android
Old 03-24-2010, 06:50 AM

Default anyone with A845/6/or7 - some help please!

I see a few folks round here have now got their hands on the new A84*...

I picked up an 846 the day it came out as i happened to be in Japan at the time, but since then i haven't used it!

My issue is that i can not - no how no way - get playlists on to this thing!

It only appears to have MSC mode, so without MTP, playlist transfer seems 'impossible' (?!)

If anyone with an 84* can tell me how to get playlists to work, I'd really appreciate it.... (or anyone else who understands the weirdness of MSC and Sony)...

thanks in advance...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Default driver change

heya

I'm gonna assume you're on a windows machine. So in order to connect the walkman as MTP, you need to load the MTP driver instead of the MSC/UMS driver. Heres how you do it

plug in your walkman via usb to your computer

Go to device manager
In windows 7/vista, just right click on my computer=>properties=>device manager
In XP you access it through control panel=>system I think

scroll down and find the walkman under Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Right click on it, and select update driver software

select browse my computer for driver software

select let me pick from a list....

Now you should see two drivers, the MTP and the UMS driver. Select the MTP one and click next

That should do the trick. Unplug and replug your walkman and it should load up as MTP and you can create playlist through windows media player or media monkey or whatever flavor of starburst you like

Or, I really like using this program
http://code.google.com/p/walkmanmtp/

Hope that helps

Oh yeah, and if you ever want to switch it back to UMS/MSC, just do the same thing but now the walkman is under portable devices in the device manager instead of USB devices

Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 PM

tonysunshine - i certainly appreciate the feedback -- but i've tried both of these solutions before and, no dice...

trying to update the driver/change it to MTP in the way you describe doesn't work - there is no MTP option offered, and the info on the player describes it as; <Storage type="MSD" - there is no menu option on the player to change it to MTP either - the apparent lack of support for MTP seems to be at the heart of the issue...

And the WalkmanMTP prog. doesn't seem to work either - i don't think it's compatible with later Walkmans...

It is possible to get playlists on to it, but only by using SonicStage - which is not a viable solution for me...

if you have any other ideas, i'll certainly try them out... how do i get this thing to be 'MTP' compatible?!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:56 PM

due to the fact that the player was bought in japan, it behaves in a different way to players bought in the west, basically it still relies on sonicstage. as far as im aware, there are no methods to make it mtp, and so compatible with wmp, winamp, mediamonkey etc. hopefully some other users can help out and share there thoughts?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:26 PM

Hey fugusushi

yeah sorry. After doing some more reading around I think the japanese ones only support sonicstage interfacing and nothing else. I got my a846 from hong kong with english menus and it works just like my old A729 - MTP, UMS, media monkey and the works. The Walkman MTP program works fine with my a846, but it does use MTP which is probably why it doesn't work with yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugusushi View Post
tonysunshine - i certainly appreciate the feedback -- but i've tried both of these solutions before and, no dice...

trying to update the driver/change it to MTP in the way you describe doesn't work - there is no MTP option offered, and the info on the player describes it as; <Storage type="MSD" - there is no menu option on the player to change it to MTP either - the apparent lack of support for MTP seems to be at the heart of the issue...

And the WalkmanMTP prog. doesn't seem to work either - i don't think it's compatible with later Walkmans...

It is possible to get playlists on to it, but only by using SonicStage - which is not a viable solution for me...

if you have any other ideas, i'll certainly try them out... how do i get this thing to be 'MTP' compatible?!