android
Old 02-28-2010, 05:30 AM

Default S639 on Audiobooks

hi guys,

i just wanna ask how this DAP works when playing audiobooks? would you guys recommend this for listening to mp3 audiobooks? thanks guys!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-28-2010, 10:26 AM

None of the Sony models have bookmarks. The S639 does have podcast support though, which means if you put your audiobooks in the "Podcast" folder, the Walkman will remember the position of every track where you left off. Each individual track will have a "new" icon for tracks that haven't been listened to yet, so it's easy to remember which tracks have been listened to. A downside to podcasts on the S639 is that you can't continuously listen to multiple tracks. At the end of each podcast track you go back to the podcast menu where you have to select the next podcast that you want to play. This is annoying when you have short podcast/audiobook files, but if your audiobooks are ripped into long files it's not that big of deal.

If you put your audiobooks in the "Music" folder, the Walkman will only remember the last track played - so if you decide to listen to a music track in the middle of your book, it's up to you to figure out where you left off when you return to the book.

The S639 was last years model. If you can still find it, it is better for audiobooks than the current models. This years models (E340, E440, and S540) don't support podcasts so your audiobooks would have to be mixed in with your music files. The sound quality of last years and this years models are fantastic. Overall, there are better MP3 players out there for audiobooks, but the S639 is the best Sony model for audiobooks that I know of (I'm not familiar with the X series though).

Edit: The fast-forward and rewind speeds are kind of slow if you use them while playing a file, but if you pause playback then fast-forward/rewind, it is very fast.

Matt

Old 02-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned

The X does much the same thing. It's quite easy, I find, to put audiobooks in the Podcast folder and, as you say, it remembers the individual positions of each one.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:17 PM

thank you very much guys