android
Old 03-27-2010, 03:11 PM

Default 818 doesn't accept m4a/m4p?

so, i got a few other A series players i keep for back-up...

i've just been bringing content up-to-date on my 818 and noticed by chance all the tracks in the playlists that are m4a or m4p (bought from iTunes) have not loaded...

perhaps not all, but most of them will have been bought after Apple dropped DRM - so does anyone have any idea why they won't load?? (they load just fine on X, 829 and 846)...

(using MediaMonkey - loading at WMA 256 (tried variable too)...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-27-2010, 03:47 PM

I had a similar problem when first using my player (a Sony NWZ-A818) with MediaMonkey. The fix was to tell it that .m4a and .m4p were formats supported by my player. This is what I did:

- Click on "Tools" on the menu bar and select "Options" on the menu.

- Select "Portable/Audio Devices"

- Select your player and click on the "Configure" button. A Device Profile screen for your player will appear.

- Select the "Auto Conversion" tab. At the buttom of the screen you will see a list of supported formats. Check to see if "M4A" and "M4P" appear.

- If one or both of the formats don't appear, click on the "Set Formats" button and select them from the "Compatible Formats" list.

By the way, you can also use this screen to set auto conversion rules for your player. As an example, since my player only supports MP3s with a bitrate of 32kbps or higher I have it autoconvert any MP3 with a bitrate of less than 32kbps to 64kbps. I also have it autoconvert incompatible files into high-quality VBR MP3s.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Last edited by CDMP3PlayerFan; 11-04-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: To add the designation of my player.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:47 PM

CDMP3PlayerFan - much appreciated!

i've been using MM for a long time now but have to admit i'd never noticed that button/option before!

anyway, i'm syncing now, sure that'll sort it -- many thanks...

Old 03-28-2010, 07:06 AM

hmm, i felt sure that was gonna work

anyone have any ideas here?!

Edit: turns out it's only m4p files that have not been put across which it turns out are the older iTunes format which are DRM protected files.... (they're all only 128kbps too vs. 256 for the m4a -- Apple, commitment to profit only! certainly not music!)...

i guess the older Walkmans won't accept them... as i'm looking at around 30+ tracks, it's gonna be a hell of a hassle to recode all of these...

anyone have a work around?

Last edited by fugusushi; 03-28-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugusushi View Post
hmm, i felt sure that was gonna work

anyone have any ideas here?!

Edit: turns out it's only m4p files that have not been put across which it turns out are the older iTunes format which are DRM protected files.... (they're all only 128kbps too vs. 256 for the m4a -- Apple, commitment to profit only! certainly not music!)...

i guess the older Walkmans won't accept them... as i'm looking at around 30+ tracks, it's gonna be a hell of a hassle to recode all of these...

anyone have a work around?
I hadn't thought about the DRM issue with files from iTunes since they've dropped the DRM. Sony players will play AAC files as long as they are not protected by DRM.

I only had a few DRM-encoded tracks (purchased just to see how the iTunes Store worked when iTunes Plus wasn't available) so my workaround was to upgrade the songs to iTunes Plus. It gave me new versions of the files without the DRM and with better sound quality. Since it was only a few tracks, it wasn't too expensive.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 AM

CDMP3PlayerFan - yeah, that's exactly what i did. But i had 32 tracks to update in that single playlist - but still, once i noticed the bit rate on the DRM tracks, i had to bite the bullet.

But 'iTunes Plus'? 'upgrade'? i did once upgrade a track on iTunes. I went to buy a track i already had and it asked if i wanted to upgrade it for v.low cost. But this time around, it just said i already had the track and did i want to buy it again...

anyway, it was a DRM issue. Seems i'd switched some tracks around and that was the issue....

many thanks for the assistance anyway...