android
Old 06-02-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
Use RBUtil: http://www.rockbox.org/download/

or do it manually, check this page: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaAMS

Check the first post of this thread as well

EDIT: Don't hate asking what seems to be obvious to everyone else, because one thing is always obvious to someone!
Yeah, I've seen those pages before, but it didn't make a lot of sense to me. I know the downloads are on the first page, but clear instructions aren't. The last post of the first page says to use the .rockbox, and the .bin to the root, but I was unclear about the bootloaderclipplus file. Sorry again for being such a newb. Funny thing is, I've written several upgrade tutorials for mp4 players I translated from Chinese, but I can't understand the English manual, lol.

Amp: PA2V2, Fiio E3, FiiO E7, FiiO E5, FiiO E11, FiiO E6, FiiO E10

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-02-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Viking View Post
Yeah, I've seen those pages before, but it didn't make a lot of sense to me. I know the downloads are on the first page, but clear instructions aren't. The last post of the first page says to use the .rockbox, and the .bin to the root, but I was unclear about the bootloaderclipplus file. Sorry again for being such a newb. Funny thing is, I've written several upgrade tutorials for mp4 players I translated from Chinese, but I can't understand the English manual, lol.
With RBUtil, everything is easy, just plug your Clip+ and run RBUtil, you'll see. If you want to install it manually, read that (taken from the second link I posted):

Quote:
Clip + Linux & Mac OSX
  • Make sure your player is in MSC mode.
  • Download and Extract the normal build (rockbox.zip) onto your device.
  • Create a folder 'rbinstall' in your home directory (e.g. 'mkdir ~/rbinstall' from a terminal window)
  • Download and Extract the OF, the bootloader AND mkamsboot into that folder.
  • Open a new terminal window. CD to the 'rbinstall' folder ('cd ~/rbinstall')
  • Run mkamsboot from the terminal window you opened in the previous step, passing the name of the OF file you've downloaded and the the bootloader file you've downloaded, as well as a name you can chose yourself for the patched output file
    (e.g. './mkamsboot fuzea.bin bootloader-fuze.bin patched.bin')
  • Retry or abort if it does not report success!
  • Copy the output file to the root of your device and rename it to whatever the OF file you've downloaded was named
  • Safely unmount and wait for the firmware update to finish.
  • You've successfully installed the bootloader and Rockbox. It boots by default. For booting the OF press |<< very quickly or plug the cable in while the device off (plugging the cable doesn't work on Clipv2 and Clip+).
Windows
  • Make sure your player is in MSC mode.
  • Download and Extract the normal build (rockbox.zip) onto your device.
  • Create a folder 'rbinstall' in your on the Desktop
  • Extract the OF, the bootloader AND mkamsboot into that folder.
  • Open a new command promt window (Windowskey+R->cmd.exe). CD to the 'rbinstall' folder ('cd Desktop\rbinstall')
  • Run mkamsboot from the command line window you opened in the previous step, passing the name of the OF file you've downloaded and the the bootloader file you've downloaded, as well as a name you can chose yourself for the patched output file
    (e.g. 'mkamsboot.exe fuzea.bin bootloader-fuze.bin patched.bin')
  • Retry or abort if it does not report success!
  • Copy the output file to the root of your device and rename it to whatever the OF file you've downloaded was named
  • Safely eject, unplug USB and wait for the firmware update to finish.
  • You've successfully installed the bootloader and Rockbox. It boots by default. For booting the OF press |<< very quickly or plug the cable in while it's off (plugging the cable doesn't work on Clipv2 and Clip+).

Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Viking View Post
I know the downloads are on the first page, but clear instructions aren't.
You unzip both files from the first post to the root of your Clip+. That is all you have to do, nothing else.

It's been mentioned a few times in the thread already. I updated the first post to include that info.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 AM

I just updated to a new firmware build, and I have to say the keymap change to the home button is rather terrible from a usability standpoint.

It's not logical having to use both hands to press two buttons for the quick menu - that's rather counterintuitive, more of a "slow menu" than a quick one. I'm using the quick menu all the time, and it's really a hassle trying to use it that way.

