android
Old 05-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Headphones for P3

Hi everybody, I am searching a new headphone for my P3, i am looking for a headphone with which i can control sound level (and if possible skip to next-previous track and/or start-stop playback). I dont want a bluetooth headphone cause it kills the battery life, so my question is are there any headphones in the market which has the specs i needed?
Samsung YP-P3 8GB Black 2009-Present

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 AM

I'm afraid not. You can get headphones with in-line volume control, but none that skip tracks like that.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Skullcandy Hesh
Fantastic sound, volume control but no skipping tracks etc. I'm afraid no normal headphone can do that..

Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramDB View Post
Skullcandy Hesh
Quote:
Fantastic sound
Pfff.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Samsung Moderator

LOL BramDB, that was the today's joke!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
LOL BramDB, that was the today's joke!

Old 05-05-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Skullcandy Hesh
....... I'm afraid no normal headphone can do that..
Well, i am not a fan of apple( even tough i have an iphone3gs) but why does apple's bundled headphones with ipods and iphones can control both volume and skip /stop playback but other mp3 players( have crappy bundled headphones) not even have a chance of finding such headphones on the market. Forgive my ignorance but is that such an advanced technology or an extra chip that boosts cost or big bad apple had a patent about it so no one else can implement.

I mean come on i am sure that so many users of mp3 players need such headphones and even they dont hesitate to pay some extra bugs for this functionality but only apple is aware of that

Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 PM

apples headphones use bluetooth or wifi...
if wifi, it would be easy to say: NO
if they use bluetooth, I would say that it could be possible but the bluetooth of the ipods and iphones seems to have another different bluetooth profiles than the p3...because i can´t find any ipod or iphone of my classmates with bluetooth... only some mobiles....

...if it´s possible it MUST use bluetooth to do this....

Old 05-07-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsten View Post
apples headphones use bluetooth or wifi...
if wifi, it would be easy to say: NO
if they use bluetooth, I would say that it could be possible but the bluetooth of the ipods and iphones seems to have another different bluetooth profiles than the p3...because i can´t find any ipod or iphone of my classmates with bluetooth... only some mobiles....

...if it´s possible it MUST use bluetooth to do this....
Actually, it is possible for Apple or anyone for that matter to implement a control thru the headphone jack just as they use the headphone jack as an antenna or mic for telephony. I don't have a iphone and I don't have such a headphone for my 3rd gen touch (which I don't use for music so everybody suppress your flames) so I can't tell if its there and how well it works.

I don't know where you live or how hard you've searched but ipod touch and iphones do have bluetooth if they are 2nd or 3rd generation devices. Maybe your friends don't know what they have or you've haven't been clever enough to find it but it there. It supports A2DP and a some crude and rudimentary (non-standard, non-full featured) AVRCP.

To the OP:
You can do this readily on the P3 if you don't mind using a bluetooth headphone. Any BT stereo headphone with pause/play,ff,fr buttons will do. So you have a more advanced controller than what comes on Apple's wired or wireless solutions.

To answer the question about how come Apple does have controls and no one else has the same feature, the answer is simple. Apple is doing some non-standard thing that only Apple hardware supports. Only headphones that meet this non-standard method would work. Everyone else is not creating a non-stadard interface for thier headphone jack.

Last edited by pgh1969pa; 05-07-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post

To the OP:
You can do this readily on the P3 if you don't mind using a bluetooth headphone. Any BT stereo headphone with pause/play,ff,fr buttons will do. So you have a more advanced controller than what comes on Apple's wired or wireless solutions.

To answer the question about how come Apple does have controls and no one else has the same feature, the answer is simple. Apple is doing some non-standard thing that only Apple hardware supports. Only headphones that meet this non-standard method would work. Everyone else is not creating a non-stadard interface for thier headphone jack.
I already got a BT headphone, i was just searching for a less battery consuming option.

It is obvious that apple is a marketing genius and likes to have closed hardwares but i have to admit that they sometimes shine with their exclusive features.

You can find the pic of my bundled headphone with iphone and with the white controller attached to wire it is possible to control volume and playback. you can also use it with other mp3 players and phones but only for audio(as you can guess volume and playback control is only exclusive to apple products).

i dont think it is about standard or non standart production(if everybody cared about standard we would never see so many different usb and charge connector types). i think samsung and others just dont care about it, in fact nowadays no one cares about mp3 players. Everything is about cellphones and tablets now.

I am even afraid that sooner or later samsung will stop making only mp3 players and mp3 players will be just an app in cellphones. It is sad but market is aiming in that way

Old 05-08-2010, 05:52 PM

Fixating yourself about what Apple offers that Zune, Samsung, Cowon, Sony, Sandisk, Phillips, and Creative doesn't change the reality of the situation. If this is something you need, you got the wrong hardware. Buy an ipod.

It should've been obvious the reason you could not find the headphones you were looking for. If Samsung had implemented a TRRS jack, there would be a TRRS headphone in the box when you opened it. No TRRS phones in the package....no TRRS headphone jack. Thus no TRRS capability.

I don't think Samsung failed to implement TRRS is because as you say, " i think samsung and others just dont care about it". I think they target the greatest common demominator. They want the most compatible configuration available; a TRS jack.

Frankly, I could care less about TRRS or any 'feature' that attempts to lock you into a closed ecco-system.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I recall years ago buying an inline volume/track control adapter for a couple of my CreativeLabs DAPs, this one as a matter of fact. I still have it:

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-player-a...-31319538.html

While I can see the utility of such things, I personally don't find it so terrible to control the volume or select tracks from my DAPs themselves.

This is IMO, yet another reason why actual tactile buttons are superior to touch screens.

I can easily control both volume and tracks/play pause on all my DAPs while they are in my pockets, suits, jeans and otherwise - no need to even look.

Let's see you touchscreen guys do that!
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 AM

I'm using a bluetooth headphone from Jaybird. The model is the SB1 Sportsband and you can go to the following tracks or song by pressing a button on the headphone itself. There"s probably a model whithout the bluetooth. You can get those from J & R Electronics and the shipping is not expensive, even for Canada.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazou View Post
I'm using a bluetooth headphone from Jaybird. The model is the SB1 Sportsband and you can go to the following tracks or song by pressing a button on the headphone itself. There"s probably a model whithout the bluetooth. You can get those from J & R Electronics and the shipping is not expensive, even for Canada.
No model without bluetooth I'm afraid...