android
Old 04-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Default BBC iPlayer Woes

Can anyone solve this issue? I've had no luck with the BBC support.

I've downloaded portable files from iPlayer for use on my NWZ-S545 (and the wifes X1050), and sync'd them to the device. Checked the file works - great.

Next time I try to play them I get the "Cannot play. Please connect to compliant software and update licence information". The BBC iPlayer FAQ lists both S and X series as being compatible. If I download to my PC I can play them up until the expiry date of the file.

How can the files work one day when I sync them to my Sony (no matter how many times I tried it) but then not work the next day? - what's the problem!! I'm tearing my hair out here. Can anyone help? Am I doing something wrong or is this another case of Sony not being as compatible as they'd like you to think.

And while we're on the subject - why the heck is Sonys top of the range X series not PlayForSure compatible

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Its DRM - you only get a certain amount of time, or chances (it seems to vary) to watch them.

I found that the best way for me was to watch them fairly soon after downloading them, acquiring usage rights, and then transferring to my X. Otherwise I would end up with hours of dead files.

I call them Mission Impossible files because they always self-destruct, but, hey, they are free.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:46 PM

Well that was my first thought but heck, expiring the next morning - That's taking the wee wee really. I mean the point of portable files is so you can take them away with you somewhere isn't it??

I agree with the variance - I had one file that lasted a week or so which is marginally better. But less than 12 hours. That's harsh! I reckon this DRM business needs sorting PDQ else the portable media business will collapse - I have no doubts there.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Banned

I think if you start watching one on your Sony, then stop and go and do something else, it reduces the available time to watch it. It's not ideal.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:13 PM

Well like you say - at least it's free!

I'm going to sync a new file tonight and not play it to check it worked (which is what I have been doing as I had LOTS of teething troubles) and see what happens.

Ta muchly.