On the other hand, it makes very much sense having to use two hands to lock/unlock the player. It's also safer than pressing only one button.

I think having the same keymap as the stock firmware shouldn't be a high priority - since the stock firmware is way less complex, since it doesn't have many of the features Rockbox does have. To me it makes much more sense using a keymap that works well for Rockbox for long term usage, instead of one that only makes the switch from stock firmware to Rockbox easier for some people.

Please revert that change back - it's arguably not an improvement over the old keymap.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM

I think the confusion around the zip file on page 1 is that it includes both the bootloader and a FW, and they both need to be copied to the Clip+.

That is different to the RB instructions which require you to patch the OFW with the bootloader first, and then copy only the patched FW file.

I must admit I tried patching the FW in that zip file using mkamsboot, and it failed.

I went back to .09 OFW, patched it, and all was fine.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks for all the answers, and your patience with me as well. Much appreciated. Thanks for updating the first post dfkt, it makes it much easier to understand. Like I said, I have written many tutorials myself for MP4 players. This process is very similar to some of those, but most of those are a bit more complicated, believe it or not. Thanks again, have a good one everyone, really enjoying this site...

Amp: PA2V2, Fiio E3, FiiO E7, FiiO E5, FiiO E11, FiiO E6, FiiO E10

Last edited by Ultimate Viking; 06-02-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:33 AM

dfkt - One thing you might want to specify in the first post is that the Clip+ should be in MSC mode. It's a minor problem and it's stated later in the thread, but if somebody only reads the first post (I did) they might miss it. My Clip+ autodetected to MTP and then Rockbox would not install. Took me a few minutes to realize what was going on.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I just updated to a new firmware build, and I have to say the keymap change to the home button is rather terrible from a usability standpoint.

It's not logical having to use both hands to press two buttons for the quick menu - that's rather counterintuitive, more of a "slow menu" than a quick one. I'm using the quick menu all the time, and it's really a hassle trying to use it that way.

On the other hand, it makes very much sense having to use two hands to lock/unlock the player. It's also safer than pressing only one button.

I think having the same keymap as the stock firmware shouldn't be a high priority - since the stock firmware is way less complex, since it doesn't have many of the features Rockbox does have. To me it makes much more sense using a keymap that works well for Rockbox for long term usage, instead of one that only makes the switch from stock firmware to Rockbox easier for some people.

Please revert that change back - it's arguably not an improvement over the old keymap.
I had zero issus with the previous RB keymap and don't think the changes sound like good ones. I haven't updated in a few days and will probably hold off if the keymapping is wonky.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I second that. I absolutely agree to what dfkt said, it's really an improve for the worse (in German we say "Verschlimmbesserung") ! Please revert that change.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:59 PM

Here's a fresh build (just one revision before Rockbox 3.6 was released today ) with the old keymap and the 0x1b volume level: http://www.mediafire.com/?qjuiimvyakj

(For anyone interested, I only reverted that diff: http://svn.rockbox.org/viewvc.cgi/tr...396&view=patch)

Old 06-03-2010, 06:38 PM

Rockbox is the best thing that happened to mp3 players. The clip+ with rockbox is awesome. With a minor eq tweak the clip+ sounds as good as the sony. The radio sounds great too.

There's a problem though. It seems that rockbox is not able to play wmapro. Anyone tried this?

Last edited by h1a8; 06-03-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Read the codec status: http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SoundCodecs#Current_status

WMA Pro is currently not supported by Rockbox (or any other player except the Zune and maybe some exotic Toshiba). AFAIK, Saratoga is working on implementing that useless codec, though, for completeness' sake.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks I didn't know that. Also cowon s9 can play it though

Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
Not quite a tweak but rather an EQ setting. I bump the frequency at 2900Hz up .5dB with Q=1.5. From RMAA tests this is what Sony does (but at 3500Hz) to warm up their sound (make the midrange clearer and every so slightly more in your face). For some phones (like the ie7) bumping up the treble to 3-5dB makes the sound more lively and awesome.

