android
Old 05-21-2010, 04:04 PM

If it doesn't, I'll try MediaMonkey next. One question though: when the files are transferred, is the folder structure transferred as well?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Strephon:

Using Winamp, I am guessing yes, the on device folder structure gets created properly on my Sony E. But I can only guess because Winamp does not display the folder structure of my E - only MediaMonkey can do this for me.

MediaMonkey Sony E Folder Structure:

Winamp does not display the actual folder structure on the Sony E. But this is OK for me as I actually prefer the way Winamp shows me my E:

Also, for playlists. Winamp is able to create/delete/mode new playlists directly on the E itself. It seems using MediaMonkey, I must create the playlist on my PC and then sync and transfer to my Sony.

The Winamp way I simply:
- copy music to my Sony E;
- Create a new playlist on my Sony E;
- Go through each artist/album/song and add whatever tracks i want to the playlist, all directly from the E.

So, in this sense, i never "sync" - a concept which I think gets too confused.

Good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-21-2010, 06:53 PM

I found that Winamp does not copy my directory structure over to the player when I sync the files. That may mean I didn't set up the synchronization settings properly. However, I am having better luck with MediaMonkey though not even MediaMonkey will do the job perfectly. My directory structure for my media is like this:

Code:
<Genre>
|__<A-E>
     |__<Artist>
          |__<Album> (if applicable)
MediaMonkey does allow me to set it up somewhat like this, except it can't set up the alphabetical subdivisions I use. The thing I believe will happen with the transfer is that my compilation albums in my player will all get split up by artist then album, which won't be good.

That was the one reason I liked using the Content Transfer software. I could set the structure just as I liked it and bang! I was done. But...the date tags were intolerable. I'll just have to see what I can do.

EDIT: To solve the problem with the compilation albums being split, I need to edit my tags so the track number reads 1/14 instead of 1.

Last edited by Strephon Alkhalikoi; 05-21-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added information.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strephon Alkhalikoi View Post
I found that Winamp does not copy my directory structure over to the player when I sync the files. That may mean I didn't set up the synchronization settings properly. However, I am having better luck with MediaMonkey though not even MediaMonkey will do the job perfectly. My directory structure for my media is like this:

Code:
<Genre>
|__<A-E>
     |__<Artist>
          |__<Album> (if applicable)
MediaMonkey does allow me to set it up somewhat like this, except it can't set up the alphabetical subdivisions I use. The thing I believe will happen with the transfer is that my compilation albums in my player will all get split up by artist then album, which won't be good.

That was the one reason I liked using the Content Transfer software. I could set the structure just as I liked it and bang! I was done. But...the date tags were intolerable. I'll just have to see what I can do.

EDIT: To solve the problem with the compilation albums being split, I need to edit my tags so the track number reads 1/14 instead of 1.
It is possible to set up MediaMonkey (MM) to set up a folder structure in a manner similar to what you mentioned above. The main difference is that you can have it subdivided by the first letter of the artist's name rather than a range of letters. I use the following folder structure for my music library (the setting is located on the menu under Tools >> Options >> Auto-Organize):

<Album Artist:1>\<Album Artist>\<Album>

The "<Album Artist:1>" sets up a first level of folders with the first letter of the album artist's name.

I prefer to arrange my collection by the album artist rather than the artist. One of the reasons is that it easily allows me to keep compilation albums together by making the album artist "Various Artists" while the artist contains the actual name of the artist. The above arrangement puts all of my compilation albums into a folder named "Various Artists."

It also allows me to keep related albums togther. As an example: I have many albums released by a radio comedy team named "Bob & Tom." Each CD contains a large number of different artists (more than 20 on the typical album). To keep all of the tracks together, I set the album artist as "Bob & Tom" and all of the albums are gathered together in one folder.

To get a folder structure similar to the way that you want it you can use this set up:

<Genre><Artist:1>\<Artist>\<Album>

Using your example, the above would give you a structure like this:

<Genre>
|_<A>
|__<Artist>
|___<Album>
|_<B>
|__<Artist>
|___<Album>
|_<C>
|__<Artist>
|___<Album>
|_<D>
|__<Artist>
|___<Album>
|_<E>
|__<Artist>
|___<Album>

On the subject of Content Transfer, something to mention: If you drag-and-drop your folders to your player the folder structure will be maintained. However, if you let it sync with a folder or multiple folders it will arrange the files on your player in the following manner:

|_<Artist>
|__<Album>

I hope this helps.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 05-22-2010, 04:43 PM

That actually is quite helpful, regarding MediaMonkey. With Content Transfer I always moved the files by drag and drop rather than by synchronizing, simply because it kept the directory structure. I admit that I got a little frustrated with both Content Transfer AND MediaMonkey because...

1. MediaMonkey would take care of the dates but wouldn't preserve or approximate my directory structure.

2. Content Transfer would take care of the directory structure but ignored pre-1900 dates. FYI, this affects 194 out of 3983 files on my player.

