android
Old 03-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Default Wav Files?

Does the X-Fi2 play Wav files? I recently put an album of Wav files on my X-Fi2 and it doesn't show up on my player but it shows up when it's plugged into my laptop.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-21-2010, 12:09 PM

For all I know it should handle .wav. Maybe there's something odd with your encoding so they're not the most common kinds of .wav?
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 03-21-2010, 12:23 PM
X-Fi2 App Master

It states on the X-Fi2 microsite that the player supports .WAV [IMA-ADPCM].

Old 03-21-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsAccount View Post
It states on the X-Fi2 microsite that the player supports .WAV [IMA-ADPCM].
Yes, but the ADK also says the wav files need to be at a rate of 44100Hz to be able to play in programs. Perhaps this is also true for all wav files on the player, not just those used through the Lua interpreter?

Old 03-21-2010, 12:57 PM

The properties states that it's a "Wave Sound (.wav)" file and the bit rate is 1411kbps. I don't know if it's a newer type of file or not.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:12 PM
X-Fi2 App Master

You could simply convert the .wav files into .mp3, which are bound to work on the player. But if you are insistent on the files being .wav format, then it seems you must change the bit rate to 44100Hz. To do this you must install Audacity.

INSTRUCTIONS:
- Install Audactity and open it.
- Open your .wav file.
- At the bottom left of the Audacity window you will see a drop-down menu entitled 'Project Rate (Hz)'
- Change that to 44100 using the drop-down menu.
- Go to File>Export and save as 'WAV, AIFF and other uncompressed types'

And you're done!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsAccount View Post
You could simply convert the .wav files into .mp3, which are bound to work on the player. But if you are insistent on the files being .wav format, then it seems you must change the bit rate to 44100Hz. To do this you must install Audacity.

INSTRUCTIONS:
- Install Audactity and open it.
- Open your .wav file.
- At the bottom left of the Audacity window you will see a drop-down menu entitled 'Project Rate (Hz)'
- Change that to 44100 using the drop-down menu.
- Go to File>Export and save as 'WAV, AIFF and other uncompressed types'

And you're done!
Thanks for your advice RobertsAccount.

I'm not insistent on them being .wav. I can change them to .mp3 with no problem but I just wanted to see if there was a marked improvemnt in sound

Old 03-21-2010, 01:31 PM
X-Fi2 App Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_burrows View Post
Thanks for your advice RobertsAccount.

I'm not insistent on them being .wav. I can change them to .mp3 with no problem but I just wanted to see if there was a marked improvemnt in sound
No problem! I believe that .wav's are slightly higher quality than MP3's, but they also comsume a LOT more space

Old 03-21-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_burrows View Post
Does the X-Fi2 play Wav files? I recently put an album of Wav files on my X-Fi2 and it doesn't show up on my player but it shows up when it's plugged into my laptop.
I also noticed that when I just got my X-Fi2 and tried to load the wave files on it that I used on my previous Zen players.
But I'm still not sure if this player doesn't support them, or that they are simply not listed in the library because a wave file doesn't have a tag..

This player does support IMA-ADPCM 16000Hz mono 64Kbps wave files when they are placed in the "recorded" folder. But IMA-ADPCM with its 4 bit (if I recall correctly) defeats the purpose of using wave files, which is high quality sound.

It seems to be able to play the "normal" 44.1Khz 16 bit stereo wave files, because it will play them when you use them in an application, but then the file can not be larger than 8 MB.

I'm a little disappointed about this, especially because older Zens were able to handle these files.