android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Windows Phones

Old 05-09-2010, 02:00 AM

OMG it would take me all day to compile a good list. I really want to make a list and I will someday and post it here.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-09-2010, 03:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well lets start with that phone that can play oblivion, thats a good place to start o_O

Old 05-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Well lets start with that phone that can play oblivion, thats a good place to start o_O
Out of morbid curiosity, I decided to research it myself (even before his ban, he wasn't going to give any information to back up his claims). It seems that he's referring to Oblivion Mobile.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/ob...e_overview.htm

Anyway, when he comes back, he can shed some light on this if he'd like.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
Look closer at the appstore, there are a lot of apps that say "this only works for _____ android device" There are a lot of reasons one app wont work for another similarly spec'ed device. Internal hardware can be quite different... take for example "droid light" app. The hardware controller for the LED camera light is specific on the Mot Droid and wont work on any LED on any other phone.

And is it the developers fault. I guess if you could say that- but how reasonable is it for a developer to test their program on 100+ hardware platforms?
I see where you are coming from, but a majority of the core apps have no problems. For the Droid light app, that's a hardware difference. Just as with anything, you have the pros and cons of different hardware. I think its nice having a vast array of phones to choose from.

In the end with this, it really just depends on which type of Android you buy. You can do the official "with Google" phone and not have any hiccups, or have the option of going custom versions. I think the Google branded phones are pretty locked down in what they want.

With that said, I would love to see some more uniformity across the line. I do like the Windows 7 minimum requirements for everything, and wish Google would have implemented them. But in general, the people realizing these issues are the ones who, more than likely, will have the better phones out, and thus not run into the issues.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack4L View Post
Yes, WM 6 is terrible, although I hear alot of companies still use it as their "platform" for company phones, and alot of companies are very wary of switching to new hardware especially in these economical times. Same goes with Symbian, BlackBerries (Although, they are almost nonexsistant in the EU) and so on... I've yet to meet a company employee that tells me their company has switched over to Android or iPhones, but companies are always the last to follow these trends. Ofcourse I dont travel all that much but what little I get to mingle I just havn't seen it yet.

I only got a WM phone (Samsung Omnia) because I knew it was the best 3G phone on the market at the time (Battery life-wise). I can actually get 6 hours of constant surfing with 3G on AND WiFi on, which just blows everything else out of the water, even current generation phones, and thats with the standard battery, get an extended one and you get get about 8-9 hours. I've gone through about 4 batteries now though The main reason I ever got a 3G phone, was because I wanted to use it to connect my wifi enabled devices to 3G networks.

I know lots...and I mean lots...of people in the EU that have blackberries...even my father in law has one...Although Im Canadian Im not a blackberry fan and the company I work for uses windows phones...

Old 05-19-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
the whole market pisses me off. to hell with US cellphones In japan they pick up anything new and are bold in USA its all about some flashy apps that are not much different then the websites. in Japan they got phones as good as my mom's 2 year old laptop. in USA we got shit like the iphone.
It would be unwise to dismiss the influence of the iPhone. Previous to the iPhone, the smartphone market was limited to Blackberry OS, WinMo, Symbian, and Palm OS.

When the iPhone exploded on to the market, it proved that the current mobile OS's of the time were sorely outdated in terms of usability and responsiveness; it single-handedly transformed the landscape of the entire mobile market to be touch-screen oriented, and it introduced the Application Store as a major selling point for smartphones. Sure, the original hash of the iPhone OS was missing some key features (the exclusion of which was mindboggling: i.e., copy/paste), but it was an extraordinary first build and it laid a foundation for a truly great platform.

But beyond else, the iPhone shifted the focus of what constitutes a good mobile OS from feature/spec lists to actual experience. Now, the actual experience regarding a mobile OS is always taken into consideration when evaluating a mobile platform. Would this have happened without the iPhone? Probably, but it would have taken longer.

I have not heard of these Japanese phones that are as good as laptops (a note: 2 year laptops are generally not 'good').
Applications are certainly a step backwards as far as web 2.0 is concerned (which isn't 'bad,' really), but they have been a creative outlet for many developers. You CANNOT dispute the influence of the App Store.

Additionally, I hope you realize that data costs are of course going to be inflated for the services in the US; Japan most likely has a far higher server density and therefore, get '4G'+ speeds for the same prices or lower. Same for South Korea (the Wi-Fi there is faster than our broadband :O).

Last edited by weedalin; 05-19-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 AM

the oblivion reference was a phone that had the specs to play oblivion. not nessicarly the game itself. OMG.

looks like some people on here are too serious.

like I can say some of the mp3 players could play some older games if they had the right software setup. LOL.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 AM

I don't think that it's that some people here are too serious but that the quality of information turns to shit when someone goes on wild tangents about a product(s) without fact, truth, etc.

This forum is supposed to be a fun place to discuss tech topics that is a give, but when you degrade the conversation with crap like the above that does not add to the conversation and just ends badly.

You can say a lot of things like mp3 could play some older games if they had the software capabilities, but why would you waste your time and others with non factual theorizing that has absolutely no bearing on the discussion at hand?

One thing about abi as well is that it is not an ipod/iphone/apple hate site, it is an "alternatives exist in a saturated market" site. Your prominent hate for apple products in this thread and past posts is just as bad as those ferverous fan boys whom you so despise, we are here to educate and offer alternatives not talk trash about apple.

That's all i got for now.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 05-20-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
the oblivion reference was a phone that had the specs to play oblivion. not nessicarly the game itself. OMG.

looks like some people on here are too serious.

like I can say some of the mp3 players could play some older games if they had the right software setup. LOL.

So rather than being 'too serious,' you'd rather us be trolls?

I don't think so. Hardware always has limits, and even the most well coded software will not be able to surpass that. That would be absurd. That's like saying the Zune HD could run a full version of Ocarina of Time with the right software, which is impossible.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:14 AM

I'd still consider myself still on point in this thread. So far after all this time of owning the HD2 I find myself regretting not getting an Android device. Recently I noticed that more and more developers are complaining about developing for Windows Mobile and moving onto Android, iPhone for app development. They claim it's just easier to develop for them than Windows Mobile devices. Until Windows Mobile 7 comes around I still do not recommend it. If you like using a simple whatever phone then maybe I can recommend it, but just know that any cool new apps that are coming out for the iPhone or Android wont be there for Windows Mobile. No one cares about it for now and no one is gonna try with it either.