android
Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 PM

Default Does Rockbox on v1 support Mpegplayer?

The Rockbox docs indicate that the mpegplayer "plug-in" is not supported on the Sansa Fuze; however, both the c200 and e200 are supported. Is the documentation correct? Or does mpegplayer work on the Fuze? If so, does it have the audio/video sync issue like the built-in player does after several minutes of video?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Administrator

I've found the best way for me to answer questions about the capabilities of my Rockboxed players is to try out my question on the player. At worst it doesn't work. At best you might pick up a new twist you can pass along to the rest of us.

I would grab a copy of WinFF and give it a shot.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInAction View Post
The Rockbox docs indicate that the mpegplayer "plug-in" is not supported on the Sansa Fuze;
Which docs?

I tried it like 6 months ago and it worked fine, although occasionally the screen would glitch (IIRC this is now fixed though).

Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Which docs?
The wiki for the mpegplayer found here.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
The wiki for the mpegplayer found here.
The word "fuze" isn't even present on that page. Which section says it isn't supported?

Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
The word "fuze" isn't even present on that page. Which section says it isn't supported?
By the fact that the name isn't shown, I assumed it isn't supported. Though now I see the Supported Targets section states "all are supported except...". FWIW, the "links" at the bottom of the wiki page don't reference the Fuze.

It does work. I didn't noticed any audio/video sync issues after ~9min of video. I just used the Elephant Dreams (odd show) video. I used the download link for the 4:3 entry for the e200. I couldn't figure out where (which folder) to put the video on the player so I could find it. Eventually, I put it in the root folder and possibly enabled "view all files". I, then, had to do the "Open with..." trick in order to get mpegplayer to launch. Once it launched, the audio/video appeared sync'd. Though the movie is a bit dark and there isn't much dialog so it is tough to say. But when using the stock player, sync issue become apparent (5-10s out-of-sync) after ~5 mins of video.

Is there some way to just get that feature from rockbox, but use the stock UI for everything else? Probably not.... Maybe I'll have to play around with the themes a bit, to make menus a bit more readable (larger).

Old 04-01-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
By the fact that the name isn't shown, I assumed it isn't supported.
Not every wiki page is updated to list the name of every player rockbox runs on. Theres too many pages and too many players for that to be feasible. If there was some problem that prevented mpegplayer from working, I'm sure it would be mentioned on the Fuze wiki page under the list of known issues.

Quote:
It does work. I didn't noticed any audio/video sync issues after ~9min of video. I just used the Elephant Dreams (odd show) video. I used the download link for the 4:3 entry for the e200. I couldn't figure out where (which folder) to put the video on the player so I could find it.
Rockbox doesn't have special folders. You can put any file anywhere and still be able to play it.

Quote:
Eventually, I put it in the root folder and possibly enabled "view all files". I, then, had to do the "Open with..." trick in order to get mpegplayer to launch. Once it launched, the audio/video appeared sync'd. Though the movie is a bit dark and there isn't much dialog so it is tough to say. But when using the stock player, sync issue become apparent (5-10s out-of-sync) after ~5 mins of video.
You don't need to use open with. Unless you renamed the file extension, clicking on an mpeg file will automatically open the movie.

Quote:
Is there some way to just get that feature from rockbox, but use the stock UI for everything else? Probably not.... Maybe I'll have to play around with the themes a bit, to make menus a bit more readable (larger).
No they're different operating systems. You can't mix and match. If you just want a bigger font, theres several larger ones included with rockbox under the settings menu.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
You don't need to use open with. Unless you renamed the file extension, clicking on an mpeg file will automatically open the movie.
The movie had a .mpg extension (as downloaded).
Quote:
If you just want a bigger font, theres several larger ones included with rockbox under the settings menu.
I'll give them a try.

Thanks.

Tags
mpegviewer, rockbox