android
Old 04-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Default DAP + IEM's 200-280$, S639F?

Hello there, I'm completely new to this forum so bear with me if I posted this in the wrong section. I was recommended this site for some expert input on DAP's and such, so here I am . First of I want to state that I'm from Sweden so I don't have as much access to all kinds of players without insane shipping costs as Americans or Britts perhaps do.

I've been thinking of getting a new DAP with a decent pair of IEM's for around 200-280$. I'm not an insane audiophile but I do notice a remarkable difference between an Ipod and a good Sony Walkman for an example, which is why I've been looking at mainly Cowon's and Sony's mid-range players to fulfill my needs. The two models I've been looking at the most are Cowon's Iaudio 9 16GB and Sony NWZ-S639F.

The IEM's that comes with the Sony are apparently quite decent and will probably be enough for me while with the i9 I would have to buy a separate pair, probably something like Sennheiser CX-300 II or Creative EP-630/830 which I've been recommended in the price-range. This means that the Cowon with IEM's will cost ~280$ and the Sony with the featured ones costs ~220$.

So my main question is basically if the i9 is 60$ better? I don't give a damn about video-quality or such, what I do care about is SQ and user-friendlyness(?).

Thanks in advance, I hope you can help me out!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned

I've had them both... For that price you are better off with the Sony. The Cowon does have good EQ enhancements, but, as you say, you'll need to buy iems while the Sony comes with acceptable phones.

You would probably prefer the Sonys tactile buttons over the i9's swing-touch control also.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I've had them both... For that price you are better off with the Sony. The Cowon does have good EQ enhancements, but, as you say, you'll need to buy iems while the Sony comes with acceptable phones.

You would probably prefer the Sonys tactile buttons over the i9's swing-touch control also.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming my thoughts, and the swing-touch idea seems a bit odd indeed .