android
Old 04-08-2010, 09:25 AM

Help Upgrade From 32GB Zen to 64GB X-Fi2?

I just received an email from Creative telling me that a 64GB X-Fi2 is now available (for 249 in the UK) .....

Other than the extra 32Gb, what other benefits would I get from upgrading? How does the sound quality compare between the two of them.

(I had been holding out for a Zii Egg but that doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon )
Current Collection: Sony: NWZ-A866, NWZ-A845, NWZ-X1060 Creative: ZEN(32GB), Zen Vision, Zen Micro, Zen NX, Muvo2 Sandisk: Sansa e280, Clip, Clip+, Fuze+ Rio: Carbon iRiver: T60 iPod: Nano, Shuffle Shure: SE530, SE420 SE210 & E3C.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 AM

if your are talking about the first version of the zen then there are a few differences. the soundquality should be a bit better (i.e. you have x-fi enhancement).
secondly you can add little applications and play a bit around or you can view rss-feeds.
however, the x-fi2 has also all the things what the "primal zen" has except that this player has a touchpad, has a better soundquality and a few new other things.
idk if it is worth for you to buy a new one. i made the same upgrade but only because my old zen broke and the x-fi2 had the same pricing.
maybe you should take a closer look at the creative website.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsEm View Post
I just received an email from Creative telling me that a 64GB X-Fi2 is now available (for 249 in the UK) .....

Other than the extra 32Gb, what other benefits would I get from upgrading? How does the sound quality compare between the two of them.

(I had been holding out for a Zii Egg but that doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon )
The X-Fi 2 is the worst DAP I ever reviewed (see the gmp3 review), it's a shame for such a good brand.
The only pros for this DAP are the 64Gb version and the price. Everything else is worse than on its competitors.
I rather suggest you to wait for a Cowon or Samsung 64Gb DAP

Old 04-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned

I'd rather get an ipod touch 64Gb.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
It may have features which are better, but The X-Fi2 have better sound and is cheaper. So for someone with a limited budget it may not be an option even with an iTouch.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 04-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Hmmm maybe not either
The Touch has not the same disadvantages as the Zen x-fi 2 but has as many

Old 04-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned

I don't know that it sounds any better than Apple products - I had a Zen and its EQ was lousy, DNSe2 on the Samsung T10 sounded a lot better. I was just joking about the touch - I don't want one, really.

You don't hear people raving about Creative for their sound quality.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
It may have features which are better, but The X-Fi2 have better sound and is cheaper.
I doubt that the Creative thing sounds "better". I haven't heard the X-Fi2 personally, but the iPod Touch 3G sounded pretty much the same as every other decent player out there when I AB-tested it against my Sansas and Cowons. There rarely is any really perceivable difference among brands (and played flat, without EQ), once players reach a certain level of quality.

That being said, mentioning both brands, Creative and Apple, when it comes to perceived sound quality is kind of silly- both of them have crappy sub-par EQs and no useful sound enhancements (useful meaning BBE, DNSe, and such). But then again, the iPod at least is gapless and plays the music as it's supposed to be. And it has a useful line-out too.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
You don't hear people raving about Creative for their sound quality.
Except Creative Fanboys here on ABI who don't want to admit Creative are not anymore what they used to be
(okay you can make your own LUA applications on the x-fi 2, that's fun but I don't buy a DAP for that)

More seriously, as I tested sound quality on Apple, Creative, Samsung and Cowon products, I can say that the normal sound (no EQ, no sound effect) on the X-Fi 2 is rather good, there is not much noticeable difference with Samsung and Cowon but as regards EQ and sound effects, they just sound terrible. I don't even understand how Creative dared to include the "X-Fi" technology in the name of the product! Samsung could call its P3 "P3 DNSe 3.0" and Cowon could name its S9 "BBE S9" but Creative it's a shame...

Last edited by lebellium; 04-11-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
I already have an iPod Touch but I only ever use it for video as I find the sound quality to be poor compared to the Creative Zen.

