android
Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Default How to create Playlist w/ Winamp (s545)

Ok so usually I can figure this stuff out pretty easily, but i'm stumped with this...

I've loaded my sony with all my songs(drag & drop), and now i want to make a few playlists...

I prefer winamp because its all i've ever used, but I rarley ever use it anymore cause my mp3 player is all i ever use...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I think lestatar can help you with this.....he uses Winamp, and his E345 is pretty much the same as an S545 (I have both). I can't help you though, becuase I don't use playlists.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:35 AM

I'm not sure, as I don't use Windows often. But I think the way is something like right-click on the device icon to create the new playlist and then a straight forward procedure to drag & drop or right-click again on any music to get a menu where you are able to see an add to playlist option.

Last edited by meetooman; 04-22-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Styling the text...

Old 04-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the plug Marv.... lol

Hey Loaded: Easy as pie to make playlists in Winamp and S series...

meetooman had it right:

- connect S to PC;

- launch Winamp;

- wait for Winamp to load WALKMAN [in left most Winamp navigation pane under PORTABLES];

- when WALKMAN has completed loading, click it once to select it;

- now you will be looking at the contents of your WALKMAN;

- RIGHT CLICK WALKMAN...select NEW PLAYLIST and create a new playlist [a tip here: avoid using more than 1 word for the playlist, it seems S/E series doesn't like multiple word playlists...e.g. name your list HardRock instead of Hard Rock];

- Once the new playlist is created, simply navigate the music on your WALKMAN, select by artist, genres, song, etc using standard Win Explorer commands/mouse [e.g. left click/shift to select an entire range or left click/ctrl to select items that span across ranges]...then right click the selected items and select SEND TO PLAYLIST...

- You are done... :-)

- You can now also go to the specific playlist and order the songs anyway you want using CLICK/DRAG...

hth and good luck!...do not be shy to PM me if you need more assistance...I am glad to try and help you out!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 04-22-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:21 AM

I've done exactly as posted in lestatar's post with no luck. The walkman doesn't find any playlists. I've been chatting with Sony tech support and they tell me the walkman doesn't support m3u files.

Has anyone actually made playlists from winamp work with the S545?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Groovus, sorry for your woes....

Odd, as the S should behave identically to the E in this regard....

One additional thing to try [and I neglected to mention initially] - do you have MTP Porting Kit installed? Google it. It is from Microsoft and apparently updates key files on XP and higher systems that do not have WMP10 or better installed.

Install it after reading up on it and then give the step by step instructions another shot...

Please report back any success/failure so we can better understand this.

thanks and good luck!

EDIT: From the E and S manuals [same text from both]...
 Some computers that already have Windows Media Player 10 installed may encounter
file limitations (AAC, video files, etc.) when transferring by drag-and-drop. If you install
Windows Media Player 11 from the Windows Media Player download site, you can solve
this problem, allowing you to transfer by drag-and-drop again. Before installing
Windows Media Player 11 on your computer, make sure to check whether your software
or service corresponds to Windows Media Player 11.

So, based on the above and it seems that the E/S expect to find WMP11 installed on target PCs. I have not upgraded WMP since the initial version that came bundled with XP but I did install the MTP Porting Kit on all my PCs which I think installs key files from WMP10-11 without having to install the whole WMP app. I believe this accounts for my success with stuff like playlists and Winamp and my E345.

check it out and try it...
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 07-25-2010 at 10:25 AM.