android
Old 04-02-2016, 01:47 PM

Default ROckboxed CLip+ not recognised by Windows 10

HI,
anyone had similar issues? i got a few musical bleeps and bloops and then a "device descriptor request" fail, at which point Device Manager locked and i had to hard reset.

TIA

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Administrator

No ongoing problems here with USB connections with a Rockboxed Clip+ and Win 10. The initial connection failed and the Clip+ locked up until I held the power button for about 30 seconds to reset it. That may have been because the player was turned off when I first tried to connect. On the next attempt the player was powered on, connected without issue and the drivers installed within a few seconds.

You don't say which build you have installed. If it isn't a current development build I would update to one. I'd also try having the player turned on when you attempt to connect.

If none of that works I'd post the details in the Rockbox forums. If I understand correctly there's been some work done recently involving USB. Your report may help fix an issue someone is having I'm not.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:12 AM

thanks for the reply.
v3.13 Rockbox, just tried pluggin in switched on, same result :-(
tried it on my Win7 machine, no probs.
i'll have a post on the Rockbox forums.
cheers

Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Administrator

I think you misunderstood what I meant by a current development build. The Release build 3.13 is marked as stable but is ancient and I can't recommend it's use as a daily driver. There have been significant improvements in the 3 years since it was released.

A build that old isn't really supported anymore. Reporting problems with 3.13 will have the Rockbox developers tell you to update to the current dev build and check if that solves your problem.

Before reporting in the Rockbox forum I'd update to the current development build. Those are here http://build.rockbox.org/. The improvements to battery life, playlist function using the external memory, USB connectivity and the database make updating worth the minimal effort of an update.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:30 AM

yeah, thanks; someone on the Rockbox forum suggested the same. got the Utility downloaded and tried it, but it failed as it couldn't get a mountpoint, which appears to be a drive letter thing, which it can't get cos the machine won't accept the player - bit of a Catch-22 then! i'll update it on the Win7 machine, hopefully tonight, and try again on Win10 later.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Rockbox is much more versatile than you know if you think a little thing like it not being able to connect to a certain OS stops you from updating. Part of that versatility is being able to deal with the type problem you have now.

Booting to the OF is one way to deal with USB connection problems. Boot to the sandisk firmware, put the player into MSC mode and drag and drop a copy of copy of the development build in from there.

Another is to use a card reader to put a copy of build on a memory card. Then use the context menu to copy the new build into the root of the player. Rockbox won't overwrite an existing directory so I'd use the context menu to create a directory and move the build it's using now into there. Rockbox stops looking once it finds the first .rockbox folder so it doesn't see the one inside the directory and use the current dev build you've placed in the root of the player.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:14 PM

:-D
i fired it up on the W7 anyways, got updated, all works good now, so ta for the advice.
when i plugged in the W10 machine found it instantly and came up "there's a fault on the drive, scan to fix it", so i clicked ok, it came up "faults faound, click to repair (recommended)", so i did ~ it had a bit think and finally said "disck scanned, no faults found" :-|
oh well.

cheers