Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Default firmware problem - windows 7

I hope someone can assist me with this problem and get my Zen back in working order!

Several months ago, the hard drive on my 30 GB crashed. As a result, every time I turned it on, it would "rebuild" the library for a couple of minutes but after that I could listen to music. However, I lost all videos and pictures and some songs were gone. I could not add any new content but I wasn't willing to format it and lose what I had and start from scratch. This past week though I had enough and decided to try and restore it. I went into the Startup screen and formatted the system but I also foolishly deleted the Firmware, so now I have the "Firmware Problem". I loaded the Creative software as I thought that might help but it didn't.

It was at this point I tried to Google a solution, which pointed me to this site as well as others. I have read through numerous posts on this issue and I found that most recommended to use a PC with Windows XP and WMP 10. I did try on another PC with Win XP and Media Player 9, but when I connected the Zen to that computer, it was not recognized. Same issue with my current Windows 7 system.

I am currenlty running on Windows 7 with WMP 12. I have downloaded the current firmware update file from the Creative website. I cannot get the "Upgrade" button to be active when the player is connected. When I connect the player to my computer, the player says "Docked". When I go to the Firmware Update screen and then connect it, I don't get the docked message and hence I cannot update the firmware.

Please note that I have removed the Creative software as I read after the fact on this forum that I shouldn't have installed it in the first place! However, I really don't know what to do now and could use some help! Please advise!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]