android
Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

sounds to me that yer fuze is performing perfectly normal, now RB that sucker and perservere with it

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-17-2011, 03:55 AM
Administrator

@psgarcha92: Have you ABXed that you can actually hear a difference between the high bitrates you use and a lower one? That significantly impacts battery life also. This isn't a personal attack or a put down aimed at you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Instead of guessing or taking the advice of someone that doesn't hear the same as me I'd ABX with foobar2000. That way you can determine exactly you can hear or not. If you can't reliably identify a FLAC file from a lower bitrate .mp3 why eat up disk space with a bunch of bits you can't hear?

ABXing will allow you determine the bitrate that is transparent to you. Once you determine that you can then target the bitrate that will work best for you. The difference in file size will then be determined by what bitrate you decide to use.
The idea doesn't just apply to file size it also applies to battery life. The test bitrate the manufacturers use is 128 kbps. Believe it or not that's transparent to quite a few people. Especially if they're not using fairly expensive headphones.

A few years ago I was using a LAME -V quality setting that was massive overkill because I read that others used it for the best sound. I thought something was wrong with my equipment or my ears when I couldn't hear the difference between that and some 128 kbps .wma tunes I had bought.

I didn't know that since I was using the stock buds it was impossible to hear the difference. While I was researching what was wrong I found 2 things that have made a huge difference in how I go about getting the best sound for me.

1. I buy the best headphones I can afford.

2. I ABX to find what I can really hear using those headphones.

Putting those two together I found I could fit a LOT more music on my DAPs and get a nice boost in battery life without losing a bit in SQ. I did have to boost that quality setting once when I stepped up the quality of my headphones and I noticed a definite difference between the lower setting and the next higher one.

You should use the bitrate or quality setting that sounds good to you. Just letting you know that it may be possible to increase battery life and maximize storage space with a little ABX testing.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 AM

@bruce, i had RB'd it the day it arrived man!, after the battery test (i got 18 hours at 320kbps, and i had fiddled a bit with my Fuze already so i would say i would have gotten better results if i left it alone ) i have been on RB, and, its loading songs slowly, i might have to reinstall RB....also,

@skip thanks man!, and i'd tell u the story: i've owned an ipod nano 1st gen, 2nd gen, 4th gen, 6th gen, and ipod classic 160 GB. the 1st gen nano and ipod classic died on me, and with all the ipods before the classic, i had been using 3rd party earphones (not the best quality, but earbuds from Philips and others which did not cost much)....but then one day, somebody showed me the Sony Walkman Stock IEMs, and they were my i-want-to-have-those earphones. and came along the affordable EP630s, Panasonic Headphones and some British Airways headphones. Going along these, i realised there are a lot more sounds in the music that i used to here, and i needed better Headphones.i used my EP630s for 2 years or so, and IEMs make u hate 128kbps (well, atleast make me hate 128kbps mp3s ). when my ipod classic died, i brought an ipod shuffle 1 gb. the memory wasnt even enough for me, so i had to convert my fav songs from 320Kbps to 128kbps AAC (people say 128kbps is good), but with my Sennheiser HD212 pros, and all the amps i had (Fiio E3, Cmoy and headbanger) all i could see was that 128kbps was severely disabled. with the headphones and my setup rite now (Sansa Fuze and HD212Pros minus the amp) i can tell you if the song is less than 320kbps anytime (without knowing if it is or not) and believe me or not, i've been correct 99 out of 100 times. 128kbps doesnt have all the sounds and its kinds crappy (a LOT of artifacts) most of the time. 192kbps is ok but still leaves something that should've been there.the best that suits my ears is 320kbps coz i cant tell the difference between 320 and flac atleast with these headphones...and i am waiting for my HeadDirect RE0s. So i'd say, i havent properly done ABX testing, but, but, but i totally noticed the things that were missing in the 128kbps and 192kbps songs. 320kbps fills my hunger.....and the battery life of my Fuze is fine too. The max time i need the fuze to be working is 7 hours and if its giving me 14-15 with normal working, then i am happy...might even make those MintyBoost chargers if i have to.

Also, the problem/s i had been having with RockBox is/are
i)i like the OF's sound signature. how to get the same on RB? i dont have time to play with EQ right now atleast
ii)whenever i initialize my Database, loading of songs from the Memory card becomes slow (its like a song is playing, i push the Next button, the current song plays for 3 secs and then the new one plays), and i kind of dont like it.

also, skip, i've read on wikipedia that .ogg 128kbps has more detail then 128mp3, do u think switching to 128kbps .ogg do good to my battery life keeping the quality good? if you've tried?

Thanks!

BTW, dont u think there should be a Battery Benchmark utility for RB that logs even when the device turned on and off?

Last edited by psgarcha92; 02-17-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgarcha92 View Post
@bruce, i had RB'd it the day it arrived man!, after the battery test (i got 18 hours at 320kbps, and i had fiddled a bit with my Fuze already so i would say i would have gotten better results if i left it alone ) i have been on RB, and, its loading songs slowly, i might have to reinstall RB....
I never have a problem with songs taking awhile to load. They all load from my 16gb sd card, and I have a variety of 128-320's. I use crossfade alot tho which makes moving from one track to another more fluid (no pause) and I like that (of course i turn it off when im not shuffling tunes etc).

Quote:
Also, the problem/s i had been having with RockBox is/are
i)i like the OF's sound signature. how to get the same on RB? i dont have time to play with EQ right now atleast
ii)whenever i initialize my Database, loading of songs from the Memory card becomes slow (its like a song is playing, i push the Next button, the current song plays for 3 secs and then the new one plays), and i kind of dont like it.
on point i) I personally have the eq on default and set to OFF anyway. I only alter the Bass (via the shortcut home press) up and down depending on the songs being played. To me with my ER6's that sounds good. I may tinker around with the EQ settings later but for now they are fine.

on point ii) I don't have this problem, I do recalls some settings for the database that I switched on, perhaps you need to turn these features on as well (i think it does updating and initalizing in the background), it might help with this issue you have.

Quote:
BTW, dont u think there should be a Battery Benchmark utility for RB that logs even when the device turned on and off?
There is. You really need to read the RockBox manual for yer fuze (or at least skim read it) and READ THIS THREAD properly as skip already talked about this.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 PM

@bruce, i know there is a battery benchmark utility.i read the manual, and the answer to my quest is not mentioned. i wanted to ask, if i turn my player off while the Benchmark is running, then, when i turn the player back on, will it log the data from where it ended? @skip, help please.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
So i'd say, i havent properly done ABX testing, but, but, but i totally noticed the things that were missing in the 128kbps and 192kbps songs. 320kbps fills my hunger.....and the battery life of my Fuze is fine too.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....uiet_listening.

Many have made the same claims as you. Many have, after ABXing, found out that they were wrong. Please ABX some MP3s at V2 against their uncompressed WAVs and report back to us.

http://www.foobar2000.org/,
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_abx.