android
Old 05-09-2010, 07:13 AM

Default Poor Battery Life :(

Hey

Lately the battery life on my fuze appears to have dramatically decreased, recently it went from a full charge to half in 3 hours or so. I was first under the impression that it was better to run down the battery and then fully charge it, but then i read that this is not the best thing to do, so i stopped doing it after I did it once. I've used both wall chargers and the USB connection of the PC to charge the fuze but on a couple of occasions I forgot to unplug the fuze and left it in the computer overnight, I cant remember if the computer was on or not but the battery life was even worse from then on.
So I'm thinking do I need to replace the battery in it? has anyone done this before? and if so, is it a difficult process?
EDIT: Forgot to mention, I am running the Fuze on the lowest brightness, I am using a custom EQ, the backlight is at 10 seconds, and It has an 8GB memory card, I am playing mp3s of around 192kbps to 320 kbps, and the fuze is 2 or 3 months old if that helps at all
Help would be most appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by lill_mafia; 05-09-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: forgot to mention something important

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 AM

Have you tested how long the battery life lasts? Play it from start to stop and see how long it goes. If it is lower than the stated battery life, it may be due to the memory card. If it is drastically lower, then something may be wrong. But, I'd test it rather than go by the silly battery display (which can be as wrong as a campaign speech).

Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A SanDisk developer once stated in their forums that using a custom EQ was a battery drain.....I believe he said "of up to 10%". I used to get decent battery life (20+ hours) with an external memory card, but I wasn't using the EQ, either. The battery meter is also far from linear in its progression downward, as well.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Only 10%? I think custom equilation eats much more battery power than that. Using a different format than mp3 will probably decrease battery life by at least 20%. Using protected files will eat the power even faster.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey lill Mafia: Check this out...some good info:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...tery-guide.php

I also have a Fuze and most of my settings match yours, though lately I have not been using EQ. My Fuze runs an average of approximately 14-16 hours consistently.

I fear yours may be defective if your Fuze is fairly new.

How old is your Fuze?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm sure mine is defective now, it's DAYS old and I'm getting 8hrs on a full charge, vol max, NO EQ, brightness under half way and playing nuthing but mp3's. The only thing is that its playing from a 16gb mem card thats only 10gig full. But still... 8hrs wtf!

Might have to take it back

Old 01-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Even at max volume it should run better than 8 hours.....my rockboxed V1 Fuze does better! I think it is defective.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh i'll contact the seller today, he has 3 others left I think, maybe one of those is performing as it should.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 AM

hey bruce, whats your memory card make? sansa? i remember i read somewhere that anyother make than sandisk reduces battery life...i am not sure if this is true, but in case you brought the new sansa, hows the battery life with the same memory card?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh it was a 16gb sandisk microsd card. Have a new player (this time a red refurbed 4gb one) and its behaving normally. I truly rekon the brand new ones have just had too much shelf time.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 AM

everybody's got different colours....i just have the black one....wish i had chosen white instead

also, now that you have a new Fuze, whats the battery life? in rockbox too (simple usage), because i feel my battery goes down very fast in rockbox even with the 3.7.1 build.

also note: this time your battery discharges and you charge it again, u go to Settings>System Settings>info, u'd see charged %age rising up rapidly. dont believe those numbers while charging (scroll up and down on the same page and they change), believe the moving battery charging indicator.

i think i'd have to test my battery with OF and RB now.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm waiting on my case to arrive for my new fuze so i haven't RB this one yet (I did the last one that I took back). I don't like to use a nice player without protecting it first but once that case arrives I'll be field testing it for sure!
I got 21hrs 35mins on OF (max volume setting but NO headphones being driven), I'm sure RB doesnt chew up that much more battery life (again i guess it depends what settings you use tho). If i get 17-18hrs rockboxed on a player this size i will be very happy. I'll let u know once i get it set up proper (look out for a post with pics etc)

Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 AM

@bruce, thanks for the info, but what is the bitrate of the songs u r testing the battery life with? i mean i have a mix of 128, 320 and 192 kbps songs. i have to do a more extensive test but the problem is that i want to do it at nite because thats the time i am not actually using it hehe.also, 21hrs at what bitrate? if 320 then its good..(i had an apple ipod 160GB, and the time i tested the battery lif, it actually gave me 30hrs of playback irrespective of the bitrate, and that too, it was a HDD based player why cant sansa deliver better man?) also, dont u think plugging in the headphones would be better (atleast 32ohms) and putting an album with a constant bitrate of 320 or 128 or your choice be better? we can do one thing, am still using the OF, so i can line up 320Kbps album on repeat and check the battery life and you do so in rockbox maybe (i am saying 320 because most of the files i have are 320kbps)...i hope i have a good battery...dont want to wait for a new player man.i'm in india so after ordering 14-21 days is the wait period.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Have a search for posts I done, I gave a far greater detailed account of my batter y testing elsewhere. In short I got almost 24hrs on the defective player and nearly 23hrs on the good working player playing a mixture of bitrate mp3 files. Remember I took the defective fuze back as it LOST its charge TWICE as fast turned off, bizarre as its sounds thats what it did, charge full in 5hrs, turn device off, 12hrs later dead :/ BUT had i left it on might have gotten another 23hr playback :S

Anyways, I could have done stricter testing, cycled a 128 over and over again using the stock buds, volume low and using the stock buds (so as to try and create the manufactuers claim of 24hrs), but when u consider I got almost 23hrs from cycling over a variety of mp3 files from 128-320 at max volume I feel this more accurately portrays what im GONNA get in real life. The only x factor in my testing was that i had no headphones plugged in which should shorten the test, by how much i dunno, but it should.
Like i said, go look for another thread i posted about the fuze's battery life as my testing was more detailed (on the faulty one at least).
I don't think its worth me doing a RB test and u doing a OF test, we have different fuze's, just do yer own tests of RB vs fuze. Find a day yer not going to use it, start it a couple of hours after u wake, hopefully it will still be going the next morning u wake.
What kinda times are u getting so far?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:56 AM

i noticed that from the start of the point where i get the Red battery (low battery indication), my fuze runs for atleast 4-4:30 hours. the confusion was actually created because of the fact that from the time i've had my fuze, i've used it quite randomly, the first few days were the days where i kept realizing this album's not there, this song's not there (plug it in everytime and put the song/album in) so it was like charge-discharge charge-discharge.

actually the thing was that i had ordered a 4GB sansa fuze and the seller (ebay) by mistake sent me a 2GB one.so i used that one for 20+days and when the new one arrived (My 4GB one), i just put in the songs (and behaved) as if it wasnt actually new.i find the fuze's battery good (atleast with the 2GB player i had), when trying to drain its battery as fast as i could, i used rockbox, turned the screen on full brightness and changed the setting to keep it on all the time (i noticed that 2GB fuze became hot at the right/left corner i dont remember, So now i kinda know what to do with my fuze and what not to do ).....so this time i'm finally going to pay attention to my battery spans....in general, it lasts about three days and the third day too, i have to keep it playing for the last 4 to 5 hours to discharge it....maybe its working right, but am not too sure of the 3 days....with rockbox, i can see the time left displayed on the screen, and it decreases so fast that i am afraid of My Fuze's battery life on Rockbox being less.Thats one of the reason i am not using RB.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Make sure you have yer settings on RB fair, that is to have the screen go off after 15secs of not using it etc. I'm sure i have read that using RB does NOT really overall use up much more battery than OF, perhaps chews up an additional 2hrs of overal time. So that for me would be getting 19hrs instead of 21hrs, for all the things that RB does thats a payoff I'm happy to live with.

Rockbox changed my life

Old 02-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Administrator

No need for guessing. You can use Rockbox's Battery Benchmark plugin to determine actual runtime in Rockbox. If you look here you'll see that Rockbox increases battery life in the V2 ports. It doesn't do that for the V1's.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice skip, yeh i recall that app existing for RB, didn't know it INCREASES battery time on V2 fuzes, nice

Old 02-16-2011, 01:51 PM
Administrator

That's all V2 ports. That includes the V2 Clip, all Clip+ and the Fuze V2. I get close to 15hrs. on my Clip+ using it normally. Not "turn it on and leave it for testing". I never let it run down so it's not that big a deal. It's nice to know that if something comes up or I forget I won't be stuck without music.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the info skip...mite turn myself to RB now...but, i had kept my Fuze aside (playing music, connected with headphones, 80% volume, bitrate ranging from 192 to 320, but mostly 320kbps), and its been doing good so far. it has been 17 hours continuous run for the Fuze(and now its 10% or under 10%). and thats telling me that it wont work more than 3 hours...good right? lets see where this ends...if the Fuze is doing so good with 320kbps even, it would really be goooood