android
Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 AM

Default rockbox crash frequently on my clip zip

First of all, I'm sorry for my aweful english.
I flashed r31247 on my clip zip. Some issues bother me a lot.
1. FLAC format not supported well. When I play a flac file, it pauses frequently for a very short time on both left and right channel. Sounds like earphone plug was poor contacted.
2. When I play a APE file, it may stop in a place. Meanwhile I can exit to the main menu, but after selecting a music file, it prompted "Opening file" forever. I have to press the power button for 15 seconds to shut it down. It's weired that this crash happens at least one time, when I playing MP3 files.
I got clip zip the day before yesterday and haven't fully tested it yet. I'll appologize if someone asked the same question before.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Honestly, that sounds like you got a dud with flash memory or RAM issues. Do a binary comparison of files on the player to the original ones (e.g. with fc /b or Total Commander's sync). I'd guess they are not identical.

Just to be sure, run Memtest86+ on your computer, too. I've seen so many older RAM sticks with issues lately it's not even funny. (In an Athlon XP machine, both DDR333 sticks had one bad bit each, and out of my 4 spare DDR sticks, another one also had one. Plus a while back I lost a nominally good-quality Infineon SDRAM stick to bit errors. Not to mention the two Samsung DDR2 sticks that developed massive problems, possibly due to cracked solder joints as they used BGA chips.)

Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM

I don't think there's problem about the TF card or ram. By OF, I can play FLAC and mp3 on my TF card perfectly.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:10 PM

I changed rockbox to dfkt's patched build, flac playing issue solved perfectly! Crash issue still exist. I changed Lexar TF to Sandisk, it crashs as well.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Looks like there was some work done today with FLAC. Maybe that's what cleared up that issue. Is the crash you mention while playing APE files? Or something else? The more detail you can give on the crash circumstances the more likely someone like saratoga can help.

Last edited by skip252; 12-14-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 PM

At least 70% of my music files are ape format. I first noticed the crash when I was playing them. Later, it seems happens with no regulation. Crash also occured when I playing mp3, wma files. Sometimes clip zip lost reaction completely, sometimes it just stop playing, but you can shut it down by 3 second press of power button.
Well, how about you guys' Rockbox, is it stable?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:01 PM

I'm playing .ogg, 32GB card, 5800 files, using the file browser, custom-ish WPS, no dircache. It's been as stable as a, uh, rock.

The USB connection however is unstable (for the time being).

Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 AM

Maybe I found the reason of crash. My Lexar 16g C6 TF card (made in Korean, max write 12m/s max read 18m/s) is not completely compatible with clip zip(or rockbox?). This afternoon, I replaced it with a Sandisk 8G C4 TF card, which is used in my cellphone. Till now it works just fine. It'll take me whole night to testify it. It's pity that I can't use the card I bought for clip zip. However, OF is compatible with Lexar TF card. I really hope developers can improve RB to make it more perfect.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanzc View Post
At least 70% of my music files are ape format.
You should maybe consider converting those to FLAC. APE is extremely processor intensive and drains the battery like nothing else. FLAC compresses almost as good, is much easier on the hardware, and generally a much more modern codec with better features: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....mparison_Table

Old 12-15-2011, 04:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Any time I come across APE files the first thing I do is convert them to FLAC.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 PM

Since I changed the card, no crash any more. I really want to use the new card, which is pretty fast to transfer songs.
I got you guys, I'll convert APE files to FLAC.