android
Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Administrator

That's something saratoga would have to answer lestatar. I have no idea what changes were made or what it would take to iron out any bugs.

funman has said in the past the discharge curve is linear and when I checked the player after booted it reported 10% charge remaining. It had been hooked up for a few minutes. The lower end of the charge is very quick so I assume that's were the difference comes from. I believe the battery bench report should be accurate.

I'm truly grateful for 14-15 hrs. runtime now. When Rockbox was first being ported to the original Clip getting more than an hour without a crash was considered outstanding. Seeing regular reports of 15+ hours uptime is just mind boggling now. Anything more would just be additional icing on the cake.

There's some incredibly talented people developing Rockbox. I'm just glad they continue to share their results with us.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
*snip*

funman has said in the past the discharge curve is linear *snip*
That is one of the countless improvements over the OF....the battery never seemed to drain in a linear fashion with the OF

Quote:
There's some incredibly talented people developing Rockbox. I'm just glad they continue to share their results with us.
I'm in total agreement.
Attached Images
File Type: gif f4ddbbdd.gif (4.1 KB, 308 views)

Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 PM

Hmmm, I was just checking the main page of the rockbox website, and somebody had a workaround for the random usb-failures. Has anyone tried it yet?
http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/11664 <--- this is the link to the workaround.

Oh BTW, maybe it's a dumb question, but how do you install this patch/workaround?

Old 10-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Heres a custom build I made for my player that has frequency scaling enabled. It seems to work for me, but it may have stability issues. If its stable, I want to enable frequency scaling in the main build since it'll improve battery life.

http://duke.edu/~mgg6/rockbox/rockbox-clipplus-frequency.7z
Thanks very much for this - I was wondering if we'd get frequency scaling working on the clip+.
I've been using this for a couple of days now. I had a couple of crashes when I tried loading different themes as soon as I installed it. However, it hasn't crashed since (in abour 10 hours of playing ogg files) and I also changed themes 3 more times without crashing. I'll carry on testing to see if I can repeat the theme-changing crash.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:32 PM

@Idroy. It's actually pretty straightforward. You need to set up a build environment;

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SimpleGuideToCompiling

Or;

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/LinuxSimpleGuideToCompiling

I've heard it's easier on Linux, but I've never tried on Windows so couldn't say. You could set up a virtual machine if you don't have a spare partition you can give over to dual booting.

But experimental patches messing with things like USB support are perhaps not the best way to get your feet wet. Don't want to put you off... But my personal preference is to leave that low level stuff to experienced devs who know what to do when things go awry.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post

But experimental patches messing with things like USB support are perhaps not the best way to get your feet wet. Don't want to put you off... But my personal preference is to leave that low level stuff to experienced devs who know what to do when things go awry.
Hmmm, I'll wait till it gets officially released then :P.

Has anyone else with some compiling skills tried the patch? If yes, does it work just like it says it will work?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
That's something saratoga would have to answer lestatar. I have no idea what changes were made or what it would take to iron out any bugs.

funman has said in the past the discharge curve is linear and when I checked the player after booted it reported 10% charge remaining. It had been hooked up for a few minutes. The lower end of the charge is very quick so I assume that's were the difference comes from. I believe the battery bench report should be accurate.

I'm truly grateful for 14-15 hrs. runtime now. When Rockbox was first being ported to the original Clip getting more than an hour without a crash was considered outstanding. Seeing regular reports of 15+ hours uptime is just mind boggling now. Anything more would just be additional icing on the cake.

skip252: Your whole post deserved to be quoted again.

Especially the part about the Rockbox devs.

THANK YOU people!!!
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-10-2010, 05:17 PM

Im getting 16.30 hrs.

Im amazed at the quality of ROCKBOX, and thank you to all that have a hand in its development.

Xbox Live GT: TANJENT PLOP

Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
funman has said in the past the discharge curve is linear and when I checked the player after booted it reported 10% charge remaining. It had been hooked up for a few minutes.
I would have thought the battery discharge curve was primarily a function of the battery itself, not the electronics.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmaye View Post
I would have thought the battery discharge curve was primarily a function of the battery itself, not the electronics.
I was referring to how Rockbox reports battery drain. funman's statement here.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:04 PM

I managed to compile it, and added the usb support patch (http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/11664). And for me it is just working fine . It didn't fail yet and I did plug it in and out a couple of times. It sometimes appears a little late in explorer.exe but it works

For those who are interested in the zip, here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?9k9u7c1ap68sf9e

I did NOT make the patch, I only compiled it, and put it all in a .zip file.

*edit* just plugged it in 20 times or something, and it didn't fail once.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 PM

Bravura! You're a dev now, expect feature requests.

First, I'd like you to make me a web browser for it please?

No, seriously, well done. It isn't actually all that hard after all, is it? You can get lost for hours though, once you really start delving into it... Fascinating stuff. Have fun...

Old 10-14-2010, 03:11 AM

Wow, that looks great, Idroy. Now someone has to add it to dfkt's latest build and my life would be complete, lol.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzo View Post
Wow, that looks great, Idroy. Now someone has to add it to dfkt's latest build and my life would be complete, lol.
Thanks, I could try to add the patches which he added to his build to my build, is not a huge issue I think.

I think I'm a bit addicted to compiling, XD.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 AM

Thumb Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idroy View Post
Thanks, I could try to add the patches which he added to his build to my build, is not a huge issue I think.

Please do! His is my favorite build.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idroy View Post

That would be very kind from you, having the Meier crossfeed AND usb support (which looks like it works fine) would be extremely awesome, and not just for me I suppose.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 AM

Here it is. I added the same patches as DFKT did, and added the usb/support patch.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ps4uwv0uidsqw49

Have fun with it

PS. Sometimes it does take a little while untill it shows up in explorer.

Last edited by Idroy; 10-14-2010 at 08:22 AM.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 AM

Cool, man, that was fast. I love you. My Rockbox experience seems to be complete. Works fine, it shows instantly on my computer, even faster than original USB support.

Btw, the Meier crossfeed is FS#11577, you added -Meier after the usb patch in the file name. Just a minor nitpicking.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzo View Post
Btw, the Meier crossfeed is FS#11577, you added -Meier after the usb patch in the file name. Just a minor nitpicking.
Ah, okay. IŽll edit the previous post, with the correct filename

Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Thanks Idroy. You've saved me a whole lot of patching and compiling