android
Old 02-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Help What are my chances to get a V1?

Hey guys,

I am planning on picking up an 8GB Refurbished Sandisk Sansa Fuze from Tigerdirect.ca. What are my chances that it will be a V1? (So I can Rockbox it )

Also, my friend has a50$ iTunes giftcard, if he buys songs, can he put them straight on the Fuze without converting?

~Cheers!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You'll get the same answer here that you got on Head-Fi,....you get what you get - it's the luck of the draw.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:25 AM

Thread moved with redirect to 'Sansa Fuze'.
Thread title (original 'Sandisk Sansa Fuze Questions') changed.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBoy View Post
Hey guys,

I am planning on picking up an 8GB Refurbished Sandisk Sansa Fuze from Tigerdirect.ca. What are my chances that it will be a V1? (So I can Rockbox it )

Also, my friend has a50$ iTunes giftcard, if he buys songs, can he put them straight on the Fuze without converting?

~Cheers!
better than average chance I think. I have purchased 2 refurbs from TD.ca and both have been v1's (e260 and e250). Even if you don't get a v1 you have 30 days to send it back. As far as using iTunes you have to first configure it to use .mp3 files because I think it defaults to the Apple .aac format. Then you can put the files on your Fuze.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:39 AM

IMO chances are much less with the larger GB players (ie 8gb), it's probably harder to find the large fuze vs the e200 series that oobergeek got.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just ordered a refurb Fuze, so wish me luck as well,............... I really want RockBox on the sucka'.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I just ordered a refurb Fuze, so wish me luck as well,............... I really want RockBox on the sucka'.
What size, who from and let us know, thanks ...

Old 03-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumb Down Sux to be me ATM,...........

I ordered from CompUSA, it's an 8gb Silver, and it's a friggin' V.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bummer!!!!!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I ordered from CompUSA, it's an 8gb Silver, and it's a friggin' V.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bummer!!!!!!!

wow!...just a sec....sorry....had to turn down the volume on my Rockboxed v1.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobergeek View Post
wow!...just a sec....sorry....had to turn down the volume on my Rockboxed v1.
Too bad your limited to just 1 player w/RockBox,.............. let me go check my stash for a fix while the RMA goes into effect.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I bet the good people in their white lab coats over at Rockbox, Inc. are already a large step farther in getting Rockbox running on the v2. Only a matter of time - if you decide to keep the Fuze for so long.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I bet the good people in their white lab coats over at Rockbox, Inc. are already a large step farther in getting Rockbox running on the v2. Only a matter of time - if you decide to keep the Fuze for so long.
If that's the case I might just keep it then. I mean, I do have an 8gb & 16gb microSD card for it, plus the SQ is good the way it is.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:59 PM

For what it's worth (probably not much), I got a v1 8Gb refurb from newegg for $45 from here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-131-_-Product

It's probably just luck of the draw, so good luck to anyone else looking for one.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 AM

I purchased three 4GB refurbished Fuzes from woot.com when they had them a couple of weeks ago for $29. I got one V1 and two V2. Doh! In previous Woots I've purchased four others, and got three V1 and one V2. So overall I've received four V1 and three V2.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 AM

"What are my chances to get a V1? " Fairly good I'd say, I have 2 that I might sell

Old 03-25-2010, 08:20 PM

I'm interested in buying!

(As so are so many others!!)

Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 AM

I just received another one I got at Woot (4GB, black). It is a V2, but, as far as I can tell it's brand new -- NO "refurb" burned into the rubber backing, and the player was still sealed in the clear plastic "envelope" deal -- and it was obvious that it had NEVER been opened (until I peeled up the tab and separated the adhesive holding it closed).

The previous one I got there a couple of months ago (same color/capacity) was a V1, and was also an apparently brand new (in plastic) player. The ones I got earlier all have "refurb" burned into the backing.

I don't know if these last two are factory overruns, or returns that were never opened, or if they've discontinued the line and this is how they're quietly unloading remaining product, or if there's some other explanation, but I'm not complaining. At these prices it's truly an amazing bargain.

And, with the Fuze, the V2 is NOT that bad a deal, even with Rockbox not yet available. The Fuze V2 hardware is IMO superior to the V1 -- it DOES play videos via the SD card without glitches (the V1 is so damn picky about cards as to render it pointless to try) -- and, thanks to video4fuze, it's trivially easy to transcode video content for the player. Gone is the painful nightmare of the SMC!

I consider the Fuze to the the apex of Sansa's players. I will be surprised if anything they come up with AFTER the Fuze is a truly better player. I think they're serious about that "value" vendor stuff, which as I perceive it means cutting cost rather than adding features and/or spiffiness.

The Fuze is truly elegant -- nearly as tiny as the Clip, with a better LCD than the e200, plenty of features, and a native firmware that IS usable without Rockbox. (Yes, Rockbox DOES go on my V1 Fuzen, but even without it, the players are VERY usable, which cannot really be said for the e200 series et al.) I expect that after it's no longer available at these prices, the "street price" will go up by quite a bit.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:17 AM

I'm a bit on the fence about mine. I've had it for a week or two (and it took a long time for me to get a 8gb v1). It's a great player but my strange ears actually still prefers the sound of my clip (which should sound identical but to me does not -_-;. Therefore I'm wondering if I should sell my V1 (if anyone is interested, let me know) and get a 8gb original clip...

Old 04-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Hello,

I just registered to tell you what I did.

Go on Ebay and search for Sansa Fuze.

Out of the results, start messaging the sellers and ask them to verify a v1 or v2 and explain how to check. If they want your business they'll be happy to comply.

When you get a confirmation of a V1, bid or buy. I got my first response in less than 3 hours and had won an auction in less than 24 hours this way. If it's contained in the official EBAY messaging system, you can return it if you don't get what you want because it's on official record.

Best thing is if you bid smartly, you probably won't pay anything even close to retail. Maybe 1/4 retail. I got free shipping to boot.

I also bought my wife one in the same manner - ROCKBOXED it as soon as it came out of the package.

And as far as Sansa products except for the old version clip, it doesn't matter what size internal memory you take because you just add a microSD and you can rock out with up to 16 gigs. 32 and 64 are coming soon.

ROCKBOX is full of win. Maybe some other ingredients like epic and a little leet, but mostly win.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 PM

Rockbox for the v2 is on its way to becoming useful, it shouldn't matter that much nowadays if it's a v1 or v2, only a matter of a little more patience: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

Tags
fuze, sandisk, sansa