Also a bump up at 60Hz to .5dB with Q=1.5 is also a nice touch too.

I know .5dB isn't much but trust me it's one of Sony's secrets. I've look at the RMAA graphs.
I tried this setting, PERFECT !!! with the latest dfkt build on post no.530

But mine treble bumping is only +2db my earbud MX980.

And I still had a doubt for refreshing database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDeF View Post
Yesterday, I was just updated to the latest build. Everything is fine but when i switch back to OF for charging & files transfer. My clip+ alway refresh its database everytime i need to load on OF(micro SD inserted). I don't know what happen? Now I just use OF only.
+ I don't have any problem if I removed my microSD. Before this problem occured both ,my Clip+ and the card work fine

Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 PM

I have just successfully Rockbox'ed my Clip+. Man, this Rockbox thing surely kicks ass!

Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 PM

Dfkt,

In your 530 post, I just take that and replace the .rockbox file on the Clip+?
By chance is anyone working on a FM Radio WPS?

thanks

Old 06-05-2010, 04:57 AM

What happened to my post about h1a8's EQ settings. It seems it has been deleted. Why? I thought this was supposed to be a forum for members to share on.

Art

Old 06-05-2010, 05:04 AM

Nothing has been deleted. I moved the posts to a separate thread: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55474

You should be subscribed to that thread, it should have shown up in your UserCP.

Back on topic (Rockbox, that is, not personal EQ preferences).

Old 06-05-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Nothing has been deleted. I moved the posts to a separate thread: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55474

You should be subscribed to that thread, it should have shown up in your UserCP.

Back on topic (Rockbox, that is, not personal EQ preferences).
OK no problems

Art

Old 06-05-2010, 12:00 PM

I bought one of those refurbed Clip+ players on Woot, assuming that Rockbox was nearly completed for the AMS Sansas, but when I looked at the thread for this series on the Rockbox forum, I noticed that it had been closed because "not much development happened here for some time" (with a suggestion that if anyone wants to help with development, they get with them via IRC or a mailing list).

Are they giving up on the AMS Sansas? I have put Rockbox on one of my Fuze V1 players and it works good, with the exception of the USB not working since it's not yet implemented.

I had been checking that thread every few days, watching them figure out the problem with the new Fuze V2 (apparently those built beginning some time in April, I think) -- if Sansa is going to the trouble of "Zunifying" the hardware to prevent third party firmware from being installed (or even older versions of their own firmware), then can the Clip+ be far behind? If that's what the future holds for Sansa, then it's got to be discouraging for people who've sweated over their own OS for a long time, only to have the door slammed in their face by the manufacturer.

If things really do end up that way -- new issue players locked down tight as a drum -- then I hope that the Rockbox devs will at least finish up the ports for the "pre-lockdown" AMS players (i.e., stable builds, Rockbox Utility able to install (with current release Sansa firmware), and, hopefully, a working USB ability).

I was really surprised that they closed the development thread.

And I was REALLY discouraged that Sansa would play those games with the hardware. I am speculating that their goal is to make sure that people cannot "opt-out" of the various OFFICIAL third-party stuff (the DRM'd music and audiobook content, which I assume is beneficial to them, so to speak, and the "slot-stuff" that they keep pushing on a market that doesn't seem to be beating a path to their door to buy. In short, something akin to Microsoft's "ecosystem" approach, which seems to be a main reason for them not allowing people to use Zunes as generic USB devices.

If they truly are going down that path, it's sad, and I don't see any winners (other than the Chinese "MP4" vendors).

I'm rambling now, so I'll wrap up. I really hope the Rockbox folks continue getting the Sansa AMS ports ready for production -- at the very least, the Fuze and Clip versions.

And I hope that they can nail down exactly WHAT it is that the rocket scientists at Sansa are doing with the hardware -- at the very least, figure out how to tell which product codes (the thing that looks like a serial number but really isn't) are OK, and which are locked down. I'm pretty sure that all of my Fuze V2 players are OK based on the numbers that people posted in that thread, but it was still somewhat inconclusive. Now, with the thread closed, there won't be any more reports saying which numbers are OK.