I am only interested in the X-Fi2 as a music player, I have plenty of other devices for video, wifi, games etc.

One thing that pisses me off about the Zen is the stupid standby mode that drains the battery ..... does the X-Fi2 suffer from the same problem?

Current Collection: Sony: NWZ-A866, NWZ-A845, NWZ-X1060 Creative: ZEN(32GB), Zen Vision, Zen Micro, Zen NX, Muvo2 Sandisk: Sansa e280, Clip, Clip+, Fuze+ Rio: Carbon iRiver: T60 iPod: Nano, Shuffle Shure: SE530, SE420 SE210 & E3C.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 AM

The creative x-fi2 can shutdown automatically if it's not used...The battery lasts longer than the x-fi(1). The sound quality though it's the best you'll get! Probably the EP-630 or EP-830 headphones help a lot, as they make other players (that I tried them on) sound way better.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei_bocanescu View Post
The creative x-fi2 can shutdown automatically if it's not used...The battery lasts longer than the x-fi(1). The sound quality though it's the best you'll get! Probably the EP-630 or EP-830 headphones help a lot, as they make other players (that I tried them on) sound way better.
Please....
You cannot talk about sound quality if you own Creative EP-630.
And no, the sound quality of the X-fi 2 is not the best you'll get.
Please read the previous posts written by people who really know what they are talking about.
I'm fed up with people who make disinformation about Creative DAP.
Okay I can understand some people are not demanding and don't have much money for buying a good DAP. But if you want a good DAP, you cannot buy a Creative today. You should have bought one before 2007. Now it's too late and Sony, Sandisk, Samsung and Cowon DAPs are MUCH better.
So why do some people still buy Creative DAPs? Because it's written "Creative" on them, and Creative used to be a very good brand. And because people prefer to care on the low price rather than on the good-value for money.

Last edited by lebellium; 04-12-2010 at 03:28 AM.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 PM

Gee Lebellum, people are allowed their opinoins. You had a bad review, and so did many others. Some people actually like the player. Maybe they have better dexterity than you or the French school system couldn't make you smart enough to figure out the player. Apparently some people got the player down and enjoy it. They like the sound quality. Who are you to tell them what they hear. I'm thrilled with my Zen 32. So I'm sure the XFi 2 is good. Go back to your reviewer job.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

No personal insults, please.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
No personal insults, please.
What he said.

Also, this thread is about whether or not it is a good idea to upgrade from a 32GB Zen to a 64GB X-Fi2, not about the quality of Creative's players compared to other brands, let's get back on topic.
Like my work? Tell your friends. Don't like it? Tell me so I can improve. ^.^

Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
X-Fi2 Development Moderator

Hey EsEm I also am waiting and saving for the Zii Egg

I would say just buy an 32gb micro sd card to hold you over or buy or whatever size until the Egg comes out

If creative doesn't goof this could be a serious ipod or itouch killer(the zii egg)

If you do the same thing I did which was sending zii an email asking about the consumer edition and enough others do they Might relieze they could make a fortune from the Egg

Overall I would say wait for the Egg

Old 04-25-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsEm View Post
I already have an iPod Touch but I only ever use it for video as I find the sound quality to be poor compared to the Creative Zen.

I am only interested in the X-Fi2 as a music player, I have plenty of other devices for video, wifi, games etc.

One thing that pisses me off about the Zen is the stupid standby mode that drains the battery ..... does the X-Fi2 suffer from the same problem?

You'v already owned some DAPs from different brands. If you still enjoy the sound of creative zen, then the x-fi2 will be even better. In fact its sound quality is better than both the Zen and X-fi 1, maybe it is the best since zen micro come out from Creative.

PS: I don't like "x-fi" or any other EQs like "BBE" on DAPs. Don't you think that all these best players should be away from these artificial varnish of sound? I really miss those bulky ancient serious players which focused on sound without thinking of size and multi functions, such as Creative nomad jukebox series, Kenwood HDD series.