I'll give MediaMonkey a try again, but I also have made Sony aware of the problem with Content Transfer and they wish me to call them. I'd much rather go through a chat than talk, as I tend to write better than I speak and can get my ideas across a lot better that way.

EDIT: The reason I don't use "Various Artists" in my tags is that I cannot stand seeing "Various Artists" pop up in my files. I like to know who actually performed the piece.

Last edited by Strephon Alkhalikoi; 05-22-2010 at 04:52 PM.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Reading the last posts in this thread, what I see is an example of file transfer in the "drag and drop" way in mind with a "tag logic" syncing software. Thats' quite strange.
By the way, CDMP3PlayerFan, what you make us discover here with the <Genre><Artist:1>\<Artist>\<Album> pattern setting is interesting, and great screenshots Lestatar !

Old 05-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
...SNIPPED...EDIT: The reason I don't use "Various Artists" in my tags is that I cannot stand seeing "Various Artists" pop up in my files. I like to know who actually performed the piece.
Strephon, this issue has been discussed before. i also dislike seeing "Various Artists", but sometimes this is unavoidable. See this post for how I work around this....great info in that thread as well. Perhaps a similar technique could work for you or give you ideas on your own workarounds/process.

CDMP3PlayerFan is a tagging/MediaMonkey whiz!

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...7&postcount=32
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-22-2010, 06:35 PM

I did have a long diatribe in this post here, but I deleted it. All I need to say is that I found a solution that works for me: ditching MTP completely. I followed the FAQ in the A810 section and switched the Sony driver over to MSC. Something I should have done from the beginning rather than fight with software.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad you found a solution that works for you! :-)
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-22-2010, 07:17 PM

Well, I want to thank everyone for their help, especially you and CDMP3PlayerFan. If the forum had a way of issuing karma, y'all would get some from me.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Strephon: No worries - this is why we are all here... :-)

Enjoy!
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
That actually is quite helpful, regarding MediaMonkey. With Content Transfer I always moved the files by drag and drop rather than by synchronizing, simply because it kept the directory structure. I admit that I got a little frustrated with both Content Transfer AND MediaMonkey because...

1. MediaMonkey would take care of the dates but wouldn't preserve or approximate my directory structure.

2. Content Transfer would take care of the directory structure but ignored pre-1900 dates. FYI, this affects 194 out of 3983 files on my player.

I'll give MediaMonkey a try again, but I also have made Sony aware of the problem with Content Transfer and they wish me to call them. I'd much rather go through a chat than talk, as I tend to write better than I speak and can get my ideas across a lot better that way.

EDIT: The reason I don't use "Various Artists" in my tags is that I cannot stand seeing "Various Artists" pop up in my files. I like to know who actually performed the piece.
I apologize for not being clear. I put "Various Artists" in the "Album Artist" tag, but I put the actual artist in the "Artist" tag. My player doesn't display the Album Artist, it displays the Artist. I use Album Artist to keep my songs organized, with the albums staying together.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
Reading the last posts in this thread, what I see is an example of file transfer in the "drag and drop" way in mind with a "tag logic" syncing software. Thats' quite strange.
By the way, CDMP3PlayerFan, what you make us discover here with the <Genre><Artist:1>\<Artist>\<Album> pattern setting is interesting, and great screenshots Lestatar !
One of the thing I like best about MediaMonkey (MM) is that it allows me to organize my files any way that I want via tags. For example, in <Artist:1> the ":1" truncates the "Artist" tag to one letter (it works with other tags too) and allows me to create a folder for each first character of an artist's name and then puts each artist in their folder. MM also allows me to use tags to name my songs the way that I want. Right now, I name my MP3 songs as follows: <Title> [<Artist>].mp3 (to reduce the chance of duplicates using drag-and-drop since I prefer to drop all of my songs into one folder on my player).

If I want to change the way my files are organized, I just alter the patterns and MM will reorganize my folder structure and file names during the next scan. The only drawback is that if the music library is large it might take a while to accomplish this (I have a library of approximately 26,000 songs and it usually takes more than an hour to accomplish this).

BTW, I looked back at my previous post and the pattern should have been "<Genre>\<Artist:1>\<Artist>\<Album>". Omitting the left slash between "<Genre>" and "<Artist:1>" would create folders like this:

Easy ListeningA
Easy ListeningB
RockA
RockB
WorldE
WorldF
WorldH

"<Genre>\<Artist:1>" would create folders like this:

Easy Listening
- A
- B
Rock
- A
- B
World
- E
- F
- H
MediaMonkey 4

Old 05-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Well, I want to thank everyone for their help, especially you and CDMP3PlayerFan. If the forum had a way of issuing karma, y'all would get some from me.
You are welcome. I enjoy helping people where I can.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 05-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
One of the thing I like best about MediaMonkey (MM) is that it allows me to organize my files any way that I want via tags.
Thank you again for the corrected MM tricks. But as I understand that complicated patterns for organization prevents from having thousand of items on each folder when browsing files on a PC, I still don't get what is the use of this when transfering to a portable player. I imagine that if you "sync" a to backup library using MM you need to make sure that the file tree is preserved. But if I tag my files why would I search for files inside my Walkman by traversing a "Genre\Letter\etc" file tree? Aren't tags made to avoid this trouble?

