android
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I think the "temp brick" issue is just a "people who don't know you can reboot your player [...]
I couldn't reboot normally last time. The only way that worked was a bit far from obvious for me (~10 sec h+p). While I agree it could be my shortcoming, in my humble opinion the overall problem here is not the users.

Boosting does decrease the number of freezes significantly (had only 2 crashes), but unfortunately one cannot save this setting permanently to the config afaik.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zozzul View Post
The only way that worked was a bit far from obvious for me (~10 sec h+p).
AFAIK that is the normal way to force a reboot on all Sandisk players, at least back to the e200v1. I used to use it to get out of the database referesh screen on mine.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Rockbox Developer

I believe what's happening here is that the player actually resets with the long pwr press. On reboot it doesn't really hang but the screen stays dark so it appears the long pwr press was ineffective. After 2-3 mins of inactivity the player shuts itself off and when you press pwr again it "magically" boots just fine. With this in mind I would suggest trying a second long pwr press if the first seems not to work. I've done this more than 10 times and it has worked each time. Good Luck. And tell me if I'm wrong!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:34 PM

Yep mine has done it a dozen times, always comes back after a few min.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 05-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynDice View Post
I believe what's happening here is that the player actually resets with the long pwr press. On reboot it doesn't really hang but the screen stays dark so it appears the long pwr press was ineffective. After 2-3 mins of inactivity the player shuts itself off and when you press pwr again it "magically" boots just fine. With this in mind I would suggest trying a second long pwr press if the first seems not to work. I've done this more than 10 times and it has worked each time. Good Luck. And tell me if I'm wrong!
So the hardware reset doesn't always work? I haven't observed this on any crash with my clip, but maybe I've just lucky.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:31 AM

saratoga: No, the "temporary" brick is not solved by just holding down the power button, hence I used that term. Maybe that was a bit unlucky because it seems to unsettle people. Don't worry: I called it "temporary brick" because it really is a temporary phenomenon.

My observations confirm what funman wrote but I can't check it anymore because since using build r25814 I never had this issue again.

I'd strongly advise everyone to update to >= r25814. The first write-enabled build r25799 ran very unstable on my Clip (for whatever reason), including the "temporary brick" issue. However, r25814 runs just fine

Last edited by Timar; 05-07-2010 at 01:41 AM.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:54 AM

Hmm, is this problem fairly widespread on the latest version? I only got my Clip + yesterday, I might wait for the next version to install it to be safe.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:56 AM

Indeed, I can confirm that the "temporary brick" issue was not solved by a hard power-off. It was the first thing I tried.

I will give one of the newer builds a go and see if I still experience the bug.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timar View Post
I'd strongly advise everyone to update to >= r25814. The first write-enabled build r25799 ran very unstable on my Clip (for whatever reason), including the "temporary brick" issue. However, r25814 runs just fine
version r25814 works fine for me too.

Regarding stability, I have not had it crash during playback of a collection of MP3 VBR & CBR files spread out between the main memory and microSD card.

I have had it crash multiple times while in the Sound Settings/Graphical EQ screen - all of these crashes have been "soft", like an exception being thrown. The clip+ easily can be restarted after these crashes.
In the meantime, just avoid using that screen; instead use the "advanced EQ settings" submenus to adjust all the parameters of the EQ.

First time rockbox user here, also first time portable-music-player user.
Rockbox addresses my disappointments with Sansa's software that caused me to avoid using the clip+ much:
smaller fonts available; allows more text lines to appear on screen.
fully configurable parametric equalizer.
the minimum output volume is now truly minimal

Thanks to all those who posted instructions and the necessary files.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion View Post
never thought i'd say this but my RB'd clip+ sounds better than my Sony .
What are your EQ settings? I have the Sony X1060 and it would be great to get the same (if not better) sound on my Rockboxed Clip+

Art

Old 05-07-2010, 07:33 AM

The EQ settings would depends too much on what earphones you're using and his EQ setting won't sound the same for you. It is true however that the EQ is really good, it was the only EQ I tried that managed to cancel out the Sennheiser IE8 midbass hump.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
What are your EQ settings? I have the Sony X1060 and it would be great to get the same (if not better) sound on my Rockboxed Clip+
You can't just copy EQ settings from another person. If a setting sounds good to you depends mostly on the headphones you use, your personal preference, and other factors.

The Sony players "cheat" by default. They don't provide a flat frequency response with all sound effects turned off, but rather are slightly loudness-curve shape to sound more "pleasing".

Old 05-07-2010, 01:22 PM

I think someone else mentioned this, but is anyone feeling like the Clip+ is a bit low in volume with the newest, write-enabled rockbox builds?

I know all of our headphones are different, but I've tried my UM3X's with my rockboxed Fuze, Clip v1 and Clip+ and hands down, the Clip+ is much quieter at the same volume and EQ settings.

Interestingly as well, the Clip+ seems to have a harder time powering the UM3X's than the other two players as well. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Old 05-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaneu View Post
I think someone else mentioned this, but is anyone feeling like the Clip+ is a bit low in volume with the newest, write-enabled rockbox builds?

I know all of our headphones are different, but I've tried my UM3X's with my rockboxed Fuze, Clip v1 and Clip+ and hands down, the Clip+ is much quieter at the same volume and EQ settings.

Interestingly as well, the Clip+ seems to have a harder time powering the UM3X's than the other two players as well. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?
I can definitely confirm this. Latest Rockbox firmware (which btw is indeed "temp brick"-free as far as I can tell for now) is far quieter at maximum volume with all EQ and RG (etc) off than the OF.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:51 PM

here i go being dumb again,

but when there is a new build, where is it that you put that?

Old 05-07-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
I can definitely confirm this. Latest Rockbox firmware (which btw is indeed "temp brick"-free as far as I can tell for now) is far quieter at maximum volume with all EQ and RG (etc) off than the OF.
Since I didn't install rockbox on my Clip+ prior to write support, I am wondering if it's always been this way, or if the volume difference is new?

In my comparisons I am trying to compare rockbox to rockbox, not rockbox to OF.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLipster View Post
here i go being dumb again,

but when there is a new build, where is it that you put that?
Just extract the zip into the root of the player - which creates the .rockbox folder

Old 05-07-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallanthony View Post
Just extract the zip into the root of the player - which creates the .rockbox folder
But with each new build, do you put that in the rockbox folder then? assuming that it is a stable build or a build i want to try?

Old 05-07-2010, 03:10 PM

if you can't be bothered to read the manual, you shouldn't be using rockbox. it's very detailed and covers all these questions.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:11 PM

i guess i better do some reading then. Thanks.