android
Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 PM

Default Charging With USB and Docking Station?

Well I recently stumbled across an almost brand new Zen vision m in my electronics basket (with all my old cell phones mp3 players etc).

This belonged to my brother and he now has an iPod, I have a touch, but I'd like to load this up with some movies and use it basically for movies, plus it'd be much easier to put a movie on this then hook it up to my tv, rather than burning a dvd etc...

Anyways, its been sitting in the basket for probably a year untouched, its been VERY well taken care of, and VERY lightly used, it looks and feels brand new.

So I found 2 things that plug into the bottom of it, one is a dock, and one is this thing (Dont know what to call it Click here to view image )

I am unable to find the ac adapter but the dock did have a usb plugged into it so I have plugged that into my computer but I dont see any signs of charging. Is it just that its completely dead and will need a while to charge up enough?

Is it dead?

Can I even charge it with USB?

I'll have a look around later and see if I can find the ac adapter but I doubt I will be able to...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 PM

I don't think the dock will charge unless you have the power adapter plugged in; in other words, you can't charge via USB using the dock.

The image you posted is the dongle, which is essentially the same as the dock. So if you want to charge using the dongle, you still need the power adapter. The dongle is very useful in that the AV line out gives much better sound quality than the headphone jack if you're hooking it up to a sound system or your car.

If you need a charger, you can buy a 3rd party one for dirt cheap on eBay or Amazon. I got one like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wall-Charger-for...item1c113575be

It works fine, charges up pretty quickly.
Zen Vision:M 30GB
Zen 32GB

Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Would this work for charging?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-2-0-SYNC-DATA...item27b0476eea

Old 03-31-2010, 12:25 AM

I think it should, but keep in mind that charging via USB is always going to be a lot slower than using a wall charger.
Zen Vision:M 30GB
Zen 32GB

Old 03-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfKing View Post
Well I recently stumbled across an almost brand new Zen vision m in my electronics basket (with all my old cell phones mp3 players etc).

This belonged to my brother and he now has an iPod, I have a touch, but I'd like to load this up with some movies and use it basically for movies, plus it'd be much easier to put a movie on this then hook it up to my tv, rather than burning a dvd etc...

Anyways, its been sitting in the basket for probably a year untouched, its been VERY well taken care of, and VERY lightly used, it looks and feels brand new.

So I found 2 things that plug into the bottom of it, one is a dock, and one is this thing (Dont know what to call it Click here to view image )

I am unable to find the ac adapter but the dock did have a usb plugged into it so I have plugged that into my computer but I dont see any signs of charging. Is it just that its completely dead and will need a while to charge up enough?

Is it dead?

Can I even charge it with USB?

I'll have a look around later and see if I can find the ac adapter but I doubt I will be able to...
The picture is of the Dongle adapter for the player. You can charge it via USB with that or a wall charger(you plug it into the center whole). DO NOT use those 3rd party all-in-ones. They will damage your motherboard. A PSP wall charger can be used as a sub for the Creative brand. The polarity & voltage is compatible. Those can be bought dirt cheap on Ebay. http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...item3a5934bbad

Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 AM

No biggie, I dont mind charging it overnight, I have my iPod for daily music, I just plan on using this for watching movies and/or t.v on occasion.

Plus I assume its better fr the battery to charge it slowly.

Edit: I found a psp ac wall charger for like 30 cents more than that sync cable, is it safe to use the psp charger? It'd be nice to make use of the dock, so I'd like to use an ac adapter but I dont want to do any damage.

The one ive found is 5v 2a, but ive seen a bunch of chargers that are 5v 1a?

Last edited by SmurfKing; 03-31-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 PM

The PSP wall charger works well. Plug into the charger port and let it charge about 16 hours.

The Dragon Calls! I must Go!
Canon EOS Rebel XT -- Canon Powershot S5IS

Old 04-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfKing View Post
No biggie, I dont mind charging it overnight, I have my iPod for daily music, I just plan on using this for watching movies and/or t.v on occasion.

Plus I assume its better fr the battery to charge it slowly.

Edit: I found a psp ac wall charger for like 30 cents more than that sync cable, is it safe to use the psp charger? It'd be nice to make use of the dock, so I'd like to use an ac adapter but I dont want to do any damage.

The one ive found is 5v 2a, but ive seen a bunch of chargers that are 5v 1a?
I get longer battery life from my players when I use wall chargers. Yes PSP wall charger is safe to use. I have both wall & car chargers (PSP) that I use for mine & have done so for 2+ yrs. without problems. A little info on the type of battery that the players use. http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm