android
Old 05-16-2015, 06:53 PM

Default Committing Database Interferes With USB Mounting

Hi,

Every time my player is powered on I see "Committing Database [x/9]", where x is a number between 1-9. When Rockbox finishes counting to 9, the main menu appears and everything appears to work as expected. The database part I get, as that has something to do with parsing the files on the card. But, because this happens every time the player is powered on, it never seems to finish.

I've read that a key feature of Rockbox is having the database update in the background. Apparently, this is not done in the background. So much so, that this counting delay interferes and produces a Windows USB error when mounting the player in Windows. Of course, the solution there is to power on the player first, let Rockbox finish counting before connecting to the computer's USB port. But, that use to be not necessary.

I've read a lot of posts from people having the player get stuck before finishing the 9 count, so I feel fortunate that is not happening. I have not read exactly why this is not done in the background or how to stop it interfering with connecting to the computer. The first place I looked was the owners manual, but the word "committing" doesn't even appear anywhere in the text.

What is "Committing Database" and is it possible to have Rockbox finally commit what it's doing to stop interfering with mounting the player?

8GB Sansa Clip Zip (v01.01.21A + Rockbox)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

USB not working when plugged in during boot isn't related to the database. Its due to the bootloader USB code breaking something in the release bootloader. The current git bootloader has a workaround, but its not released yet.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:25 PM

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I will continue to boot the player first before connecting the player to the computer.

The "Committing Database [x/9]" seems to have stopped appearing at boot.

8GB Sansa Clip Zip (v01.01.21A + Rockbox)