android
Old 08-17-2008, 12:00 AM

Default Config.dat for S3 firmware uprade?

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade my yp-s3 to the 1.4 Korean firmware on the main page. The firmware upgrade works but I can get it to accept the config.dat and change it to being Korean UMS.

i can't find any threads referring to the S3 just the S2.

this is what i was trying:

YP-P3
KR KR UMS

does anyone know the right info to put in the config file?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-17-2008, 12:05 AM

well i just realized i had it set up as P3 instead of S3, so i fixed that, its now KR firmware, but it still doesn't seem to be in UMS mode

Old 08-17-2008, 12:45 AM

well if anyone else with an S3 attempts it. heres the correct info to put in your config.dat file.

YP-S3
KR KO UMS

originally i had yp-p3 in there, i think because i was figuring it out from the p2 thread. and i also change the 2nd the second KO instead of KR 9saw this setup in the s5 thread), all it does is changes the language to Korean, but i guess it doesn't excecute the UMS command unless it works. so change the send KR to KO, it boots in korean but with ums, managed to navigate to the menu to get it back english. now i can use it on my main xp computer!

Old 08-17-2008, 04:58 AM
Samsung Moderator

OK, thank you for the information.
That may help others later

ps: No triple post here. Use the "edit" function instead. Thanx

Old 10-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Hello

I just download the last Korean firmware (YP-S3_MSC_VER_1.05) and I only see a S3.ROM in the zip file... do I have to create manually a Config.dat file?

And is the MSC version support the album cover?

Thx!!

Old 10-12-2008, 06:15 PM

It works! My S3 is now in MSC mode! Thx

Last edited by clown418; 10-13-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:14 AM

Default Samsung YP-S3 v1.05 Firmware?

Hello,
I have a Samsung YP-S3. Could you tell me where you got the latest Korean firmware (YP-S3_MSC_VER_1.05)?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clown418 View Post
Hello
I just download the last Korean firmware (YP-S3_MSC_VER_1.05) and I only see a S3.ROM in the zip file... do I have to create manually a Config.dat file?

Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM

You can find it on the Korean Samsung site or in the Global download centre:
http://www.samsung.com/download/index.aspx?agreement=y

Look for the YP-S3 without the "J"

By the way, since October 16, there is a 1.11 version. (But the file name is weird, I haven't try it for now.)

You can also check on the topic "All Samsung Frimwares"
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=32690

Hope it will work for you!

I try the 1.11KR version and it work well. Just have to rename de weird file to S3.ROM

Last edited by clown418; 10-21-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:46 PM

Default Which YP-S3 model number do you choose?

Which YP-S3 model number do you choose? Besides not having a "J" in the model name, does it matter which one you choose? There are 25 different YP-S3 models which do not have the "J" to choose from.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown418 View Post
You can find it on the Korean Samsung site or in the Global download centre:
http://www.samsung.com/download/index.aspx?agreement=y

Look for the YP-S3 without the "J"

By the way, since October 16, there is a 1.11 version. (But the file name is weird, I haven't try it for now.)

I try the 1.11KR version and it work well. Just have to rename de weird file to S3.ROM

Old 11-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Samsung Moderator

Just choose the 1.11UMS KR in my "all firmwares thread"
I updated it today

Old 11-17-2008, 01:43 PM

No, I meant which YP-S3 model number. There are 20 different non-"J" type models to choose from. I know that I need the latest UMS KR BIOS. By the way, Samsung uses the other name for UMS: MSC. They don't actually say UMS. You might want to edit your posts to include MSC. You might want to change all mention of simply UMS to MSC (UMS). Just a suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Just choose the 1.11UMS KR in my "all firmwares thread"
I updated it today

Old 11-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Samsung Moderator

We don't care of models and the name MSC/UMS. All people here are used to say "UMS"
You can use any firmware on any model. Don't use the download center of Samsung which makes no sense. Use my firmwares thread and chose any firmware (MTP or UMS)

Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 AM

Default Config.dat for S3 firmware uprade? Reply to Thread

hello

I just bought a S3, and want to use it under linux. does somebody know where to find a precise way of doing it ? i'm novice, and the words "change de firmware to 1.11" are meaningless for me. i need to know where to put the file s3j.rom exactly, the file config.dat and so on. is there a topic here ?

thanks by advance ;o)

Jeff

Old 11-27-2008, 10:55 PM

Page

Jeff,
  1. You will need to convert your YP-S3 from the Microsoft MTP proprietary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol (pain in the arse) format to MSC\UMS format http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mas...e_device_class . To accomplish this, the easiest way is to ask (or beg) a friend who has a Windows XP or Vista system to allow you to use his machine for a few minutes. Print these instructions for reference.
  2. Download the latest YP-S3 MSC\UMS BIOS from Samsung. Currently, the latest BIOS version is v1.11. It will be in a 12.1 MB ZIP file. BTW, the actual BIOS filename is "S3.ROM", not "S3j.ROM." This thread has the complete list. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=32690 Either download it on your friend's machine or burn it to a CD on your machine along with the config.dat file mentioned below.
  3. Create a standard text file in NotePad, WordPad or similar text editor named "config.dat" with the following 2 lines:
    YP-S3
    KR KO UMS

