android
Old 04-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Default What is special about the Zune

Please try to win me over to the other side. I am thinking about the getting a Zune but I want to know what is so special about the Zune? In comparison to the Ipod what does the Zune offers?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

- Zune Pass. This is probably the biggest selling point of the Zune. Zune Pass gives you access to unlimited music for $15 per month. Each month, you get to keep 10 songs.
- The Zune software IMO is better than iTunes.
- IMO, the Zune interface is really slick and nice
- Market Discovery. Discovering new musics on the Zune is a breeze.
- SmartDJ. This is similar to Genius on the iPod but IMO, Smart DJ does a better job.
- Xvid support on the Zune HD. With iPod, you can't watch Xvid without converting it. With the latest firmware update on the Zune HD, you can just sync without converting.
- Most people seem to agree Zune have better SQ than iPod.
- You're unique. If you buy a Zune, you're not like everyone else with an iPod.

Last edited by aimran; 04-27-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

Ipods are probably better than Zunes tbh.. I can't put this to the test, though. Get a Sony.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Agree with Dreamnine...All due respect to Zune owners, but there are IMO far better DAPs out there than either of the "Lockdown Twins", Zune and iPod...But capacities are quite nice.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've got both. The Zune HD has better sound quality when comparing the same headphones on both. The Zune HD's screen is more colorful and has better blacks. OLED looks better. The latest Touch has speaker and external volume rocker, and I miss that on my Zune HD. The Touch also has far more apps, although the Zune HD has plenty of untapped potential that MS isn't yet pursuing agressively.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Just my 2 cent... Currently you're extremely locked down and crippled with Microsoft's monoculture. You have to jump through their hoops, have to do with the device what they allow you to do. Maybe that situation changes and someone hacks that thing open enough to be tolerable. Some initial efforts have been made already, but who knows how long it takes.

The iPod has a larger user base, thus has far more 3rd party apps that make it less crippled and easier to use, and lots more promising hacks. The Zune is only aping the whole iPod system anyways, so why not stay with the original dictatorship right away, since it's still the easier choice?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Neither one has a customizable EQ, so they both are a fail, in my eyes.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For sheer usability the touch kills the Zune, but the Zune has SLIGHTLY better SQ - but the volume is so low it's best suited for IEM usage only. Plus the Zune is, as stated, more locked down than the iPods. Even w/a recent ZDK (Zune Development Kit) it's still second rate compared to what an iPod can do.

Sorry, but no matter what the Zune Fanboi's cry in this section, it's never going to be as solid and well rounded as the iPod lineup. MS killed that from it's inception. And I've owned the Zune 30/80/120, and sent MY Zune HD back in the first week - only my sis-in-law has 1 (she's a non-techie).

Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Everyone is making it seems like the Zune sucks. The truth is if you compare the same features that both devices have, the Zune does everything better. My brother has an iPod Touch and I have a Zune HD so I have lots of time to compare them.

The only things the iPod has over the Zune are apps and accessories.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Everyone is making it seems like the Zune sucks. The truth is if you compare the same features that both devices have, the Zune does everything better. My brother has an iPod Touch and I have a Zune HD so I have lots of time to compare them.

The only things the iPod has over the Zune are apps and accessories.
Maybe you're right....but what are most of the complaints in the Zune forums here about? Lack of apps and games for their Zunes.....so it seems they all really want Touches.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have both to compare as well, and the touch toasts the Z:HD. If it had a custom EQ it would be better, but it is what it is - and that's better than a Zune.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Ok guys thanks for your opinion.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:44 AM

The Zune only sucks if you use the boggy pigware sync program to manage the content on it (rather than simply drag/drop from your OS).

Unfortunately, there's no way to NOT use the boggy pigware sync program.

So there you have it.

(And yes, I'm biased -- I own two Zunes.)

(The Ipod of course has its own suckage regime, however, if you get an older one, you can put Rockbox on it, and use it like a real player. No such luck with the Zunes, which is very frustrating since they have a much nicer look+feel and apparent build quality, compared to the frooti-pod.)

Old 04-30-2010, 06:45 PM

Talking

The Zune Desktop Client is what makes it special. Just simply the best of its class available. After using ZDC its difficult to use other software. Winamp, Media Monkey, Itunes, Sonbird and others that I have used and long since forgotten about. These all seem like inferior toys or are overly complicated calculus problems compared to ZDC.

Some people will harp on the fact that the ecosystem is closed, well this is true. But that is not a bad thing when it comes to ZuneHD. If you take advantage of its power it creates a very seamless and powerful experience.

The Zune Pass is a nice way to try new music with a small investment that makes Microsoft money. Some people think Microsoft should not make money after the sale of the device. Some People.

I will admit to being a bit of a Zuneboy. But I did not just wake up one day being that way. The devices and ecosystem deserve the praise. This whole thing is not perfect or even as good as it could be. Microsoft dropped the ball on several fronts. This does not diminish the beauty and greatness that exists at this time.

I recommend ZuneHD to people because I really love it. Not because its better than Ipod or any other device. I have no idea if it is or is not, and don't care.

ZuneHD is an excellent product that does its job very well. Great user interface. Great sound quality. Beautiful design, thin, light but substantial presence when held. Microsoft may never allow it to reach its full potential but I wont punish the device for the sins of its father.