Old 05-23-2010, 01:07 PM

I want the files on my media player to have the same file structure as on my hard drive, because it makes it easier for me to switch files in and out through simple drag and drop. I use Windows Media Player 12 and even then I use the Folder view.

Tags have their uses though, especially if you're randomly playing an entire genre or if you're using a playlist. You don't have to cycle through to the folder to find out what the song is that way.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I want the files on my media player to have the same file structure as on my hard drive, because it makes it easier for me to switch files in and out through simple drag and drop. I use Windows Media Player 12 and even then I use the Folder view.
But the more sub-folders you create the more complicated it is to copy?
If I have "Reggae/S/Steel Pulse/1984/Earth Crisis", if I drag the album folder, 5 folder levels must be created even if it's the only Reggae album I put on the player this week. As a modern device can already browse by artist, album or date using tags, all those patterns are so vain. Of course if you must use your player as a storage device where to look for files, you are forced to maintain an old fashion file organization. What a burden!
Quote:
Tags have their uses though, especially if you're randomly playing an entire genre or if you're using a playlist. You don't have to cycle through to the folder to find out what the song is that way.
I am always amazed when CDMP3PlayerFan shows us powerful tricks you can use with MM that are not possible with a portable player. But, for example, once your smart playlists are created with your PC manager, I believe the magic is to ignore to way files are copied to the device.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
But the more sub-folders you create the more complicated it is to copy?
If I have "Reggae/S/Steel Pulse/1984/Earth Crisis", if I drag the album folder, 5 folder levels must be created even if it's the only Reggae album I put on the player this week. As a modern device can already browse by artist, album or date using tags, all those patterns are so vain. Of course if you must use your player as a storage device where to look for files, you are forced to maintain an old fashion file organization. What a burden!
I am always amazed when CDMP3PlayerFan shows us powerful tricks you can use with MM that are not possible with a portable player. But, for example, once your smart playlists are created with your PC manager, I believe the magic is to ignore to way files are copied to the device.
I think the key is to organize the music in a way that allows you to easily access your music in a way that works for you. While multiple levels of folders would be more complicated than a simpler structure, it would allow you to more easily pinpoint the precise music that you want.

However, since I use MediaMonkey (MM) to manage my music I haven't had to worry too much about the way my music is organized on my hard drive. If would be much more important to me if I loaded music on my player via drag-and-drop or did a great of direct file work (although I do use MP3Tag from time to time). It is with this in mind that I arrange my files on my hard drive as I do since I do like to keep my music organized, and since MM takes care of the actual work of keeping my music organized it's no work for me.

One of the reasons I use "<Album Artist:1>\<Album Artist>\<Album>" when organizing my files is that it keeps all of the tracks for each album in the same folder and ensures that I don't have an excessive number of folders at any level. I have many albums that would have tracks scattered throughout my collection if I arranged them by the artist and/or other tags, and if I put all of the album artist folders in the same folder I'd end up with more than 1,000 folders in that one folder.

In the same way, I use autoplaylists to give me ways of accessing my music in ways not possible on my player via just tag browsing. As an example, I sometimes like to access music based on mood and an autoplaylist allow me to do this on my player.
MediaMonkey 4

Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
...SNIPPED...I am always amazed when CDMP3PlayerFan shows us powerful tricks you can use with MM that are not possible with a portable player. But, for example, once your smart playlists are created with your PC manager, I believe the magic is to ignore to way files are copied to the device.
I couldn't agree more. CDMP3PlayerFan is a MediaMonkey and music organization guru to me. I have yet to take advantage of some of the techniques he mentions, but only because I am too lazy to do it.

CDMP3PlayerFan is my own go-to person with stuff like this...Sorry buddy, you're on the hook - serves you right for being so organized and good at this stuff.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
I think the key is to organize the music in a way that allows you to easily access your music in a way that works for you.
Truth!
My had drive setup is organized in a way that probably wouldn't make sense to anyone else, but I get it. Some of it is broken up into- codec/artist/album/song......some of it is music source/artist/album/song. I don't do any genre sorting at all on the hard drive.

I could drag and drop if I wanted to....I know where the stuff is.... but I prefer to load my players with MediaMonkey. I open the "Location" tree and browse from there so that I am adding the right file to my players. I do it this way because I have some duplicates....albums that I have in FLAC, and also lossy conversions of said FLACs...the conversions are what go on my players.(well, they wouldn't go on my Sony players anyways, but I don't want them on my Clip+ either).

Like I said.....might not make sense to anyone else, but it works for me.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 05-24-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: capitalization