If you're feeling brave, instead of the above, try this instead. It is supposed to work (reported on another forum), but I'm not 100% sure. It would upgrade your BIOS directly into English instead of Korean. If you're successful, be sure and report your results here:
    YP-S3
    US US UMS
  4. You now have the 2 files required to convert your YP-S3 from Microsoft's proprietary MTP format into the universal MSC\UMS format so your Linux machine can use it.

If you're going to use the first set of above lines in your "config.dat" file, your YP-S3 will be in Korean after your upgrade. You will need to switch to English after. Before you apply the upgrade, memorize what your "Settings" menu looks like. It should look like a sprocket. After "Settings", you can get into "Language." In "Language" you have "Menu" and "Contents." "English" should be the first option in both "Menu" and "Contents."
  5. Connect your YP-S3 to the Windows machine via USB. Minimum system requirements for MTP are Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10. Open Windows Explorer and look for S3 in the folder bar. It will not be assigned a drive letter.

Your "S3.ROM" file should already be extracted from the ZIP file. Place both your "S3.ROM" and "config.dat" files in the base or root folder of your S3 device. Do not disconnect your S3 during the transfer. After the transfer is complete, wait 5 seconds, then disconnect. After you disconnect, your S3 should automatically upgrade to the new BIOS.

If you used the Korean command line in your "config.dat" file, turn on your S3 and switch to English. If you used the English command line, it worked correctly and your S3 is in English, please report your results here. If the English command line didn't work, simply edit your "config.dat" file to the Korean version.
That's it. It's not really that hard, except for trying to find another Windows XP machine for the conversion. Good luck and don't forget to report your results here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffej View Post
hello

I just bought a S3, and want to use it under linux. does somebody know where to find a precise way of doing it ? i'm novice, and the words "change de firmware to 1.11" are meaningless for me. i need to know where to put the file s3j.rom exactly, the file config.dat and so on. is there a topic here?

thanks by advance ;o)

Jeff

Old 12-05-2008, 04:00 AM

Default config.dat for s3 firmware upgrade

hello mercury451,
thank you for your guidance to change the s3 bios version from mtp to ums v1.11. everything worked out fine. but there are two things to mention.
first, the music database seems to be mixed-up apropos of the genre. there are several entries for example rock, rock# or rock"
and there are different songs behind these genre.
and second, i can't change the songs by random because my datacasts wil be picked out as well.
anyway ums is much better than mpt.

thanks from germany

matthias

Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Banned

Talking

wow thanks for the info, i have tried the ...

YP-S3
US US UMS

and it works just fine my firmware was upgraded to 1.11 now but i dont have any idea whats new with this firmware? can you pls. tell me what have been added to my s3.. i really dont have idea what firmwares usually do pls. tell me i wanna know as im new to this kind of things.. i jsut followed the instruction of how to upgrade as it sounds good but i dont have any idea what it is for ..

Old 12-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Hello,

I updated my S3 from 1.11EU to 1.11US using Mercury451's Tutorial (s3.ROM and US-Config.dat). The S3 works fine, but I get it also as an MTP Device and not as UMS Device with any Drive-Letter ?!

Any ideas ?

Regards Thomas

Old 12-23-2008, 03:51 AM

Hello,
I have the same problem, updated my S3-JCB as mentioned obove, now firmware is 1.11, but no UMS-Support. And I notized the language didn't change to Korean, so maybe something must have been wrong with the config.dat:
YP-S3
KR KO UMS

Thanks
Bernd

Old 12-23-2008, 03:40 PM

...Meanwhile I tried some more, I deleted the file SYSTEM.VER, copied the config.dat and S3.ROM to the SYSTEM-folder, tried YP-S3-MSC from (I think) Singapore, but still no success. When starting the player, the firmware-upgrade is done, but System-Info still says Firmare 1.11 EU. And no UMS-support.

...sorry, I just saw that I should have edited my last posting instead of sending a new one.
Bernd

Last edited by begruber; 12-23-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:28 AM

I have run into issues. I can get the config file working and it changes to Korean and able to get it to English again, but it seems it is not actually updating the firmware. No matter what I do it stays at 1.50c US (or KR if I use the config file with KR KO in it)

Am I doing something wrong or do I need to downgrade first? If so, how?

I am putting the S3.ROM file in the root directory (not in any of the folders).