android
Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 AM

Default Avrcp 1.3

I've just purchased a new car and the stereo has AVRCP 1.3 support. Does anyone know if the P3 has full 1.3 support? I'd like to be able to control the player completely through the car stereo system. (track name displayed, etc.)

Thank you

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisam View Post
I've just purchased a new car and the stereo has AVRCP 1.3 support. Does anyone know if the P3 has full 1.3 support? I'd like to be able to control the player completely through the car stereo system. (track name displayed, etc.)

Thank you
If you have a P3, you could try it out and let the rest of us know. That type of information is usually buried and is only known if someone tries it and reports back.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:53 PM

I don't have a P3 but I will buy one if this feature is available.

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2010, 07:52 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have a BT head unit that supports metadata to test with the P3. Why don't you buy a P3 from a retailer with a good return policy and test it yourself. If it doesn't work, return it and no harm is done.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:00 PM

It doesn't seem that Best Buy sells the P3 in the store. (At least not according to the web site) I'll have to take a look there and see if they do.

In the meantime I contacted Samsung customer support and after going through several people there I finally got the answer I was hoping for. The P3 does indeed have avrcp 1.3 support. Of course they wouldn't guarantee that it would work with my head unit unless it was a samsung but more than likely it should work without an issue. I guess I'll be buying a P3!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
It doesn't seem that Best Buy sells the P3 in the store. (At least not according to the web site) I'll have to take a look there and see if they do.
If its online only, you can always have your local store order it into thier inventory and pick it up there. It takes a few days but no shipping fees and you can return at the store if you are not satisfied.

Good luck and let us know your results if you buy it.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:10 PM

I don't need 32 GB which is what Best Buy sells. I am going to order it from Amazon next week. I will definitely post my results here.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 PM

Thanks

Old 04-24-2010, 01:28 PM

Well, sadly, it does not work the way I want it to. The P3 does connect to my car head unit without a hitch but none of the metadata displays. I'm really bummed.

Anyone want to buy a P3 cheap? lol

It is a nice MP3 player, I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Samsung Moderator

The problem is that the AVRCP version is rarely precised in a product description....

Old 04-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Well, sadly, it does not work the way I want it to. The P3 does connect to my car head unit without a hitch but none of the metadata displays. I'm really bummed.

Anyone want to buy a P3 cheap? lol

It is a nice MP3 player, I'm sure I'll find a use for it.
Wasn't expecting to hear back so soon. Sorry to here it didn't work.

I'm kinda not suprised. A BT 2.1 +EDR AVRCP device should have this ability because I believe AVRCP 1.3 pre-dates BT 2.1 +EDR. I think it was rolled out about the time BT 2.0 hit the streets. On the other hand, Samsung may have felt metadata wasn't necessary and disabled that part of the AVRCP 1.3 profile.

Also, it isn't uncommon for devices to fail to detect valid profiles supported on both sides of a connection during the pairing process. The reasons are unknown to me but i've seen a fair amount of that with phones, headphones, and computers. Deleting and repairing will sometimes help but it's really hit or miss.

You probably have tried disconnecting and reconnecting to see if it picked up the metadata in a post pairing reconnect. You probably also tried deleting the partnership on both sides and reforming it again to see if it was just a glitch.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Yes, I decided to order it sooner and with Amazon Prime I got it in a day.

I did all of the above, un-paired and re-paired. It seems to be that the bluetooth profiles in the device determine what is available. I have to hook up through the headphone profile so therefore there is no need for song track info. I have a feeling the cell phone profile offers everything however I can't use that to pair with the car.

Regardless, the sound is fantastic. I know bluetooth isn't the best way to transfer music but I'm not overly picky. Bluetooth with the P3 sounds better than the aux choice with my sansa fuze. The aux connector in the car doesn't seem to be the best. Unfortunately there is no USB option, that would be the way to go and I absolutely refuse to buy an ipod (there is a connector kit available).

I plan to use the P3 even though I won't be able to select songs through the head unit. The only problem is it seems that when I paired the P3 it knocked my cell phone off. I can pair up to 8 units with the car but something has corrupted my phone connection so I'll have to see if I can get the two items to coexist peacefully. If not, the cell phone is going to win.

Thanks for all of your advice and interest in my situation. If you should hear of a device that would pair using the full avrcp 1.3 I'd love to know about it. It's frustrating to have all of that available to me on my car and nothing to use with it!

Old 04-25-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
It's frustrating to have all of that available to me on my car and nothing to use with it!
I know that feeling

Old 04-25-2010, 12:18 PM

I did a little searching and the latest devices that actually disclose the AVRCP profile they are using general seem to be still at 1.0. Why, I have no idea.

Take heart because it seems to be par for the course. I have a couple of devices that are capable of receiving A2DP audio with the standard SBC stream or can actually decode a mp3 stream. None of the devices that I have that transmit have the ability to stream out a mp3, just the Sub Band Codec (SBC).

I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if the EDR capabilities aren't being used when both devices in a pairing are supposed to be BT 2.x +EDR.

I speculate the Samsung support people incorrectly told you P3 is AVRCP 1.3. They probably though 1.0 was 'good enough' and are not using the higher version.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:37 PM

I think I really threw the people at Samsung for a loop. How many people call with that kind of question? However, they should definitely know the answer.

Now I'm wondering if it is an issue with the car audio system. I've looked through the manual and they don't show any device working with the system showing metadata. Even though the manual says it supports AVCRP 1.3, they don't show it in use. I don't really know but I pick up my license plates tomorrow and I might ask someone in the service department about it. My guess is that they aren't going to have a clue either!

Thanks again!

Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 PM

If I may pry, what kind of car is this? It should be possible to determine who made the head unit if we know who made the car. From there, it may be reasonably easy to determine more about the head unit itsself.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 AM

Sure, it's a Mazda CX-9 GT with the nav system. The sound is by Bose but I don't think that is who makes the actual unit. I've looked around and can't find a whole lot of info about it. I didn't even want the nav unit but the car was on the lot and they made me a pretty good deal. Now that I have it I want to utilize all of the options.

Thanks again for your interest!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:12 AM

I could not find much on you head unit. I used to have a few Ford contacts and as you may know, this platform is shared with the Ford Edge. Ford aslo owns part interest in Mazda. For some components not shared between Ford & Mazda, my conections could still could tell me who Mazda had sourced. No such luck this time.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 AM

I appreciate you looking into it for me so much! I've pretty much given up on it at this point. I did speak to someone in the service department. He seemed fairly knowledgeable but I don't think he completely understood what I was talking about. He said it was for the future and there would be a box added and that it was for ipod. HUH? There is already an ipod choice if you buy the needed hardware. Sooo.....I walked out without a real answer.

I'm thinking about adding usb functionality to the system. That might be the best way to go, then I'd just use my the player in MSC mode. I'll have to look into it over the summer, I'm too busy with work to delve into it much further at this point.

I'll have to find a good car audio place that knows what they are doing to see if it can even be done.

Thank you again!

Lisa

Old 05-26-2010, 04:21 PM

I bought a 2010 Mazda (its a 3 S,HB) earlier this year too and it also has bluetooth support. Though, the manual says it only supports AVRCP 1.0. I don't know about the CX-9 but it seems sort of unlikely that they are different, given that its the same brand and year. Are you sure your car has AVRCP 1.3?

if not, this lack of AVRCP 1.3 is disappointing to me too, since now I know that the filetags won't show up on my dashboard display, even with my new P3 that is currently being shipped. Yarrr!

If only there was an integration kit that is not iPod related... maybe the people at the service department wouldn't assume your PMP is an iPod.