the ball drop in/out when you begin a level. Why not create a higher res pic of the ball which you use while "dropping" it, so it won't get as pixelated.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:09 PM
X-Fi2 App Master

I like HabHomes idea Also, when you complete a level, the ball grows bigger, this is unneccasary in my point of view. I don't know if anyone else would agree though...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsAccount View Post
I like HabHomes idea Also, when you complete a level, the ball grows bigger, this is unneccasary in my point of view. I don't know if anyone else would agree though...
The ball grows bigger? I never noticed that. The course get thinner and thinner, is that what you're getting at?

(Also, it's Habhome, not HabHome )

Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 PM
X-Fi2 App Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
The ball grows bigger? I never noticed that. The course get thinner and thinner, is that what you're getting at?

(Also, it's Habhome, not HabHome )
My bad Habhome, I'm just used the the format of RobertsAccount
I'm referring to the animation of the ball enlarging when a level is completed. I know I'm nit-picking a bit

Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
My bad Habhome, I'm just used the the format of RobertsAccount
I'm referring to the animation of the ball enlarging when a level is completed. I know I'm nit-picking a bit
I suspected you were used to that ^^

And now I see what you're referring too. And I do agree it looks odd for it to zoom in like that again. Perhaps make the goal area to look like a hole in the ground, and the ball disappearing down into it instead. Making it so that as soon as the center of the ball passes the outer line of the hole the ball automatically continues into the hole, just as a real ball would inevitably roll down in such a case.
That would then also explain why the ball on the next level come falling from the sky.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:37 PM
X-Fi2 App Master

Quote:
That would then also explain why the ball on the next level come falling from the sky.
What a fantabulous idea!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM

i planed to make a higher res ball for the animations i just didn't get to it so i used the reg one for testing. i was also going to make it show the monkey inside the ball, and if we can ever display a image at a rotation then draw the monkey in the game ball too. i made it get bigger at the end of the level and to try to simulate more a a 3d effect of the ball flying up, if it doesn't do that very well then i can take it out.

read the posts when i got done typing... i could make it get small too. all of the animations need to be tweaked.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:47 PM

How can I make my own levels?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:59 PM
X-Fi2 App Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeniwan View Post
As cilmaviel has said, tutorials will be made after the first official release

Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
i am working on some tutorials on how to make levels. but if you don't want to wait you can look at the .lua file for each level. i will be adding more functions for obstacles and such in the main.lua, for now any other code will have to be custom.

right now it is a bit lacking when it come to lvl creation but if you want to try then level4 is the best example. each level is basically its own game with main keeping track of score and stuff and it also has all the functions needed for level designing.

of the functions i have so far...
badarea() - takes 5 arguments first 4 are x then y limits and the last is an immunity... leave immunity 0
bananaarea() - takes 5 arguments, first 4 are x then y limits and the last is the banana number
goalarea() - just the 4 x and y limits of goal area.

if you use level 4 as a template just replace the code that is there with the new numbers that correspond to the background graphic that you have. most of making a level is just defining where you can go and making sure that the code matches the graphics. feedback on things about level creation would be appreciated too.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
As cilmaviel has said, tutorials will be made after the first official release
Is the official release soon?
I would like to play this game when it is finished and make my own levels.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cilmaviel View Post
i am working on some tutorials on how to make levels. but if you don't want to wait you can look at the .lua file for each level. i will be adding more functions for obstacles and such in the main.lua, for now any other code will have to be custom.

right now it is a bit lacking when it come to lvl creation but if you want to try then level4 is the best example. each level is basically its own game with main keeping track of score and stuff and it also has all the functions needed for level designing.

of the functions i have so far...
badarea() - takes 5 arguments first 4 are x then y limits and the last is an immunity... leave immunity 0
bananaarea() - takes 5 arguments, first 4 are x then y limits and the last is the banana number
goalarea() - just the 4 x and y limits of goal area.

if you use level 4 as a template just replace the code that is there with the new numbers that correspond to the background graphic that you have. most of making a level is just defining where you can go and making sure that the code matches the graphics. feedback on things about level creation would be appreciated too.
Thanks

Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Is the official release soon?
I would like to play this game when it is finished and make my own levels.
Be patient, keep in mind that these apps are coded by people during their free time. It is very hard to predict when one might find the time to work on a freelance project like this.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Be patient, keep in mind that these apps are coded by people during their free time. It is very hard to predict when one might find the time to work on a freelance project like this.
yes, patience grasshopper. but if you can't wait to make your own levels and want something more complex then what is implemented you will have to code the behavior yourself.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:00 AM

What do you think of this level?
I made it myself and it is my first custom level:
Attached Files
File Type: zip level5.zip (38.8 KB, 16 views)