android
Old 05-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Help Hmmm, "white screen" on Fuze happening more regularly...

Recent posts on the Rockbox Clip thread reference this "white screen" issue with the Fuze - didn't want to post OT there so...

Have now started to see this happen a bit more often on my 3 week old Fuze8GB+16GB OF than I would like. Have seen this happen twice now in last few days - both times coming as a result of unplugging the Fuze from my PC after extended period [overnight].

Extended hold of the Power up button restores the Fuze perfectly [at least so far].

Have not fully searched ABi yet, but:
- is this a common Fuze thing?
- should I not leave my Fuze plugged into my PC for too long [as the screen does stay on]?
- I bought that clear case/wall charger/accessory pack someone kindly referenced here...Should I charge via the wall charger [or my Tekkeon MP1550] and only plug into PC when I am adding/deleting songs as Marvin and others suggest?

New Fuze 8GB+16GB Toshiba microSDHC, OF: v02.03.31A
WinXP SP2

EDIT:
Have just read up on some older threads - seems this can occur with some frequency but does not appear to be especially damaging...more annoying.

Wonder why this even occurs though? In my case, it seems to be a repeatable phenomenon - I almost always plug all my DAPs into my PC at night before sleep...none of my other players have ever had an issue with this.

Perhaps I should avoid doing this with the Fuze? Need to ping the Sandisk forums too I think...

tia for any and all advice,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 05-19-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It only happened to me two or three times in the 11 months I had mine....but mine was a V1.....don't know if that makes a difference or not though. Since you are in MSC mode, are you doing the "safely remove hardware" before you unplug? Just a thought.....asides from the aforementioned, "use the wall charger instead of the computer" technique.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey Marv
- MSC safely unplug: Nope. See no reason to have to do this.

Just got off phone with Sandisk tech support - pretty helpful actually. Described all my symptoms. Bottom line: they say this is definitely not normal behavior and that I should return/exchange the device.

Of course, the DAP gods are not smiling on me right now - BH Photo has the nerve to be closed for a holiday for the next 2 days... And also, I just checked the receipt - their policy is 15 day return/exchange. I am nearing 30 days so I might have to do some gentle persuasion with them [perhaps I can leverage our new ABi BH friend Henry P for some assistance with an exchange].

Need to contact TDS...Roadtrip!

btw, 1SaleADay sucks the big one - 2 weeks and no delivery of my second Fuze...Those clowns have no clue what is going on...will never do business with them again...

thanks man,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hey Marv
- MSC safely unplug: Nope. See no reason to have to do this.
I've heard others say that too.....maybe so, I'm just saying what works for me....YMMV

Quote:
Just got off phone with Sandisk tech support - pretty helpful actually. Described all my symptoms. Bottom line: they say this is definitely not normal behavior and that I should return/exchange the device.
*snip*
thanks man,
-lestatar
I sure hope it's not the dreaded PEBKAC syndrome!

Old 05-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

LMAO, Marv...
But at least I haven't nearly bricked my PC recently....
[oooh, low blow...sorry]
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
LMAO, Marv...
But at least I haven't nearly bricked my PC recently....
[oooh, low blow...sorry]
I never said I knew everything, did I?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 PM

never had this problem but I always safely unplug mine and do not unplug when i charge it. So it is still plugged in but does not show up in explorer if you know what I mean. Also after doing transfers I always safely remove just in case you never know.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm, maybe I really need to rethink the whole "safely unplug thing"...

Always considered this a throwback safeguard to the early days of USB drives and write caching issues on Win machines.

Forgot to ask Sandisk tech support about this though - hopefully, I just have a on and off lemon of a Fuze and that I can easily exchange it at BH on Friday.

I'd really hate to think that simply unplugging the thing without first safely ejecting it had anything at all to do with my problems. In fact, I would be incredibly surprised if this turns out to be the culprit behind my recent "issues" and would be pretty disappointed in Sandisk for this kind of engineering oversight IMO, especially in 2010.

thanks for the feedback eboyer... :-)
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-20-2010, 04:33 PM

I forgot to mention that I use Windows Vista, not that it should make much difference and I also don't have a SD card in my Fuze.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I had a unusual problem with my fuze, i had not used it for awhile and when i turned it on the screen looked kind of white and then the screen came on , everything was reversed and off center , it was like that for a few seconds and then it came on normal