android
Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 PM

Default [TOOL] LUAC Script Compiler

A LUA compiler written in LUA. This application will only work within the simulator, and it's only meant to.

LUAC gives you a list of the applications in your applications folder used by the simulator. Click on one and it will compile the MAIN.LUA script. It will create a backup named MAIN.BAK.LUA.

Updated to compile all LUA files in the selected application folder(Not sub-folders though, maybe later). Example: All lua files in C:\Creative\ZEN X-Fi2\Applications\MyGame\

Attached Files
File Type: zip LUAC.zip (6.2 KB, 295 views)
Tower Defense Thread
Zen Lock - Protect Your Zen!

Last edited by ThievingSix; 03-16-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-15-2010, 12:56 AM

Awesome tool, I can see this coming in handy.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:50 AM

Indeed. I wrote my own little script to do it after your instructions, but this one requires less work ^^
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 03-16-2010, 04:30 PM

Updated to compile all LUA files in the application folder(Not sub-folders though, maybe later).
Tower Defense Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:56 PM

After compiling a file, is it still possible to have it written to by another Lua file? (io.output)

Old 03-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThievingSix View Post
Updated to compile all LUA files in the application folder(Not sub-folders though, maybe later).
All LUA files? I don't think that's very good. I want to keep my codes uncompiled until I bundle them for release. Why not try and make you able to choose what app to compile the LUA files for?
And I also wonder like Tetrajak, if it compiles the "stat.lua" where I save stuff, will I be able to read and write to it?

Old 03-16-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrajak View Post
After compiling a file, is it still possible to have it written to by another Lua file? (io.output)
No, that's why it doesn't include sub-folders. I suppose you can use io.write(string.dump(loadstring(MyStatsInfo))), But you'd have to rewrite the whole file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
All LUA files? I don't think that's very good. I want to keep my codes uncompiled until I bundle them for release. Why not try and make you able to choose what app to compile the LUA files for?
I think you misunderstood. It compiles all lua files in a selected application folder. So if you have: "MAIN.LUA", "MYSCRIPT.LUA" in one application folder it will compile both of those. It doesn't compile every application. I'll update the first post to make it more clear.
Tower Defense Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThievingSix View Post
I think you misunderstood. It compiles all lua files in a selected application folder. So if you have: "MAIN.LUA", "MYSCRIPT.LUA" in one application folder it will compile both of those. It doesn't compile every application. I'll update the first post to make it more clear.
Aha, OK. Then I misunderstood. It's doing exactly what I'd want then ^^ thanks for clearing that up.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Does compiling scripts help to save memory? I have problem, that i am running out of memory in my app hypogeum.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 AM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

It only helps with startup, because the code will compile on runtime anyway.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:27 AM

It did help. Starting Hypogeum on player with scripts compiled doesn't crash the app.

I have 1 suggestion how to make LUAC more user friendly:
don't compile scripts to script.lua.COMP because if you have 20+ script you have to manually remane them back every time you compile them

- you could back em up to folder
- remane the backup rather then compiled scripts.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
It did help. Starting Hypogeum on player with scripts compiled doesn't crash the app.

don't compile scripts to script.lua.COMP because if you have 20+ script you have to manually remane them back every time you compile them

It looks like i stand corrected . You can compile your own code with this function:

Code:
function compile(file)  -- this function will compile a file
    old = string.dump(assert(loadfile(file)));
    CodeOutput = io.open(file,"wb");
    CodeOutput:write(old);
    io.close(CodeOutput);
    old = nil;
end

Old 08-23-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirius View Post

I modified the code for this app so that it renames the backup rather than the compiled file (doesn't put it in a folder still, seems as if there are no directory-creating IO functions in LUA...)
But, there is one flaw with doing it this way. If you compile the app twice, then it backs up your already compiled file, overwriting the uncompiled backup. That is why he did it the way he did I assume.

I will look into it a bit more to see if I can come up with a viable solution to prevent this from happening, I've got an idea...

Old 08-23-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I modified the code for this app so that it renames the backup rather than the compiled file (doesn't put it in a folder still, seems as if there are no directory-creating IO functions in LUA...)
http://keplerproject.github.com/luafilesystem/

It is a c module that you can use once compiled using the require function "require lfs"

then you can handle directories ( here is an example),
Code:
for file in lfs.dir[[C:\Program Files]] do
    if lfs.attributes(file,"mode") == "file" then print("found file, "..file)
    elseif lfs.attributes(file,"mode")== "directory" then print("found dir, "..file," containing:")
        for l in lfs.dir("C:\\Program Files\\"..file) do
             print("",l)
        end
    end
end
Keep in mind, dynamic libraries will only work on the adk

Old 08-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob182 View Post
http://keplerproject.github.com/luafilesystem/

It is a c module that you can use once compiled using the require function "require lfs"

then you can handle directories ( here is an example),
Code:
    elseif lfs.attributes(file,"mode")== "directory" then print("found dir, "..file," containing:")
             print("",l)
        end
    end
end
Keep in mind, dynamic libraries will only work on the adk
Can't get it to work with just having the files there, do I need to compile or build it myself using the source? Can't find some simple instructions how to make it work.

On another note, fixed the over-writing bug so now if I could just make these folders work then I can upload it...

Old 08-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Can't get it to work with just having the files there, do I need to compile or build it myself using the source? Can't find some simple instructions how to make it work.
You must compile it to a dll , if you want i could probably send a compiled version, ( I have been using c modules in my code for a while ).

The dll will be in the attachments of this post

extract the dll to the root folder of the lua code and use ' require "lfs" ' to load it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This dll was built for a specific setup using some other dll's so it will crash, i will resetup the dll and the package and uploaded it again soon

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Its all working now, i re uploaded the zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip Lua File System.zip (82.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by jbob182; 08-23-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Ah, thanks! I haven't used modules for LUA before, and I wasn't sure exactly what I'd need, and I wasn't sure how to compile it myself just right off the bat. I'm spoiled with Visual Studio and Eclipse... xD

Old 08-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Make sure you re download the zip, i changed the setup so it wont crash,

Sample code:

Code:
require "lfs"
             print("",l)
        end
    end
end

Last edited by jbob182; 08-23-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:43 PM

I made it work by downloading and including the missing .dll, but thanks for the fix. I found that reference already as well online. Now my only issue is that it creates the folder, but I can't write to it, it says it doesn't exist, can't figure out why... Guess I need to head to bed soon, it's getting late. Thanks for the help! I'll hopefully have it working by tomorrow.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I made it work by downloading and including the missing .dll, but thanks for the fix. I found that reference already as well online. Now my only issue is that it creates the folder, but I can't write to it, it says it doesn't exist, can't figure out why... Guess I need to head to bed soon, it's getting late. Thanks for the help! I'll hopefully have it working by tomorrow.
I can, here is the code i use:

Code:
require "lfs"
lfs.mkdir (lfs.currentdir () .. "/HelloWorldDir")
myfile = io.open("/HelloWorldDir/TextFile.txt","w+")
myfile:write("Hello World!")
io.close(myfile)
After testing around, you would only get that error if the dir didnt exist, so you must be missing this part :lfs.currentdir () ..

Last edited by jbob182; 08-23-2011 at 04:09 PM.