android
Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 AM

Default Sony S545 Music Folders

I have a lot of different artists that I create folders for in the Music Directory. I am trying to add a new folder for a new artist and when I create a folder, it's like it is overriding the last artist folder I created. Is there a folder limit or something?

I have 76 artists folders

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 AM

I actually have 87 sub Music Folders each with artists names, but I want to add another and when I click "Add New Folder" it over rides the most recent folder I did. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks alot

Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hi there...

I have the E Series 345 16GB, the sister/cousin of your S545 - they are essentially identical devices with the S545 having a few additional features, but otherwise functionally the same.

I currently have 233 artists in my S345, each with their own sub-folder name under MUSIC. Therefore, your issue should not be a limitation of the device and probably should not be happening.

However, I sync my Sony via MTP using Winamp on my XP systems. It sounds as if you are using the S device via MSC, correct? I just tried to add a new folder using WinXP and MSC - I did it with no problem and no folders were overwritten.

Not sure how to try and help you here...bumping this now so hopefully others can chime in.

But definitely AFAIK, this should not be happening to you.

cheers,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 PM

Thank you lestatar for your reply and help.

Forgive my ignorance but I wasn't sure what you meant by MTP or MSC

I go to My Computer, Walkman, Storage Media, Music, and these are where my folders are. I used to be able to right click in a blank area to add a new folder and name it the new artist. I would take the new music file and drag it into the folder to add to player. I would then drag the folder to Windows Media Player 11 and find the album cover art etc.

It was working fine until recently, when I would right click and it would "erase" the folder name of the last one I created. I would backspace on the toolbar and then go back and the newest folder name came back, but
what's weird is it even erased the music files, but it's still on the player itself. A folder called "New Folder" appears alphabetically between M and N.

OK I did somthing different. I made a new folder on my desktop and put the files in there first instead of the player. I dragged to Windows Media Player 11 and then synced it to my player. Now the folder is there.

Does this make any sense? I'm sorry for rambling

Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevant1965 View Post
Thank you lestatar for your reply and help.

Forgive my ignorance but I wasn't sure what you meant by MTP or MSC

I go to My Computer, Walkman, Storage Media, Music, and these are where my folders are. I used to be able to right click in a blank area to add a new folder and name it the new artist. I would take the new music file and drag it into the folder to add to player. I would then drag the folder to Windows Media Player 11 and find the album cover art etc.

It was working fine until recently, when I would right click and it would "erase" the folder name of the last one I created. I would backspace on the toolbar and then go back and the newest folder name came back, but
what's weird is it even erased the music files, but it's still on the player itself. A folder called "New Folder" appears alphabetically between M and N.

OK I did somthing different. I made a new folder on my desktop and put the files in there first instead of the player. I dragged to Windows Media Player 11 and then synced it to my player. Now the folder is there.

Does this make any sense? I'm sorry for rambling
Hi there! No worries about rambling - IMO, when one needs help with technology issues, I always find that more info is better than not enough. And please, do not apologize for any "ignorance" on your part...Totally unnecessary - we all start at the same zero level of knowledge!

Some basic background since you sort of asked:

MTP = Media Transfer Protocol = basically a way for Win computers to allow applications to send info/copy files/delete/etc. on portable devices like mp3 players. When you use Windows Media Player [WMP] to transfer/sync files to your device, you are using the MTP protocol.

MSC = Mass Storage Compliant = a general description of devices like USB Hard Disk Drives, USB Flash Drives, some mp3 players, etc...which, among other things, allows for easy drag and drop via Windows Explorer, My Computer, etc.

EDIT: The above distinction between MTP and MSC is not 100% accurate, but I think serves the purpose of this discussion fairly.

What you have been doing seems to be MSC - where you access the device from Windows Explorer/My Computer and create a new folder just as you would on your computer.

Both techniques have pros and cons - there is no real "best" way IMO...quite frankly, the best way is whatever works for you!

I do not use WMP to manage my mp3 players ever - I avoid it as much as possible because I dislike the application. But it does seem to me that you may actually be taking an extra step by manually creating a new artist folder and then dragging your music to it on the device. Since I do not use WMP, I cannot be sure, but I am pretty positive that if you use WMP to sync your music , then the proper artist folder will be created automatically provided your music is properly tagged.

In any event, I do not intend to further confuse you - as I said, if you have found a way that works, just stick with it and enjoy your music!

If you do want to learn more about MTP vs MSC read here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...ol-rundown.php

And if you ever want to use/try another application to manage both your music collection on your PC and also to manage your Sony device, read this:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...re-roundup.php

But if it ain't broke, no reason to try and fix it, especially if it works for you...

cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 03-24-2010 at 01:04 AM.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevant1965 View Post
Perhaps you should try reinstalling the MTP driver, see if that fixes your problem, if not go back to MSC.

I haven't ever had any issues creating folder directories on my S-545 (and I've configured as as Mass Storage Device), but then again I just prefer to create mixed folders rather than Artist>Album>Song sub-directories.

EDIT: I just tested out creating 150 folders in the music directory and had no issues.

Last edited by Amar89; 05-05-2010 at 10:29 AM.