android
Old 05-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Default P3 or D2+

I've been thinking about which of these to buy. A cowan d2+ or a samsung p3.

I was really liking the d2+ until I looked at some youtube videos and saw how messy the UI is. Thats a big minus for me.

The p3 seems almost perfect except that theres no sd slot on it. And by looking over the p3 forums here on abi.com, it seems that the chance of getting a unit that needs to be sent back to samsung in a few weeks for repairs or something is quite high. Is it just a vocal minority thats posting those threads?

The problem is that shipping the unit to repairs would be pretty much impossible for me.
I live in europe and I am going to be buying the thing through amazon or a similar page, have it shipped to a friend in the US and then he'll import it to me. So having to ship a broken unit back to the us from europe would cost me probably twice the amount a new unit would.

Is there a high risk of getting a broken P3 unit when you buy one? Would a d2+ be a safer investment?

What's a normal price for a 8gb p3 today? I'm seeing one for around 120$ on amazon, it was priced for 99$ in april, unfortunately I just missed that.

Last edited by jimlahey; 05-02-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

If you want a player that does video well, I'd have a look at the Cowon S9 or J3 when it comes out (it has a microSD slot.)

I'm not saying the P3 isn't a good player, just that there are other options than that and the D2+.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:19 PM

I knew about the s9. The cheapest one I could find of that was around 160$ on amazon. That was a bit out of my price range. I wanted something around 100 dollars -/+25$.

I've had a creative zen (lost it somehow) and an iRiver h340 (died). So I wanted something similar but still with some upgrades in sound quality or video and I didn't find many players like that in the 100-125$ price range except for the P3 and the D2+. Are there any more I'm missing? Touch screen is a plus for me as well

The thing that worries me about the P3 is the amount of posts by people that had to send theirs in for repairs. What I wanted to know is if that's just a vocal minority or if the P3 is known for having a high failure rate?

There's not nearly the same amount of repair threads on the d2+ forums so that worried me a little bit since I won't be able to send the thing in for repair if it breaks down few weeks after purchase.

So I want something that has a pretty good chance of lasting for at least a year.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

I had mine for a year and was happy with it - it is good value at that price and a definite upgrade from Creative.

There have been a few threads with people unhappy for one reason or another, but I would say a minority, definitely. People are more likely to post when something goes wrong, and there have been quite a few who, having gotten their P3, haven't come back to post at all.

Overall it's a good, solid DAP with excellent sound enhancements and it does video pretty well.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Samsung Moderator

There is no "high failure rate".
There is no confirmed build issue. It's not like the fragile P2's output for example.

The P3 works fine. Some people have problems with it as with any mp3 player. And don't forget that you are on a forum focusing on DAP. So of course there are some members who come here to discuss about their DAP, share some news, get information about firmwares etc... but there are overall members who sign up because they have a problem with their DAP. If they hadn't problem they would have not even thought about signing up on a web forum: ABI is not representative of the global market.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. It's good to hear that from people who have had some experience with the device

Any of you guys have any experience in accidently dropping the device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
And don't forget that you are on a forum focusing on DAP.
I know But the p3 forum seemed flooded with repair threads compared to the d2+ forum. Made me just a bit worried. Since I wont be able to send it in for repairs I just wanted to be absolutely sure it wasn't too common for p3 owners

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

I never dropped mine - it was pristine after a year. I'd recommend a case or, like me, using a cheap iPod sock or something for carrying it and using outside.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a P3 and it's a rock-solid player. Only a few have had issues, and it's only a small handful. I love my P3, and I now own a Sony X Series - I still won't sell my P3.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Thanks guys.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:45 AM

Have dropped once, glipped out of my fingers. Still looks brandnew