android
Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Default HP laptop not recognizing sansa clip

I need help. I bought a refurbished sansa clip a few months ago. It has been working well. Last week, I noticed it wouldnt charge up on my computer usb. Now my computer is not even recognizing the clip. If i take it from my laptop to a desktop computer in the home, there is no problem. I did run a free windows registry repair lately. Any ideas about what is happening?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-12-2010, 06:14 PM

You're obviously using MTP transfer mode, which is bound to give everyone problems sooner or later. Switch to MSC mode in the Clip's system settings and all will be fine. The only annoyance is that you'd have to delete your music from the player first in MTP mode and upload it again in MSC mode.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:20 AM

I'm curious as to why charging should care about MSC or MTP mode.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
...and why it's obvious that they're using MTP mode...

Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmaye View Post
Because it doesn’t connect on the lap top and does on the home pc, thus the only deduction that it’s in mtp. Most issues are related to mtp mode or auto-select, which would possibly select mtp.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Because it doesn’t connect on the lap top and does on the home pc, thus the only deduction that it’s in mtp.....
'It worked on the desktop.
It didn't work on the laptop.
Therefore it must be MTP.'

MTP doesn't work on laptops? And what has the mode to do with charging?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Device Connection Protocols

Hey, there's no reason to throw out the baby with the bath water. You don't have to reload your music, or change modes, because the laptop has the digital equivalent of a stuffy nose.

The registry cleaning you mentioned is a hint. The system registry is the computer's internal cheat sheet, a database of maps and directions, telling the computer the needs and habits of any devices or programs that you wish to run. When you plug in a device, it identifies itself; using the internal coding of the device, the computer knows how to operate and communicate with it, based upon that first "handshake" with the device.

MTP mode, or Media Transfer Protocol, is a virtual mode supported by Windows Media Player 10 and later. It allows the PC to see the Sansa as a media player device rather than a simple flash drive, which is what happens when you switch to MSC, or Mass Storage Class, for communication.

There are a few goofy rules involved in the difference between the modes. MTP is necessary for Digital Rights Media (DRM) issues, as it allows the PC to access the Unique ID and secure clock of the device, tasks that take place unbeknownst to the listener, in the background. Files transferred in MTP mode cannot be seen from the computer while in MSC, and vice versa. The Sansa will see the files regardless of transfer mode.

MTP mode, in practical use, allows for some cool "perks". For example, while viewing the device using Windows Explorer, a simple right-click on a music track will provide you with a drag and drop option for quick playlist generation. Song ratings are synchronizable with the device if Windows Media Player is used, and album art will also automatically match your files, if you have it available on your computer. The player will also have the capability to handle protected media, like Rhapsody, Napster, Audible, Overdrive, and others.

Plug in the Clip and open a Windows Explorer window (My Computer). If you don't see the device listed, first have a look at the wee Clip's display: if it says "connected", it sees data on the USB bus.

Now here's the most interesting quirk of all, I must mention. It's device-specific, at least a characteristic of the Sansa. It will not charge the battery if continually trying to establish a USB connection. Let's try to fix that, eh?

Open the Device Manager while the Clip is still connected. Look for the yellow triangle of doom next to the Portable Device listing, or at the least, double click on this listing. The Clip should be there. Now for a little bold move: right click (or double click, as in Windows there are so many alternative routes), and select uninstall. Pretty simple, and the last thing you'd expect as a solution to a device we want to install.

Now, unplug the Clip. Give the PC thirty seconds or so to clear the registry entries regarding your Clip. Now, plug in again,and the PC will renew the connection for the device.

Let me know if it is successful.

Bob

Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61430 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
'It worked on the desktop.
It didn't work on the laptop.
Therefore it must be MTP.'

MTP doesn't work on laptops? And what has the mode to do with charging?
Do you have anything constructive to add, or are you going to continue bitching about my above post? I can't say I care much about that mocking tone of voice.

Maybe this time MTP isn't the culprit, and I have to admit I indeed did miss the charging part of the OP's post. Maybe it's just a faulty cable or a dead USB port in that case.

Either way, if you've got nothing to add other than to criticize my post in this stupid way, you better don't post at all.

Tags
sansa