android
Old 08-31-2011, 03:01 PM

Default I just got mine ! :D

I just got my X-Fi2,s o far so good.

I use OpenSuse Linux so I can't use the provided software but Linus sees the X-fi2 as just another pluged device and it's just a case of drag and drop the files for the music.

I had no trouble passing Mp3 files, loaded a few CDs using K3b to rip the tracks into mp3 files.

I also copied an avi file, a 1 hr movie, had trouble with the sound and it freezed a couple of times, but then, I just copied, didn't transformed or check its size (resolution).

So I have a question of best video format for the X-Fi2. reading here, most people mention that video should be 480 x 320 or 400 x 240 and the audio at 128 bbs.

Since the problem on the movie was the audio (sounds extremely low or didnt sound at all), what other specs should I pay attention to ? for the audio in the video files.

The thing I like the most about the X-Fi2 is the sound quality and that I don't have to buy a 'station dock' for external speakers, I used the computer sound system that includes a sub-woofer and it sounds just great!

Any tips on the sound format for the video files is welcome

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:26 AM

Glad you're enjoying the Zen X-Fi2. Good to hear from another KDE user, too!

Personally, I have used K3b to rip a few video DVDs (of concerts) using: XviD video codec; resolution of 480x272 (assuming the source was 16:9); MPEG-1 layer 3 audio codec at 128 bps; and AVI container. Those seem to play successfully on the Zen. (I made up those choices by noting the codecs used by the sample videos provided by Creative.)

For re-encoding existing video files, I quite like to use avidemux (a version is possiby in the standard SUSE repositories; I use Fedora). From memory, one file I produced had a sync problem, which was easy to fix using avidemux as well.

One can also use ffmpeg or mencoder at the command line, of course (but wading through all the options makes my brain hurt).

Old 09-17-2011, 11:53 PM

sorry for the late reply, been quite busy.

Will try the settings you mentioned, I did try different settings on as mall video but had some trouble with the video (images).

Old 09-25-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedto51 View Post
Glad you're enjoying the Zen X-Fi2. Good to hear from another KDE user, too!

Personally, I have used K3b to rip a few video DVDs (of concerts) using: XviD video codec; resolution of 480x272 (assuming the source was 16:9); MPEG-1 layer 3 audio codec at 128 bps; and AVI container. Those seem to play successfully on the Zen. (I made up those choices by noting the codecs used by the sample videos provided by Creative.)

For re-encoding existing video files, I quite like to use avidemux (a version is possiby in the standard SUSE repositories; I use Fedora). From memory, one file I produced had a sync problem, which was easy to fix using avidemux as well.

One can also use ffmpeg or mencoder at the command line, of course (but wading through all the options makes my brain hurt).
no luck so far, while the video is converted, the resulted AVI file has sync trouble but it's not the X-fi since I can see the problem playing the file on the computer so it's the encoding. I used avdemux v2.54, and mimic the setting on the videos that come witht eh x-fi: video: xvid, audio mp3.

Will try ffmpeg but any other option available ?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 AM

When you say "sync trouble" is that the sync between the audio and video? If so, you might well be able to fix it by using avidemux: adjust the "shift:" value under the audio options on the left-hand side.

Another thought is to run the file through mencoder to fix any errors with something like
Code:
mencoder -idx input.avi -ovc copy -oac copy -o output.avi
There is a GUI front-end for ffmpeg and mencoder which is available at http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...?content=67781 but I haven't used it myself.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedto51 View Post
When you say "sync trouble" is that the sync between the audio and video? If so, you might well be able to fix it by using avidemux: adjust the "shift:" value under the audio options on the left-hand side.

Another thought is to run the file through mencoder to fix any errors with something like
Code:
mencoder -idx input.avi -ovc copy -oac copy -o output.avi
There is a GUI front-end for ffmpeg and mencoder which is available at http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...?content=67781 but I haven't used it myself.
Thanks for the tip, will try it out.

The sync trouble is very peculiar...

Here's a description... have you seem old music videos where a guy put its hand over a old LP and moves its back and forth while it plays.. it's something similar to that, at some portions (never at the beginning, always after half of it), the video jumps ahead a few frames then returns and does it again, while that happens audio plays normal or stops at the jump just for that moment, on longer videos (30 mins+), after that same 'event', video can stop while audio still plays, then video fast forwards where audio is as if it tries to 'catch up' with the audio.

ok, will check your tips, I first try with a 5min music video before trying to do it with a longer video which takes much longer.