android
Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 AM

Just taken my first dip into Rockbox waters (thanks Dfkt for the file on mediafire) - I thought the Clip was excellent before, now its just fantastic!!!

Now just got to become familiar with all the buttons for Rockbox - I thought my ears weren't that good before but Rockbox proves my ears aren't as old and decrepit as I thought - think I'll keep them for a while yet

Now just want a 16/32GB card - more expense - damned Rockbox

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Just checking - none of you are hearing any distortions with that volume level?
At max volume i don't get any distortion, and I'm running battery bench and it's still rock solid stable.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Just checking - none of you are hearing any distortions with that volume level?
I am definitely not hearing anything bad. I've been putting the build through the paces of lots of challenging music on UM3X's and so far so good! More power hungry phones might encourage distortion if the internal amp is being overdriven but from where I am sitting things sound great!

Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM

I've a compatibility problem with rockbox and ubuntu, i've last.fm logging enabled on the player but the srcobbler.log file never seems to show up in ubuntu, but it does show up in windows (7). It's connected through MSC mode on both OS's.
Can anyone tell me the reason why it might not be showing up?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:02 PM

it's a hidden file in linux (begins with a . ) - just enable hidden files (edit>preferences - i think )

Old 05-17-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
it's a hidden file in linux (begins with a . ) - just enable hidden files (edit>preferences - i think )
Ahh... Great! I could of sworn that i had hidden files enabled already!
(ctrl+h shows hidden files now btw)

Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
i can confirm this. it's r26028 that introduced the problem. 26027 is fine.

the patch looks to be SD card related but i don't even have one being a clip v2 user???
I had the same error on my Fuse v2 without an SD card. Using 26125 now and it works fine. What was weird is that it only seemed to be problematic with certain mp3s of mine, yet they worked fine on my rockboxed mini. Anyways, it seems fine with the new version, though I didn't notice anything in the change log related to it.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:01 PM

The only problem I see with the Clip (V2) and current builds of RB is the artefacts in the background. The Clip hisses less than the Fuze (thankfully), but has a constant clicking and whirring sound in the background, even when the screen is off. These sounds don't show up with OF.

apart from that, my Clip is finally usable.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
The only problem I see with the Clip (V2) and current builds of RB is the artefacts in the background. The Clip hisses less than the Fuze (thankfully), but has a constant clicking and whirring sound in the background, even when the screen is off. These sounds don't show up with OF.
The artifacts are my main issue with RB at the moment. Other than that, everything seems to be in order, or at least not crashing

Old 05-18-2010, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

apart from that, my Clip is finally usable.
Interesting. I definitely notice a lot of whirring etc. during navigation, but when I play files it disappears immediately. Actually this is the first player I have had that doesn't add a bunch of bubbly noise to the quietest of classical flac files. My Clip v1 and Fuze v1 definitely do that, sadly. The Fuze is the punchiest of the 3 players unamped, but rockboxed Clip+ is the most noiseless during playback. I can live with the nav and menu noise.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:56 AM

Apologies for my ignorance, but does RB Clip+ work with Apple Mac (OSX 10.4 Tiger)?

Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaski View Post
Apologies for my ignorance, but does RB Clip+ work with Apple Mac (OSX 10.4 Tiger)?
At the moment, RB does not yet support USB transfer for the Clip+. This means that the files will be sent over using the OF. If the OF worked fine for you with your Mac so far installing RB will not change this.

You should be aware that Finder creates a lot of rubbish files on FAT32 devices though. There is some software which lets you deal with this problem. I know Kopymac is one but apparently it lacks support for Intel Macs. You need to ask someone who is a Mac user about this.

Nevertheless, in terms of just transferring files over USB, RB doesnt support that yet anyway, so it'll just go through the OF.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
You should be aware that Finder creates a lot of rubbish files on FAT32 devices though. There is some software which lets you deal with this problem.
Rockbox has a utility built in to remove OSX, Windows, and Linux junk files from the player's memory: Plugins > Applications > Disktidy

Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Rockbox has a utility built in to remove OSX, Windows, and Linux junk files from the player's memory: Plugins > Applications > Disktidy
Rockbox rocks, period!

(the definitive reason)

Old 05-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitreas View Post
This means that the files will be sent over using the OF. If the OF worked fine for you with your Mac so far installing RB will not change this.
Excuse my ignorance again, but what is OF?

(Currently I drop&drag via KopyMac and USB cable to my Clip)

Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 PM

"Original Firmware", from Sandisk.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:17 PM

I was just testing the artifact and "whirling" complaints, with dfkt's modded build i hear it faintly when browsing the firmware but when playing it doesn't happen for me.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 05-18-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
I was just testing the artifact and "whirling" complaints, with dfkt's modded build i hear it faintly when browsing the firmware but when playing it doesn't happen for me.
Same here. I don't think there's much if anything to be done about it, and as long as it's not present during playback I think it's a non-issue.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:02 AM

Just to clarify: I have the OF and RB both on my Clip. I use OF for transferring stuff from my Mac to the Clip. I use RB to listen and do all other stuff.
Thanks.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaski View Post
Just to clarify: I have the OF and RB both on my Clip. I use OF for transferring stuff from my Mac to the Clip. I use RB to listen and do all other stuff.
Thanks.
That's right!